Gigabyte Questions(Kyle?)

panthal01

n00b
Sirs...

I'm currently running a Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 mobo,which is basically the gimp of the Z68 line,but it serves me well for my needs lol.

But here are my 2 questions,they apply to any Giga mobo,i couldn't find official answers anywhere on the internet tubes....I'm hoping Kyle or one of the mobo reviewers here have answers,but if any of you do please chime in!

1.In the memory section of gigabyte bios's there is an option called "Performance Enhance", you can then choose 3 options,Standard,Turbo.Extreme.What the hell do these actually effect? I looked at the manual timing and they are the same no matter the choice.And memory benchmarks reflect that.Apparently Gigabyte has never said officially.

2. Has Intel or Gigabyte ever answered as to why they keep putting the garbage Marvell controllers on their boards?I use the Intel ports of course but having a Marvell chip that actually performed at sata 6Gbs,assuming your Intel sata 6Gbs ports were full,would be nice.Feel free to also google people trying to use the Marvell chipset in raid.Gigabyte doesnt even list up to date,or for that matter,any marvell driver or raid driver,nor the raid utility...wth.Not that I'd ever use it currently in any of respects.

Thanks for taking a read guys:) I appreciate it.

Edit***Regarding question 1.....I am running memory with an XMP profile,and it is in use. Possibly if your running memory without an "XMP" profile,the Performance Enhance setting OC's the ram a little. I'll have to disable the XMP profile and check that out.

Edit***Disabling the XMP profile on the ram then benchmarking "standard,turbo,extreme" apparently didn't do anything either according to 3 different memory benches.

Last edited:
2. Has Intel or Gigabyte ever answered as to why they keep putting the garbage Marvell controllers on their boards?

So what controller would you want instead? If you aren't happy get one of those Supermicro boards with an LSI 2008 onboard (has a 6 in the name), or get an LSI 2008-based card. The cheapest ones are X8SI6-F (LGA 1156) and X8DTL-6F (dual LGA 1366). Of course, overclocking gets out the window with these. Alternatively C7P67 uses a Marvell controller, but they do provide working drivers for it.

I guess my main issue is the Marvell chip on the Intel boards doesnt actually support Sata 6gbs speed due to how they implement them on the boards. Basically people buying all these mobo's thinking their getting more sata6 capable ports than they really are. It's straight up lying.No other way to put it. Also trying to use the Marvell controller for raid is spotty at best.

Thanks for the info though,if i ever need more Sata6 ports than the 2 Intel ones i currently use I'll check out what you listed :)

1. No clue what is does, we leave it at default setting when testing and have not seen differences using it otherwise.

2. Cheap add on feature for the board that gives extra Sata ports. Yes, there are issues if you try to use both controllers in RAID at the same time, so don't.

UD3 is bottom of the line so I would expect feature limitations.

Back