Giving others permissions to edit mail distribution lists? (Exchange)

I have a client that would like to add and remove users to mail groups, both internal email and external, without having to call IT to add the user via AD and Exchange.

How can I go about accommodating them? I am IT in this case, and in the past they just called us to do the work. They're now under new management, and would like to take care of small things like this without having to consult us.

I have no problem with it, as they pay me to do it, or they pay me to fix it if they break it (like another client did)...I simply don't know of any way to give them the permissions they want like is possible with calendars, without having them log into either the AD or the Exchange servers...which I don't want them doing.

They will need access to the tools. You can install them remotely; they don't need to live on the servers. Just install them to their desktop and give them the rights and you should be good to go. And you can expect some extra funds in your future when they mess it up. :)

The alternate solution would be to whip up some form of easy-to-use powershell scripts for the common tasks and install the shells on their workstation instead. Still dangerous, but if you give them entry points as shortcuts, it might make things harder to break.

don't need to install any tools.

just give them appropriate access rights, they can edit the list members through Outlook directly.
typically the rights are given to department managers.

Back