Gigabyte or Asus 6850?

Flyinfinni

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
1,300
I'm probably going to pick up a new 6850 very soon- I'm trying to decide between the Gigabyte version and the Asus version. I keep going back and forth. Anyone got any insight here?
 
Gigabyte if you plan on going as high as you can on stock voltage. I'm not sure if the Gigabyte version is capable of adjusting voltage, if it isn't then I would say ASUS if you do plan on tinkering with voltage when you OC.

My conclusion is based on cooling from these reviews:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...rd-review-temps-noise-power-overclocking.html
http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/12873-amd-radeon-hd-6870-och-hd-6850/21#pagehead

Although ASUS has the highest evidenced OC of all the 6850s (see TPU review I believe), I wouldn't bet my money on it since OC has always been a YMMV thing.
 
I Chose the Gigabyte because of the cooler. I like my system to be quiet & since I am running at 19x12 the 6850 at stock speeds very well anyway.
 
What is a tad weird is how the Sapphire version keeps up with Gigabyte's dual fan cooler. Originally at launch, I had found Gigabyte versions $10 lower than the Sapphire version but I waited too long and it went OOS. :(

I trust cooling to be more consistent among specific model of cards than O/Cing is.

According to HWC (See http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...6850-vs-gtx-460-1gb-overclocking-study-2.html ), Sapphire Trixx is capable of adjusting voltage, so hopefully some ppl can test it with Gigabyte cards to determine if they're voltage adjustable.
 
Well, I ended up with the gigabyte. I'm sure that once MSI-afterburner is updated or Sapphire Trixx are available, I'll be able to voltage adjust it as well. Though I'm not sure I really want to as if I can get it to 850+ on stock volts, that should be plenty of performance for me right now at 1920x1080. I'm hoping to get enough cash to get 2 more 23" panels at some point, and when that happens, I'll be looking at a second 6850 :) Cool and quiet was my goal for this purchase, so Gigabyte was it. I imagine if I turn the fan speed down it'll get quiet without impacting temps too much.
 
gigabyte beats everything else on cool factor, since they are really all the same card, just get gigabyte. :D
 
Back
Top