• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gigabyte H97N system fan header

Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
613
I have a Lian Li case that has a couple 12v fans. I just have them connected to molex but was wondering about the single system fan header on the gigabyte h97n. The manual says its 5v and I thought it was kind of weird. The 4-pin layout is also different from the CPU fan header. There's an SPCR thread about it from six years ago and apparently Gigabyte has been doing it since then. The thread was inconclusive about how it works, and I don't know if anything has changed since then. I'm a bit afraid to stick a fan into it. Im stuck with what I have now, but anyone have any clues on how it works? If only I could afford those expensive Asus boards with a million fan headers...
 
The pinout on page 24 of the Z97N / H97N manual shows that the CPU header is for PWM type fans (pin 2 is 12V, pin 4 pulses 0-5V for the speed), while the SYS header is for DC / voltage-controlled fans (pin 2 is 0-12V and pin 4 is static at 5V).

Those manuals should be more explicit. I don't think PC builders should all be expected to translate a pinout diagram into whether a fan header will control PWM or not. It would also be helpful if they put a max. current rating so you can judge how many fans you can splitter on to one header.

Presuming your Lian Li case fans are not PWM, and don't have LEDs, and aren't like 4000rpm, then you will be fine to connect both fans to the SYS header.
 
Back
Top