GIGABYTE Responds to the Intel 6 Series Chipset Issue

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE sent us an updated press release (see below) regarding the Intel 6 series chipset issue. The company has also posted a helpful Q&A session on its blog as well.

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY has received an official announcement from Intel indicating the Intel 6-Series chipset design error and has implemented a silicon fix. Please see this link for more information: http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm

As the No.1 motherboard manufacturer, GIGABYTE will make its best effort to recall boards that were built on the mentioned chipsets from our distributors with minimum disruptions.

As of today, we have suspended the entire 6 Series B2 stepping chipset based motherboards shipments. According to Intel’s production schedule, the 6 Series B3 stepping Express Chipset will be available in volume by April. GIGABYTE will then, based on this shipping schedule, produce new motherboard models with the new B3 stepping.

• GIGABYTE has stopped shipping and selling all Intel 6 Series B2 stepping chipset based motherboards.
  • All GIGABYTE Intel 6 Series B2 stepping chipset based motherboards are being retrieved from our distributors and dealers.
  • Any sold GIGABYTE Intel 6 Series B2 stepping chipset based motherboards should be returned and accepted from authorized Gigabyte dealers.
  • The new B3 stepping chipset should be available toward the end of February. GIGABYTE will work with Intel closely to make the new motherboards become available to customers sometime in April.
  • GIGABYTE will introduce a brand-new 6 Series motherboard line based on the Intel 6 Series B3 stepping chipset.

Last edited:
I was minutes away from pulling the trigger on a new SB build. I've pushed that back to mid summer (or later depending on x68 chipset) and going with a cheap i5 1156 build in the interim. If I went i7 1156, it'd be the same price (have RAM and kick ass MF'in motherboard that I won from [H]) as cheap SB. Besides, my kids want that motherboard anyway... So, when I upgrade they get it. :)

I'm glad that they are handling this correctly instead of pointing fingers and dragging it out.

Yeah, this crap is delaying my new laptop. :(

Gigabyte is a taiwanese company. Most board manufacturers are.

It's poor, but it's not illegible.

Also, if you wonder why you can't do this until April, rather than end of Feb or March.

Just because Intel will have spun up production by the end of February, it takes time these board makers to do the same.

It's pobably that the likes of Dell, HP, etc will pull more weight and get priority volume.

Somebody set up us the motherboard.

This statement is all sorts of win.

Also, this "Engrish" is just one of the reasons I will likely never buy another Gigabyte product. Their manuals are written in a similar broken language. And being foreign isn't an excuse. If you are an international company, you need to do a better job localizing your products.

I'd take broken english with relatively poor block diagrams over perfect english with no block diagrams any day.

I'd take broken english with relatively poor block diagrams over perfect english with no block diagrams any day.
Hey, I'll even take any press release addressing the concerns and needs of their customers over the *crickets* from other manufacturers.

This apparently does not come from their Press Center or the Q&A, it might have been machine-translated from Chinese, I wouldn't make too much of its poor English. The article has no link to these quotes.

What's much more interesting is that the earliest date to return your motherboard is set to end of April.
While the new replacement boards are supposed to be ready by that time, it may still take more than a week without a board unless the resellers put in place a plan where you receive the new board before you send the old one.

This statement is all sorts of win.

Also, this "Engrish" is just one of the reasons I will likely never buy another Gigabyte product. Their manuals are written in a similar broken language. And being foreign isn't an excuse. If you are an international company, you need to do a better job localizing your products.

Everything is made overseas in these asian based countries, it's not just gigabyte, it's ALL of them.. betteh git yewzt tew eet budday amerrikan!! har har har kekeke!

such mastery of the English language will keep me eternally away from their products

Anyone heard anything about what they plan to do for returns/replacement. Have emial their tech support and no response.

stop acting all superior.

broken, but understandable, engrish is excusable if the products are good.

stop acting all superior.

broken, but understandable, engrish is excusable if the products are good.

I think we all agree it's excusable and they are certainly respectable, but it's still funny... Didn't you see "Christmas Story"? "Deck the halls with boughs of horry... Fa-ra-ra-ra-rahhh, ra-rah rah rah"

Speaking of awesome movies... Is that out on Bru-ray yet? :p

Holy @#%$*@#!!!!

That answer on their blog is utterly unacceptable!

Gigabyte has a warranty that extends to their end-users. They just told everyone to take the product back to the place of purchase and "wait for further instructions". That means all angry inquiries will not fall where it belongs.

I own such a store.

It is not solely MY PROBLEM. The product's warranty is being evaded by dumping the crap on me. And they didn't ask me first. I'm not taking physical posession of any of these boards back from customers until the manufacturers provide specifics.

And no, my distributors have not told me to send them back to them either. Which means no remedy there.

So they're jumping the gun to tell people to take them in to the retailer when no one has agreed to anything yet.

so are they saying hey hold onto your baords for another 2 months till we fix this problem.

probably goes for every other manufacturer out there.

sucks for everyone who leaps @ new tech :/

Holy @#%$*@#!!!!

That answer on their blog is utterly unacceptable!

Gigabyte has a warranty that extends to their end-users. They just told everyone to take the product back to the place of purchase and "wait for further instructions". That means all angry inquiries will not fall where it belongs.

I own such a store.

It is not solely MY PROBLEM. The product's warranty is being evaded by dumping the crap on me. And they didn't ask me first. I'm not taking physical posession of any of these boards back from customers until the manufacturers provide specifics.

And no, my distributors have not told me to send them back to them either. Which means no remedy there.

So they're jumping the gun to tell people to take them in to the retailer when no one has agreed to anything yet.
You don't think they're going to work something out with their retailers between now and April? :confused:

Their blog says nothing about returning your board to the retailer where you bought it now. It says to wait until April.

For the love of God somebody put this in the Chinglish to English translator.

The link in the post goes to a more than understandable response.

Where is ASUS official response on their news page? EVGA, ASRock, Biostar, MSI?

Gigabyte? Right here.

Good job, Gigabyte. First to give an official response. Add advance RMA and a free shipping label to this and you will be seen as having handled this the best.

so are they saying hey hold onto your baords for another 2 months till we fix this problem.
Another 3 months actually, they say return the boards end of April.

Their blog says nothing about returning your board to the retailer where you bought it now. It says to wait until April.
Actually the Q&A says specifically that you should return the board where you purchased it, which makes sense, as only the reseller can establish the proof of purchase. It's a bit weird though that they don't mention they are still working out the details.

The link in the post goes to a more than understandable response.

Where is ASUS official response on their news page? EVGA, ASRock, Biostar, MSI?

Gigabyte? Right here.

Good job, Gigabyte. First to give an official response. Add advance RMA and a free shipping label to this and you will be seen as having handled this the best.

I don't think EVGA has any boards on market even do they?

The more troubling is no response yet from MSI as far as I know. Asrock and Biostar you kind of expect, but generally MSI is considered up there with Asus and GB. And I was planning on the GD65 board too :p I might actually see if I can still score a board and CPU as waiting 2 months to purchase is kind a bad proposition for me as well.

Though this was announced at probably the worst time possible for the mobo makers as it is chinese new years. I guess the best analogy would be if this happened at christmas, and christmas and new years was one combined long holiday.

What difference does it make who makes an announcement first. Intel will make good to anyone who has the faulty chip. Period. End of story.

Back