GIGABYTE z370 Gaming 7 audio? GOOD?

GetFunk01

Gawd
I have a sound blaster Z addin card. I just got the GIGABYTE z370 gaming 7. It has a ESS Saber Dac and a texas instruments amp. Should I use the onboard or use the sound blaster Z add-in card. Driving Beryerdynamic DT990 250ohm headphones.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I've been using the z270 Gaming 7 for a year now and I love the Core3D and OPA2134 hardware implementation. It's friggin loud through my Sennheiser PC360s. The important thing is there's zero electrical noise. Noise isolation is very important to me.

When Gigabyte launched the z370 Gaming 7, I was a bit perplexed as to why they went with a Creative software + Realtek hardware solution. The new DAC on the z370 Gaming 7 looks like it could be really good though.

I say try both and report back. I'd be interested to know if Realtek + a good DAC is all hype or no.

The analog stage on these motherboards is more important to the sound quality than some digital to analog converter chip.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I've been using the z270 Gaming 7 for a year now and I love the Core3D and OPA2134 hardware implementation. It's friggin loud through my Sennheiser PC360s. The important thing is there's zero electrical noise. Noise isolation is very important to me.

When Gigabyte launched the z370 Gaming 7, I was a bit perplexed as to why they went with a Creative software + Realtek hardware solution. The new DAC on the z370 Gaming 7 looks like it could be really good though.

I say try both and report back. I'd be interested to know if Realtek + a good DAC is all hype or no.

That ESS Sabre chip on the z370 Gaming 7 is pretty nice (ESS9018Q2C): http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...bre-hifi-stereo-integrated-dacs/sabre9018q2c/

Sound Blaster Z DAC (Cirrus Logic CS4398): https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs4398/

Implementation is key, as usual. But yes, the OP should try both and update us -- I'm curious myself.

DT990s are pretty nice headphones to use for a comparison.

The Sound Blaster Z sounds Way more open. Tight Bass, Punchy bass, Very Bright. Bass Boost helps alot. I had to EQ the treble down about 6db. The sibilance is real. Audio is very clean and has amazing detail. Huge sound stage. So large,i find myself looking behind me and scaring myself thinking people are walking up on me. Could use more volume, but does get loud enough for most people. The Onboard audio of the gaming 7 is MUCH warmer sound. Almost too much bass. Not as tight, more boomy mid bass. The MIDs are even more recessed. I find my self turning up the audio past conformable listening lvles just to get the vocals to an enjoyable volume. Sound stage looses some of its openness and the details are missing. Sibilance is gone, no EQ needed. Headphone amp only works from the front port audio jacks.. The Killer, Tons of audio Poping from the front jacks. If im listen to youtube, but not actively on that tab in my browers, the poping is non stop. If im in the browser tab with the audio, much less poping audio. No popping from the rear jacks, but you loose the AMP. The onboard audio makes my DT990 sound like open Razer Headphones. Ill be testing the SoundBlaster AE-5 this weekend..

I don't trust the onboard audio on any motherboard until I've heard it plugged into sensitive headphones with a gpu running.

It's 2018.

I've tried hundreds.

None have passed the test.

Not one.

Get your sound outside of your case.

Soundblaster AE-5 installed.. HOLY SHIT. Sounds STAGE IS HUGE. Volume is insane. Same tracks where i used to listen at 90+ volume, Now around 45 is so loud i cant stand it.. Mids brought back inline with the rest of the audio. Bass is strong, solid, but not overpowering and muddy like the onboard. The Sibilance is back, and needs EQ to bring it down a bit.. Very impressed with this sound card.. No hiss or popping. This card really brings DT990 250ohms alive..

Thanks for your observations!

Sounds like the AE-5 is the right fit for you then, unless you want to go with an external DAC/AMP.

Back