Gigabyte Z68 UD4 Mobo i5 2500k overclock LLC vs Dynamic

Aumakua

Limp Gawd
So I got caught speeding, tried OC to 4.6 before making 100% sure everything under that was working. But I am back on the right track now, with the Gigabyte boards/bios I just am not sure which method I should persue. Here is what I have been able to get a stable OC at:

Bios version F5
4.4 core speed with turbos
PLL CPU Overvoltage = Auto
RAM is rated 9-9-9-24 1T 1600 which is how I have it set

using manual Voltage (1.275) and LLC level 6 (level 5 wasn't stable, level 6 raised voltage by 0.012 and I guess that worked) I am getting 10 passes on intel burn using max memory, temps are 62 degrees and 66 degrees on core 3 (which is always higher), idle jumps from 29-32. Voltage in idle goes from 1.272 to 1.284. Voltage under load mainly goes from 1.296 to 1.308 but sometimes jumps to 1.332.

Now the other option is:

using "normal" voltage and the dynamic rating of +0.125 I also run stable, the idle temps and load temps are the SAME, but voltage is a little different. Under load its the same normal 1.296 to 1.308 but maxes at 1.344 (although this is rarely seen). BUT at idle it goes from 0.996 to 1.044 with the occasional jump to 1.116.

So it seems like they both run the same voltage and temps under load and are both stable, but one will volt down a ton more (using Dynamic which doesn't allow you to use LLC at the same time). The question is, which is better for the CPU? to have the volts be a ton lower when not pushing the CPU or to have a more stable voltage all the time?

Also when trying for over 4.4 should I use one method over the other for stability? I am not sure if I will go higher though because when I was toying with 4.6 I had load voltage around 1.35 and it was still not stable! might just have a bad chip and can't go that high, or I will need to go 1.40 volts which is not worth it to me for the small increase in performance over 4.4

Voltage offset allows the voltage to drop when idle. Setting a fixed voltage does not.
Also, you will reach a point where you have to really put the voltage to it to get to the next step and is usually not worth it to most people.

right, I understand the differences, but does it matter? is it better to have the voltage drop when not needed?

Less power use at idle. From what I have read, a lot of people have had success using either mode for overclocking. If you are sticking at 4.4, and it is stable with the offset mode, then that is what I would do.

was considering this combo in the near future, please keep us updated, thanks.

I am having a similar problem with my board I can not get past x44. I can post at 45 but can not get it to read the HDD I have tried upping the System agent voltage to .92 and Multi-step Load-line to level 3 I pushed the volts to 1.420 but still no go. I think I have hit the wall that Paragon was talking about here
Paragon said:
Also, you will reach a point where you have to really put the voltage to it to get to the next step and is usually not worth it to most people.

Just for a reference I am stable in everything at
Turbo x44
vcore: 1.385
QPI/VTT: 1.060
Multi-steps Load-Line: Disabled
Load Vcore: Prim95 the voltage drops to 1.332 (-0.048) and in Intel Burn test it stays at about 1.308 (-.072)
The voltage still drops a bit.

Heres my thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1667181 If anyone has any advice.

Last edited:
If you hit a wall around 4.5, try turning on Internal PLL Overvoltage, if it isn't already. That normally will get you another couple of multipliers before you hit a wall again.

^I'm going to try that her in a couple of minutes. You have helped me out a lot so thanks. I assume this is a simple enabled disabled type deal and not a leveled setting or a voltage correct?

^I'm going to try that her in a couple of minutes. You have helped me out a lot so thanks. I assume this is a simple enabled disabled type deal and not a leveled setting or a voltage correct?

Yes, enabled or disabled.

I enabled PLL overvoltage like you said and it booted right up into the OS I am having to push my voltages up a bit. I keep getting a 0x124 BSOD immediately while running prime 95.

I can get into the os on 1.9 QPI/VTT: 1.060 but no go on prime. I have been systematically upping my vcore and my QPI/VTT, and sytem agent voltage because on x44 I would get the x124 bsod and upping my QPI/VTT helped make it stable but before more vcore helped. Should I be increasing one at a time then if upping the vcore fails when i reach 1.500 or so i back it back down and start increasing QPI/VTT.

Multi x45
vcore: 1.425
QPI/VTT: 1.080
System agent voltage: .930
Intel CPU PLL overvoltage: enabled
Multi-steps Load-Line: Level 1

What's your actual load voltage? LLC of 1 might be letting Vcore droop too low under load.

Under Load I hover around 1.394. Upping my LLC helped me get it stable.

I am going to try to lower it a bit and lower System Agent Voltage (VCCSA) and the vcore a bit and see how stable I am.

I am running prime95 blend right now and It has been stable for about 20 minutes so that is good. These are the settings I am at right now.

Multi: 45
Vcore 1.435
QPI/VTT:1.1
system agent: .925
PLL Overvolt: enabled
LLC: level 3

Back