Gigabyte Z170X SOC Force Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Hardware Asylum just published a review of the Gigabyte Z170X SOC Force today. For comparison purposes, you can see our recent evaluation here.

Like always overclocking the Z170X SOC Force is extremely easy and supports a wide variety of scenarios from straight BCLK adjustments to CPU Multiplier and everything inbetween. Those looking to overclock memory will like all of the available memory options along with a few pre-defined defaults for some of the more popular kits.

Gigabyte makes solid boards and I've had good with them in the past, but I haven't been impressed with their Z170 offerings. I had the Z170 Gaming GT, which is 1 step below their top of the line Z170 board, and it throttled the current supplied to an i7 6700k at the most basic overclock (4.2GHz). I could not set any parameters in the BIOS/UEFI to make it quit throttling. I ended up with an Asrock Z170 OC Formula, which doesn't have all the features of the Gigabyte Z170 GT, but it gives the CPU the current it needs to run at the speed I set.

Back