Girlfriend just bought me a 9600XT, should I be happy?

Duck-BOT

2[H]4U
Just like the title says, my girlfriend just ordered me 9600XT for my birthday.

Now I'm not one to complain, I'm not the one that bought it and what not, but I'm just trying to see what kind of performance boost I would get over my GeForce3 Ti200 128mb ddr, or if there was a better bang for buck @ $160 (to make sure she didn't waste money).

System specs:

Intel P4 2.8E
Abit IC7-G MaxII
1gb of Samsung PC2700
SB Audigy1
Windows XP SP1
IBM Deskstar 80gb 7200RPM

edit: p.s. I had no idea she would be ordering it so, no flaming on omg 9800pro lol, just wondering if its as good as it gets @ $160

That's a nice upgrade from a GeForce3 no doubt. But grrrrr new cards are soooo close to coming out. I would have asked for pen0r pleasure and waited for the next generation. :p

You might be able to find a 9800 non pro for about that same price.

You should just be happy, she did a kind thing for you. And yes it'll backhand that Ti-200 of yours. I'm sure she could of found a slightly better deal but $160 sounds about right for a brand new 9600XT.

However you should just be happy you have a girlfriend like that! (Actually esstatic is more like it.)

Originally posted by Yiffy
You should just be happy, she did a kind thing for you. And yes it'll backhand that Ti-200 of yours. I'm sure she could of found a slightly better deal but $160 sounds about right for a brand new 9600XT.

However you should just be happy you have a girlfriend like that! (Actually esstatic is more like it.)

Oh trust me I'm more than ecstatic, she bought me that new 2.8E and Abit IC7-G to boot
emot-v.gif

Just curious as to how much it'll slap it, I don't game hardcore and I don't really care about AA or all that fun stuff, but as long as I get steady framerates I'm good to go :cool:

Originally posted by Duck-BOT
Oh trust me I'm more than ecstatic, she bought me that new 2.8E and Abit IC7-G to boot
emot-v.gif

Just curious as to how much it'll slap it, I don't game hardcore and I don't really care about AA or all that fun stuff, but as long as I get steady framerates I'm good to go :cool:

What ever you do...

Don't EVER break up with her! :eek:

Originally posted by Yiffy
What ever you do...

Don't EVER break up with her! :eek:

i%20011.jpg

Nah, not going to happen ;)

Thanks for the comparison tracer, helps a lot :)

Dude... chicks that buy their men computer parts rock! Even if she screwed up and bought you a GF2, be happy based on the principal of it. Just educate her so she knows what to buy next time... Doesn't sound like thats a problem for you though. Enjoy your upgrade but more importantly... HANG ON TO HER!

You best be sure to pay her back, and I hope you know what I'm talking about. You need to take her downtown for a present like that. Especially on a fine example of female architecture like that.

You should be proud of your gf ...........none of the chicks i've ever went out it would even consider purchasing me a graphic card....lol.....but my current is gettin me some ASUS mobo....so she deserves some nice candle light dinner till the early morning.............

You get nice performance increase over GF3 Ti 200. Also it supports DX9.

Oh trust me I'm more than ecstatic, she bought me that new 2.8E and Abit IC7-G to boot .

:eek:

You realize she wants something for all that, right? That's, like, several hundred dollars of PC hardware.

I'm thinking she's gonna want something several hundred dollars strong, too. You know, with a diamond on it.

Originally posted by dderidex
:eek:

You realize she wants something for all that, right? That's, like, several hundred dollars of PC hardware.

I'm thinking she's gonna want something several hundred dollars strong, too. You know, with a diamond on it.

Look in that picture above. What's on her finger? :x

Look in that picture above. What's on her finger? :x

congrats man - :)

I'm a lucky man to have been married to the same woman for 17 years that puts up with my geekiness.

And back on topic: That 9600XT will far exceed what your GF3Ti200 can do. I used the heck out my Ti200 until my wife bought me my 5700u - I think she secretly wanted the Ti200 for her comp since she has a red mobo and it's a red pcb / hs Gainward. She likes things to match. My BFG 5700u is blue, and so is my GigaByte mobo - so I think my theory is correct.

My eldest daughter has a 9600pro and that card is amazing - handles every thing she throws at it, and she games pretty heavy.

Peace,
Tim

Ah, I have yet to find a girl that likes to game as much as me. It'd be better if I could find a girl that was into hardware too, who could build a water-cooled PC by herself :p. Met some girls who play CS, mostly asian girls, some are pretty hot. Too bad they're not really into hardware :(.

Oops, sorry for thread-crap.

The 9600XT Rocks and will beat your Geforce Ti200 no sweat. I'd say your girlfriend is pretty smart to get you that card, and your pretty lucky to have a girl freind like that. Take her out for dinner !!!!

That 9600XT is going to be the nicest card in that price range. Yes, new cards are coming out, but that thing should last you. The frame-rate you will get should be enough to satisfy any gaming craving you have for the next year or so, especially if you lived for so long with the GF3Ti200.

thats a nice gift!!!

And i would prefer a 9600XT over a 9800 non pro.... you are ok for a while with this card now

if my girlfriend bought me a voodoo2 i would put it in my computer to make her happy. and i would convince her its the great graphics card in the world

Originally posted by Mag Master
a 9800 woulda been nicer...
p.s. I had no idea she would be ordering it so, no flaming on omg 9800pro lol, just wondering if its as good as it gets @ $160

That and who am I to complain when I'm not the one buying it? I mean getting a 9800 as being "nicer" is a given.

That 9600XT is going to be the nicest card in that price range. Yes, new cards are coming out, but that thing should last you. The frame-rate you will get should be enough to satisfy any gaming craving you have for the next year or so, especially if you lived for so long with the GF3Ti200.

Yeah I know, I'm not picky about my framerates, but as long as it's half decent I'm fine with it.

I've had this GeForce3 Ti since summer of 2002. :(

emot-v.gif

I cant believe your asking if your gonna get a performance boost over a ti200:confused:

Your too lucky to have presents like that!

my girlfriend just buys me games since i already have a good enough computer :p she also plays games so we get along just fine. whenever she comes over, we play games on my computer for a while! hahaha.

i'd show a pic of us but i guess i cant do that on this forum.

bascically, its great to have a girl that takes an interest in what i like, so im happy. with a new 9600xt, you should be verryyy happy :) congrats. :D

Originally posted by Taurus
I cant believe your asking if your gonna get a performance boost over a ti200:confused:

Your too lucky to have presents like that!

Oh I know that I'll be getting a boost, but how much was my original question.

I am happy, my gf bought me a dell 1801fp and a 9800 pro. :D :D

The only thing that could be better would be having a GF that got you the 9600 'cuz she secretly wanted to have one for herself.

I remember, back in HS, I had this GF that got me a Gravis Ultrasound. She really wanted it for herself, but decided to get it for me instead.

damn. Some days, I still miss her.

Originally posted by somecallmeTim
congrats man - :)

I'm a lucky man to have been married to the same woman for 17 years that puts up with my geekiness.

And back on topic: That 9600XT will far exceed what your GF3Ti200 can do. I used the heck out my Ti200 until my wife bought me my 5700u - I think she secretly wanted the Ti200 for her comp since she has a red mobo and it's a red pcb / hs Gainward. She likes things to match. My BFG 5700u is blue, and so is my GigaByte mobo - so I think my theory is correct.

My eldest daughter has a 9600pro and that card is amazing - handles every thing she throws at it, and she games pretty heavy.

Peace,
Tim
wanna adopt me?

Back