Gigabyte X58A-UD5, continuous reboot/post cycle w/ >1 USB devices

kmeson

Limp Gawd
Hi folks, just installed this board and it cycles the post sequence with more than 1 USB device connected. Basically anything more than a keyboard and it continuously reboots the post sequence. The diagnostic readout goes to 65h - initialize PS/2 mouse (really in this day in age!) then reboots.

At the moment I boot with just keyboard and once Windows comes up plug in the rest of my USB devices. It's a pain but gets me here.

Looking for addition troubleshooting advice. Here's what I've tried:

• Removed all add in cards, with exception of video
  • Numerous combinations of USB devices include several keyboards and mice (all work on other machines)
  • Reseat ram, power, and all fans connected to board
  • Connection all fans to PSU, with exception of HSF
  • Disable extraneous BIOS features including USB 3, Sata 3, etc
  • Update to beta bios F2d (latest as of 1.12.10)
  • Load BIOS safe defaults
I did not see a BIOS option to disable PS2 devices, but I could have missed it. No overclocks or tweaking yet.

Specs:
PSU, Seasonic M12-700watt PSU (carry over from last machine)
920-D0
H50 HSF
12gig Corsair Dominator 1600@C8 (running 1066)
GTX285
8800GT (physx)
Xfi (PCI, fatal1ty, super old now)
x25m 160g G2
2x 150g raptors
1.5tb seagate
2.0tb seagate

Edit:

This board just seems to get worse by the hour. No longer getting audio from Xfi. I'd say it was a power issue if it weren't for the fact I can pair it down to bare bones and still experience these problems.

Fortunately Newegg will refund me, standard return. Not sure what to replace it with. Just looking for a modest OC, don't need usb3/sata3, etc.. Originally I was looking at either the EVAG mATX or Asus mATX boards. Might take a trip to Fry's (WA Renton) and see whats on hand. Advice?

Help much appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
That seems like a load higher than what your psu could handle, but then again it is a seasonic. can you test it with a ps with more wattage

Don't have a PSU with more wattage available atm. Under load, using OCCT, draw from wall is ~450watt. Perhaps during boot, hd spin up etc, it might pull more current than the PSU can supply. Then again according to the M12-700 manual it's Quad-SLI 'Ready'.

I'll try the CMOS reset before installing the a new board.

Replaced with what I was originally planning on getting Asus Rampage II Gene mATX. Works beautifully! First boot.

looks like you just got a bad one then, happens from time to time. glad to see the asus is working good, im getting my p6x58d in monday (damn severe weather here in a california caused ups to hold it for the weekend)

Back