girl outfits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say, I lol'd at the red marks on her knees.

Ha, I'm fine with it as long as the dudes are in nothing but cocksocks or something.

This is never going to change because it's what sells and will continue to sell unless there is some huge, ultra-conservative paradigm shift in global culture . You should see the Asian MMOs: same thing but sub-18 looking.

Venting on forums helps though, I guess.

This is never going to change because it's what sells and will continue to sell unless there is some huge, ultra-conservative paradigm shift in global culture . You should see the Asian MMOs: same thing but sub-18 looking.
It's not really a matter of being conservative, it's just respecting women.

Thanks for the post OP; it made me laugh. I think some genres are getting better at doing this right, but MMO isn't one of them.

I hope she realizes that the majority of women WANT their characters to look like this!

Why? Because just as men like to imagine themselves, through their roleplay character, to be very tall and muscular alpha male super strong warriors, most women want to be viewed as effeminate and sexy and frown upon outfits that make them look fat or bulky.

Want real proof?

Look at motorcycle protective gear. Early on the gear was virtually identical to that cut for males and very effective and not femine looking at all. Guess what? WOMEN HATED IT! Since the early 90s, motorcycling is becoming more and more popular now with females once they stated selling what the untapped female market really wanted, GIRLY STUFF. They didn't want big bull-dyke motorcycles and protective gear, they wanted smaller more effeminte looking motorcycles with curvacious slim lines and pearl white paint like the Gladius. And more importantly for protective gear, even though its real life and they KNOW that their are putting their own safety at risk for it, the top selling gear is the stuff that offers far less protection but looks sexy and is skin tight with minimal armor and shows off an hour glass figure. Basically things that they try on in the store, look at themselves in the tall mirror, and go "Damn, I'd do me!!! I'll take it!"

And lets face it, what are a woman's strengths?

Women know that generally speaking, without artificial hormones and the like women are weak and they certainly wouldn't make good melee soldiers. They can't even compete in the modern age with the great equalizer, firearms, which is why we have lower standards for women (otherwise almost none would make the cut). And just about every hot girl (and their jealous beta rivals) learn very early on that SEXINESS is POWER. Its human nature that you try to maximize your strengths and focus on those, and a female sword and shield foot soldier knows that as just a regular "GI Joe" she would be one of the worst of the worst.

Sadly this is the end result of the patriarchy. Women are sexualised far to much and as such this stuff happens. It doesn't help that men just accept it.

and what about all those sexy cosplay girls that likes to dress like these characters?

It doesn't help that men just accept it.
So women WANT to look sexy, the overwhelming majority would pick a sexy looking outfit over a frumpy one in a fantasy game, men enjoy the sexiness too which is pleasing to look at, and this is somehow a problem?

Should men frown upon sexy outfits that young females prefer, and call them sluts?

Lets use a great real world example. Which culture in the world do we know of that says that seeing a woman's body is very disrespectful and needs to be covered up, to the point that only eye-slits are visible? Hmmmm...

I think it was strict muslims, and as we all know, women have SO MUCH more power in fundementalist Islamic states that will not tolerate skimpy outfits than places like France where women often go braless in thin silk shirts around town and go tits-out at the beach more often than not. :rolleyes: ;)

So women WANT to look sexy, the overwhelming majority would pick a sexy looking outfit over a frumpy one in a fantasy game, men enjoy the sexiness too which is pleasing to look at, and this is somehow a problem?

Should men frown upon sexy outfits that young females prefer, and call them sluts?

Lets use a great real world example. Which culture in the world do we know of that says that seeing a woman's body is very disrespectful and needs to be covered up, to the point that only eye-slits are visible? Hmmmm...

I think it was strict muslims, and as we all know, women have SO MUCH more power in fundementalist Islamic states that will not tolerate skimpy outfits than places like France where women often go braless in thin silk shirts around town and go tits-out at the beach more often than not. :rolleyes: ;)

I'll just leave this.

I hope she realizes that the majority of women WANT their characters to look like this!

Why? Because just as men like to imagine themselves, through their roleplay character, to be very tall and muscular alpha male super strong warriors, most women want to be viewed as effeminate and sexy and frown upon outfits that make them look fat or bulky.

Sure, they want to look nice when chilling out in the lobby or walking around town, but when they're about to attack an epic boss, there's a huge disconnect between the heavily armored male warrior and the female warrior that only has a few skimpy articles of clothing. It breaks the whole role-play suspension of disbelief.

In your motorcycle example, sure it's form fitting and has lighter armor, but it's still functional to a degree. As a crappy analogy for a game outfit (and in mmo's particularly) the gear wouldn't actually be gear but it'd basically be a leather bikini. There's a difference between less functional/sexy/stylish and full on dropping all pretense of any functionality.

I've chatted with female guildmates about this topic before and while you're right that some women want their characters to look nice and/or sexy, it has to make sense in the context of the game.

It sells.
That's why character concept designers design like that.

As for why you can't customise your character to wear bulky armour is it distracts from the time that designers could be designing more scalemail bikinis.... I guess.
Some women like it though, just as some guys like the Conan look.
conan-the-barbarian-arnold-schwarzenegger-movie-image.jpg

In your motorcycle example, sure it's form fitting and has lighter armor, but it's still functional to a degree. As a crappy analogy for a game outfit (and in mmo's particularly) the gear wouldn't actually be gear but it'd basically be a leather bikini.
When is the last time you went to Daytona? I've been four times now for bike week.

A huge portion of the girls that actually ride if on Harleys have assless chaps with a bikini underneath, and a leather vest on that pushes their tits up.

Even the quality stuff usually has no typical elbow, shoulder, or back protector built in like virtually all male ones do, because while it makes a male if anything look bulkier (a good thing), it looks quite masculine on women and they don't like it. My sister's jacket if you raised your arms you see midriff.

This is one of Icon's most popular women's armor, and things much bulkier aren't popular with women because it makes them look like broad shouldered barrel chested men. WOMEN'S choice, and if personal safety were 100% out of the equation, I'm sure it would be much tighter and much skimpier. What do young attractive women dress up as on Halloween or for cosplay? Do they prefer big heavy armor that makes them look genderless, or do they like things that show off their body? Yeah, female choice.
8747942618_9f196a7f93_z.jpg

The victimized feminazis do NOT represent most women.

Dude, which side on you on?
Why do people have to break everything down into "sides" these days. Jesus Christ...

Ducman sure knows a lot about how women feel despite not being one. I'm sure there are some women who want the skimpy character models. And perhaps in the motorcycle community, a small subset of the population, women want to look as skimpy as possible. However, it sure seemed to bother the author of the blog post in the OP.

But one has to wonder why gaming is so skewed towards men and has been for such a long time. I'd argue the blatant misogyny that is latent in the industry is a big part. It's particularly bad on this forum.

I'm sure there are some women who want the skimpy character models. And perhaps in the motorcycle community, a small subset of the population, women want to look as skimpy as possible.

Nah, they've just been brainwashed by misogynistic men to think that way...;)

Ducman sure knows a lot about how women feel despite not being one.
No less qualified that a single woman claiming to be voice for all of femdom.
I'm sure there are some women who want the skimpy character models.
And I'm sure there are some men who want bikinis for very slender effeminately drawn male Elf characters to fulfill their fantasies (Long Live Xandir!!!).

The question is mass appeal, and the majority would go "ew gay" just as the majority of women would go "ew bulldyke" if you made the practical armor for female characters (in a fantasy game).

Yes, ideally the developers could give everyone a choice, the males could have really feminine outfits and the females could have really masculine outfits as options, but it all costs time and money so they create what SELLS to the most people.

While these games should offer a variety of armor styles for players to wear, I get tired of hearing about how it is unrealistic to be fighting in these bikini type outfits. You're playing a game where magic items are as common as litter on the road side. In a world with magic, there is no reason a bikini can't offer the exact same protection as full plate. In fact it would be better since it wouldn't restrict your movement as much.

Why do people have to break everything down into "sides" these days. Jesus Christ...

Ducman sure knows a lot about how women feel despite not being one. I'm sure there are some women who want the skimpy character models. And perhaps in the motorcycle community, a small subset of the population, women want to look as skimpy as possible. However, it sure seemed to bother the author of the blog post in the OP.

But one has to wonder why gaming is so skewed towards men and has been for such a long time. I'd argue the blatant misogyny that is latent in the industry is a big part. It's particularly bad on this forum.

Very true. Lots of cognitive dissonance going around here....

I've talked to plenty of women and time and time again I've been told that the whole sexualization thing turns them off from games.

So what if some women want the super sexy look? What about those that don't and are even repulsed by it? It's all very easy for men to say because we've never been pigeon-holed to certain ways like women have.

Just think what women go through to meet "society's" standards. They have to spend lots of time and money on makeup, learning how to apply it and be consciouss if it looks good. They pierce their ears, hurt their feet with heels etc. etc.

It's all very easy for men to say because we've never been pigeon-holed to certain ways like women have.
Oh really, is that so. Please step off your white horse real quick Sir Knight and explain to the class how women are more pigeonholed than men into fulfilling certain roles and expectations within modern society (and please don't give me some, "Well, ya see, back in 1842 when there was slavery and women..." nonsense). This should be good. *pops popcorn*
Just think what women go through to meet "society's" standards. They have to spend lots of time and money on makeup, learning how to apply it and be consciouss if it looks good. They pierce their ears, hurt their feet with heels etc. etc.
Islamic women do none of this, and in fact would likely be stoned if they did try to doll themselves up. Weird too how so many girls like to give each other makeovers even if its just a sleepover and they won't see any guys that night. Why would they want to feel pretty and feminine? Clearly this is oppression, and we need to implement Sharia Law to protect these women from being FORCED to wear attractive clothing, high heels, and generally accentuate female qualities to make themselves more attractive.

And last I checked, most men could give two rats asses about diamond earings, the size of a woman's diamond ring, or a pearl necklace (unless he gave it to her). Many women do this to impress and feel superior to other women, (ie the typical "I'm prettier and have more money than her etc"), and isn't forced by men or worn for men.

Last edited:
Lmao... Why don't they just protest and wear assassins creed outfits or something bulky of that nature. If they don't like the job, then quit or stfu if you can't quit. Sex sells and will always sell. The sexiest human body,98% of those are females, is something that draws attention and pulls majority of crowds in. Fat men and women draw attention, but not I'n the most positive way...usually comical. It's the truth.

So either this blogger has the job and hates it, or despises sexy bodies. Quit whining and do something about it. You do not have to conform to any standards. This is AMERICA where we do what we want to express ourselves.

I bet they are protesting Abercrombie right now......

Oh really, is that so. Please step off your white horse real quick Sir Knight and explain to the class how women are more pigeonholed than men into fulfilling certain roles and expectations within modern society (and please don't give me some, "Well, ya see, back in 1842 when there was slavery and women..." nonsense). This should be good. *pops popcorn*
Please, women have dealt with oppression since time began, you can't possibly expect things to change overnight. I estimate it'll be another 50-100 years before women can finally say they are equal, just because a man cares doesn't make him a "white knight". Would you say the same for a woman caring about men's issues?

Islamic women do none of this, and in fact would likely be stoned if they did try to doll themselves up. Weird too how so many girls like to give each other makeovers even if its just a sleepover and they won't see any guys that night. Why would they want to feel pretty and feminine? Clearly this is oppression, and we need to implement Sharia Law to protect these women from being FORCED to wear attractive clothing, high heels, and generally accentuate female qualities to make themselves more attractive.
Yes, it is bad to the opposite extreme. It's very bad either way. Even in school there's the idea of men do better at math so, for example, a teacher will most likely ask a male for the answer to a question than a woman.

And last I checked, most men could give two rats asses about diamond earings, the size of a woman's diamond ring, or a pearl necklace (unless he gave it to her). Many women do this to impress and feel superior to other women, (ie the typical "I'm prettier and have more money than her etc"), and isn't forced by men or worn for men.
As well as being bombarded by airbrushed models and the like to look "perfect".

I saw someone else who saw the word feminist which cased him to close his window which then caused me to close my window.

"Feminism" I still will always regard as a poor choice of title.
Either that or I don't follow their ideals.

Please, women have dealt with oppression since time began, you can't possibly expect things to change overnight. I estimate it'll be another 50-100 years before women can finally say they are equal, just because a man cares doesn't make him a "white knight". Would you say the same for a woman caring about men's issues?

The only true creator of inequality is money. I rich woman is far greater than a poor man in every term aside from strength...but she can hire people for that...but a rich woman and a rich man are also not equal as equality is an illusion....as always will be as long as money exist.

Please, women have dealt with oppression since time began, you can't possibly expect things to change overnight.
Not only do I disagree and feel that being a woman in Western society is "easy mode", but its a complete tangent.
Even in school there's the idea of men do better at math so, for example, a teacher will most likely ask a male for the answer to a question than a woman.
Another tangent, but yeah both females and males attend the same classes together, and males outperform females in standardized testing... perhaps because men and women aren't physically or biochemically identical (imagine that). Men are also able on average to run faster and do more pushups and pullups than females, must be because the PE teacher set higher expectations for males.

BTW, regarding schooling, there are numerous studies that demonstrate that there are lower standards for women to be accepted to schools of engineering or mathematics than their male counterparts. Damn discrimination! ;)
As well as being bombarded by airbrushed models and the like to look "perfect".
Yeah, because the guys on Men's Fitness Magazine or average Joes with hairy bellies. And certainly there are no cultural norms about roles that men are expected to fulfill. Women can dress masculine or feminine be both strong and outspoken or helpless and cry and last I checked still get dibs for getting off a sinking ship and hardly ever pay for drinks for a guy or their date's meals. Anyway, so what's her name, and are you sure she's even reading this thread Azureth? :D

"Feminism" I still will always regard as a poor choice of title.
Either that or I don't follow their ideals.

The problem is that the word has been raped. It used to mean "women making their own decisions about their lives". Now it means "women who think certain ways on certain political issues"...and women who disagree are "anti-woman".

Another tangent, but yeah both females and males attend the same classes together, and males outperform females in standardized testing... perhaps because men and women aren't physically or biochemically identical (imagine that). Men are also able on average to run faster and do more pushups and pullups than females, must be because the PE teacher set higher expectations for males.
And there are numerous studies that show a self-fulfilling gender bias in science and engineering education. Our society promotes the idea that things like mechanics/engines/cars are the domain of men. But then when taking an engineering course, questions are posed that are based around engine terminology for example. Of course some women are going to have a hard time with such a question when they don't even know the terminology because society determined in advance that it wasn't a "womanly" pursuit.

You saying that being a woman in western society is somehow "easier" shows how little you understand history. How is it easy when for a long time you were allowed no representation in your government, you weren't allowed into many jobs, you still don't have equal pay with your male counterparts in many jobs, you are objectified by a large segment of society... a segment of society that will then often blame you for dressing like "a slut" if you happen to be taken advantage of by a man.

I don't pretend to understand what it's like to be a woman in modern Western society any more than I understand what it's like to be a minority. Of course it's better than being a woman in an ultra-conservative society like Islam theocracies. We can all cherry pick extremes. But a little humility would do you good. When people pidgeonhole others using labels like "feminazi", all you are doing is making sure you never risk learning something from people different than yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back