GIGABYTE To Launch World’s First Z68 Motherboards with Onboard mSATA

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE INC., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, today launched their highly anticipated Z68 series motherboards, based on the Intel® Z68 Express Chipset and supporting the new 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors. Delivering the very best that Intel® 6 series chipsets have to offer, including a significant performance boost with Intel® Smart Response Technology, the first ever mSATA drive connectors on a standard desktop PC motherboard, and GIGABYTE’s proprietary Touch BIOS™ technology, GIGABYTE Z68 series motherboards put users in the driver seat, allowing them to take total control over how their system operates and performs to best match their individual computing needs. 11 models are available now, with more than 9 additional models, including at least 4 mSATA versions, to be introduced in June, 2011.

I don't get it. What part is on board? Will the boards have a slow to mount a mSATA attached drive? Or are they just including a SATA -> mSATA connector in the box...

Apparrently mSATA SSDs are now available. About half the width of "normal" SATA and limited to SATA II speeds. Intended fof net books, ebooks, etc I think.

Apparrently mSATA SSDs are now available. About half the width of "normal" SATA and limited to SATA II speeds. Intended fof net books, ebooks, etc I think.
Isuppose this means a smaller socket on the mother board.?

This seems like a waste.

I imagine internal USB 3.0 will trump any need for mSATA II, since USB 3.0 will deliver comparable(if not better) speeds and integrated power.

I don't get it. What part is on board? Will the boards have a slow to mount a mSATA attached drive? Or are they just including a SATA -> mSATA connector in the box...
60a.jpg

Then go buy this.

Source

Back