GIGABYTE Launches Fully Certified Dual Port Thunderbolt Motherboards

HardOCP News

[H] News
GIGABYTE, a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, today announced the latest GIGABYTE 7 series motherboards, the very first to offer fully certified dual onboard Thunderbolt™ ports. Capable of connecting up to 12 devices plus 3 digital displays simultaneously, with breathtaking data transfer speeds that can transfer 1TB of data in only five minutes, GIGABYTE Thunderbolt™ motherboards offer the fastest connection interface ever on the desktop PC.

GIGABYTE Thunderbolt™ motherboards allow users to daisy chain up to 12 devices simultaneously via an incredible bi-directional 10Gbps data pipeline that includes both PCIe and DisplayPort traffic. GIGABYTE Thunderbolt™ motherboards redefine desktop PC connectivity to make it far easier to connect multiple high speed storage devices and HD displays to your PC than ever before.

need to know pricing and availability, otherwise it's MVF for me, which is available on Monday. :p

alright...someone explain to me some cool, real-life uses for this. Seriously...I haven't followed Thunderbolt at all and want to know why it is cool.

alright...someone explain to me some cool, real-life uses for this. Seriously...I haven't followed Thunderbolt at all and want to know why it is cool.

- High speed (think external storage arrays)
- Daisy chaining (connect a TB display and daisy chain storage off of it)

That's about it. Much more useful for docking a laptop (plug in one cable to your monitor and get monitor + wired network + external storage array + KB/mouse), the only real desktop application would be external storage.

anyone actually day-to-day use a 'thunderbolt' device? Bueller.....Bueller?

I will once drive bays with Thunderbolt drop in price. I'd love to set up an 8-10 TB raid array connected via thunderbolt. Of course, hard drive prices are going to have to get back down to pre-flood levels too, so I imagine that it'll be a while....

From the little sad pics, it looks like the PCI-e spacing / placement actually makes sense. :eek:

Thunderbolt is expensive and it seems like the premium price is $50 dollars per port.

I was watching the newegg video talk about some of the ASUS products and mentioned that some of the ASUS motherboards were going to have a Thunderbolt header in case some wanted to upgrade.

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE has the header. Needs the card.
ASUS P8Z77-V Premium has the actual port on-board. Very high price though!

The Asus Maximus V Formula also has the TB Header.

Last edited:
Back