• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Giving up on Firefox

hardc0re

Gawd
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
869
I'm running the latest Firefox browser on my home machine, it is touted as "the fastest browser", I beg to differ because not only it takes longer to display a page than IE, it also messes up streaming videos(video is all black for a few seconds, sometimes not displayed at all), java functions(search buttons, popups etc), missing page content and also crashes frequently. Anyone else having gripes with firefox performance?

OS: Windows XP SP2
 
No, I'm not. Works great for me at work and at home. Sorry to hear of your troubles.
 
If IE works for you then use it. Firefox hasn't given me any problems but I don't use it as much as I do IE as IE just isn't bad either and more pages are coded to work only with IE.
 
I was running into problems with firefox too... so I've since switched to Opera.
 
Love Firefox, and it's only getting better. It's always had some issues with Java, Flash, and occasionally streaming, but I have no complaints about watching videos. FF2 is much more stable, and there's an FF3 Alpha too.

But if you have no more patience for Firefox, at least try Opera.
 
I have had trouble with it in the past, had to unsinstall it, delete the profile info, and reinstall.

I would recommend you try Opera. Although, I just do not like IE. :p
 
If you *don't* have problems, Firefox can be GREAT with all the plugins you can get. Let's see what I've got:

- no ads of any kind - auto-updated definitions of what ads to block
- alt+click reveals a word's definition or answers.com/wikipedia entry (neat little balloon pops up)
- today's weather and several-day forecast in bottom right of status bar
- simple button to switch to IE engine (loads IE *inside* firefox), incase a page doesnt view correctly
- options to translate entire page via right-click
- image-zoom adjustment via right-click
- SiteAdvisor (available for IE too) to warn about unsafe sites when searching/visiting
- Firefox's default download manager, with ability to pause/resume

Indeed, as long as you aren't having problems, it's WELL worth it. Is there some kind of troubleshooting you can do? Do you need to install the new Java or some codecs?

If you need codecs: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm (stay away from Ace Mega codec pack and others. This one won't ruin compatibility with games, or cause other problems as far as I know)

Java: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
 
- no ads of any kind - auto-updated definitions of what ads to block

No offense, but you might consider reading the [H]ardForum rules sometime. I know Firefox has some of that stuff in it, as most browsers do these days, but specific talk about that sort of thing is a complete no-no around here. We all know this about that, but to actively tout that feature in a browser is where the shit will hit the fan.

Need proof?

"(23) Any discussion of AD BLOCKING software or instruction for using ad blocking regarding this forum or any other discussion in general of attempting to block advertisement will result in a no questions asked permanent ban on your account. This is not done lightly, rather deliberately to deny access to those who choose to utilize this forum, but not support our sponsors. It takes money to finance the cost of bandwidth, especially a forum of this size and if you don't care enough to support us through our advertisers, then we don't need your business. This will be the only warning with no discussion.

From the [H]ardForum rules... CYA is the best rule to live by. :)
 
None of those issues here...

-Larry

I'm running the latest Firefox browser on my home machine, it is touted as "the fastest browser", I beg to differ because not only it takes longer to display a page than IE, it also messes up streaming videos(video is all black for a few seconds, sometimes not displayed at all), java functions(search buttons, popups etc), missing page content and also crashes frequently. Anyone else having gripes with firefox performance?

OS: Windows XP SP2
 
I'm running the latest Firefox browser on my home machine, it is touted as "the fastest browser", I beg to differ because not only it takes longer to display a page than IE, it also messes up streaming videos(video is all black for a few seconds, sometimes not displayed at all), java functions(search buttons, popups etc), missing page content and also crashes frequently. Anyone else having gripes with firefox performance?

OS: Windows XP SP2

FF was never touted as the fastest browser, Opera does tho (there are a few other but they are soo stripped down that is the reason for their speed)

FF can be as fast or as slow as what you do with it, if you have a million and one extensions it will be slower to use then windows is to boot. Likewise if yr HD is quite fragmented then it will be slow as well (as it caches data)

Personally I would backup yr bookmarks (or use the google sync extension), delete the FF profile, defrag and start afresh
 
Figured out the problem .... the crap adblock addon i had running was slowing down browsing tremendously. un-installed it and now and performance increased 10 fold. The media streaming issues i fixed by updating media player.
 
Back
Top