GIGABYTE Readies FM2+ Series Motherboards For AMD's Godavari APUs

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards is proud to announce that its lineup of FM2+ motherboards is now compatible with the newly launched Godavari APU from AMD. Featuring 12 CPU and GPU compute cores (4+8), the latest AMD A-Series APU brings great support for exciting new technology such as AMD FreeSync™, DirectX™ 12 and also Windows 10 64-bit support. Paired with the connectivity featured on GIGABYTE FM2+ motherboards, the combo offers the best platform capable of delivering great processing performance, smooth high framerates in the most popular online game and a path to easy upgrades with many of the latest technologies available for today’s desktop PCs.

Gigabytes BIOS team lately has been pretty weak IMO. Hopefully these are not chalked full of weird issues.

If you read the Gigabyte site. It says only way to get PCI-E 3.0 support is with an APU. So for instance an X4 860K, or even a 880K. That can do PCI-E 3.0, cannot do PCI-E 3.0 in a Gigabyte FM2+ board?

I have a GTX 970 for my GF & she wants to run an AMD APU. I'm just curious(knowing there isn't much difference in PCI-E 2.0/3.0) if that is the case or not. Since Gigabytes support can't seem to tell me :facepalm:

If you read the Gigabyte site. It says only way to get PCI-E 3.0 support is with an APU. So for instance an X4 860K, or even a 880K. That can do PCI-E 3.0, cannot do PCI-E 3.0 in a Gigabyte FM2+ board?

I have a GTX 970 for my GF & she wants to run an AMD APU. I'm just curious(knowing there isn't much difference in PCI-E 2.0/3.0) if that is the case or not. Since Gigabytes support can't seem to tell me :facepalm:

The 970 is going to be bottlenecked to hell either way, but yes the Athlons do have PCI-E 3.0.

Cuz I have a X4 860K in my HTPC, if she ran that I'd get an APU for the HT box.

On newegg.com all the gigabyte boards say it

AMD A68H FCH (Bolton D2H), AMD A88X (Bolton D4), FM2+, GIGABYTE, AMD Motherboards, Motherboards, Components - Newegg.com

Sry, couldn't find thing to hide link.

Even says it on Gigabytes website

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM2+ - GA-F2A68HM-H (rev. 1.1)

That is board in my HTPC now. The GA-F2A68HM-H. Says supports PCIE 3.0 only if APU is installed. Why would that be?

1. * To support PCI Express 3.0, you must install an FM2+ APU.

Also why is it going to be bottle necked on an AMD?

Because those CPU's are slow as shit? I mean, don't get me wrong they're fun to play with and very good budget build options (I've owned MANY 860k's, various APU's and even the new 870k which is a soldered/leakage binned 860k). However, I couldn't get the full performance out of an old R9 280 (HD 7950) with a 4700mhz 870k, and a GTX 970 is vastly faster than that.

You do you, I'm just letting you know that any of those chips are going to hold the 970 back.

Oh no sweat, appreciate the info.
Yea I think we will just use my 860k or maybe get her that newer 880k (for no real reason but she wants it)
The raid controller on the F2A68HM-H has ZERO options, other than Read/Write, but it will do the job for her.

Oh no sweat, appreciate the info.
Yea I think we will just use my 860k or maybe get her that newer 880k (for no real reason but she wants it)
The raid controller on the F2A68HM-H has ZERO options, other than Read/Write, but it will do the job for her.

Yeah it will all work, although that board is really dreadful. If you haven't bought it yet I would HIGHLY suggest the ASRock A88M-G/3.1 which is a far superior mATX board for only $20 more. It has an actual 4+2 VRM with heatsink unlike the Gigabytes 3+1 which will struggle with a 95W chip even at stock speeds.

Wow a micro ATX w/4 RAM slots? Interesting

Will take a peak. Never owned an ASRock anything

Do any of the other ASRock boards have the 4+2 VRM that is a full ATX sized board? Just curious cause I sold the Gigabyte board & wanted to maybe order it today. Was looking on their site & they have a few A88X boards on Amazon & NewEgg.

Do any of the other ASRock boards have the 4+2 VRM that is a full ATX sized board? Just curious cause I sold the Gigabyte board & wanted to maybe order it today. Was looking on their site & they have a few A88X boards on Amazon & NewEgg.

Depends on your uses, and if you plan on pushing the chip hard. The very best boards are the Asus A88X-Pro (pretty much identical to the ROG Crossblade Ranger without the pretty colors) and the Gigabyte A88X-UP4 which is hard to find these days. The ASRock Extreme 6 is OK but not nearly as high quality, but none of these boards are very "budget" minded, all of them $120+.

If you're just looking for a good ATX board without worrying about heavy overclocking I would check out the Gigabyte F2A88X-D3H, ASRock A88X Pro3, or Asus A88X-Plus. There is also an MSI Gaming board with a 4+2 but it is nearly impossible to find for sale anywhere.

Hey thanks for all the 411, price isn't an issue because she's paying for it. (y)

I like the ASRock A88X Pro3+ and can get it same day from Amazon, but the placement of the PCIE 3.0 slot seems a little low. She likes to use a audigy PCI sound card. So it might be tight in her chassis. Newegg has that A88M-G/3.1 right now, & I like everything about that board. Plenty of fan headers, 4 RAM slots. Nice small form factor. Shoulda got her a SFF 970. Coulda made her a desktop. Anyways thanks again

Well, I won't be needing it now. I finally was able to get the raid working on her 970A-DS3P v2. So she wants the 8 core FX-8300 I had instead. Had to do some major hunting but I found a driver that works with SSDs on the SB950 south bridge. So now all is well in AMD land again.

Back