Gigabyte Gtx 680 out in the wild.

Yup saw that this morning, cards will probably go on sale Thursday??? [H]ard Launch??

Yep this is smelling more and more like a real launch. The guy also said it will be priced similar to the HD 7970. Not unexpected but still a little deflating.

He also said he only got ONE in stock at his store....so....this may be a bit of a cabbage patch kids type of launch. "GIMME DAT KEPLARZ! WHACKWHACK WHACK!" :D

i haven't read that entire thread yet but it looks like 706MHz is the stock core clock. i wonder what the 'turbo boost' frequency is then? there's also rumors floating around of 1300MHz overclock which would be extreme coming from 706MHz. similar to 7970's that people are cranking to 1800MHz i guess, very extreme fringe examples.

i haven't read that entire thread yet but it looks like 706MHz is the stock core clock. i wonder what the 'turbo boost' frequency is then? there's also rumors floating around of 1300MHz overclock which would be extreme coming from 706MHz. similar to 7970's that people are cranking to 1800MHz i guess, very extreme fringe examples.

This. So can we throw out all those 1Ghz GTX 680 benchmarks now?

Anyone who thought NV would price it well below the 7970 with roughly the same performance deserves to be disappointed.

Also keep in mind the GPU-Z may be incorrectly reporting the 680's stock clocks. Weren't they shown at 1006mhz core last week?

This. So can we throw out all those 1Ghz GTX 680 benchmarks now?

Yeah. If GTX 680 runs at 700mhz all the time, it's the same performance as GTX 580. If GTX 680 doesn't turbo to 1ghz, it's going to get creamed hard, by like 20%, and cost the same price as 7970 and it'll have less VRAM.

Given those leaks that came from that Chinese site, GTX 680 had like a 20% performance increase, and about a 20% increase in clocks. Clock for clock, Kepler isn't an increase in performance at all. Tahiti ended up the same way. The only thing that's really doing anything this round is TSMC's process which is allowing for high clocks, and for some reason NV and AMD are running them way below potential.

If GTX 680 stock speed is 700 mhz and there's not much boost, and we know it can hit 1000mhz, and 7970 stock is 925mhz and it can hit about 1150mhz, something really weird is going on. Never in my life since my first MX440 have I seen a generation of GPUs overclock so much. Something is definitely odd with TSMC 28nm, specially considering it just completely stopped producing chips.

Yeah. If GTX 680 runs at 700mhz all the time, it's the same performance as GTX 580. If GTX 680 doesn't turbo to 1ghz, it's going to get creamed hard, by like 20%, and cost the same price as 7970 and it'll have less VRAM.

we haven't exactly seen concrete benchmarks. for all we know the 680 could be faster than the 7970 even at 706MHz. need to wait and see what legitimate benchmarks show.

Anyone who thought NV would price it well below the 7970 with roughly the same performance deserves to be disappointed.

Considering AMD pulled that move with the 5000 and 6000 series, yeah we did. Guess I am staying red.

Considering AMD pulled that move with the 5000 and 6000 series, yeah we did. Guess I am staying red.

The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. We expect the price under-cutting from AMD (i.e. 4000, 5000, 6000 series) but not from NV. For this round, AMD changed their tune and is using a page out of NV's book. The last time NV pulled this move was with G80 (8800 series) 5+ years ago, ironically the last NV card I owned.

Since this is the midrange gpu from Nvidia, we know the high end GK110 part is already in the works. If I buy two of these 680s now for $550 I can expect a massively more powerful card less than 6 months from now and probably cost around the same price, maybe a bit more. That will leave me with 2 gtx680 that aren't worth anything in the resale market because msrp will most likely drop (or due to rebates be priced way under what I paid).

I was hell bent on getting a new pair of video cards this round to replace my 460s, but I honestly don't think I'm willing to pay more than $400 for this card, especially when I know it's a scalping from Nvidia. I think I'm just going to wait until this summer and see what's in the works for the refresh and watch the prices drop like a rock.

Well, it looks awesome, but it's either got to blow away the 7970 in price or performance... I can't wait for a real review to come out though, since there still seems to be a ton of confusion about even what the stock clocks are!

It appears that the 700Mhz thing is an error with GPU-z. There is a new version out now (0.60) that is supposed to correctly report the Kepler clock speeds. Later posts in that thread talk about it.

It appears that the 700Mhz thing is an error with GPU-z. There is a new version out now (0.60) that is supposed to correctly report the Kepler clock speeds. Later posts in that thread talk about it.

yeah i was just reading those posts at lunch. looks like 1006MHz/1059MHz boost is the correct stock gpu frequency. i wonder if these things will be clocking monsters? anxious to read reviews just out of morbid curiosity.

hmm... I may just buy a fucking gtx 560to 448 or something...

Yeah the 5XX series is getting cheap now. I think I may just go that route until the next gen comes out..... :(

intel hd 3000

yeah.

haha, just caught that! guess the bottom was cut off to hide photoshop running :p

f1kv7l.jpg

Since this is the midrange gpu from Nvidia, we know the high end GK110 part is already in the works. If I buy two of these 680s now for $550 I can expect a massively more powerful card less than 6 months from now and probably cost around the same price, maybe a bit more. That will leave me with 2 gtx680 that aren't worth anything in the resale market because msrp will most likely drop (or due to rebates be priced way under what I paid).

I was hell bent on getting a new pair of video cards this round to replace my 460s, but I honestly don't think I'm willing to pay more than $400 for this card, especially when I know it's a scalping from Nvidia. I think I'm just going to wait until this summer and see what's in the works for the refresh and watch the prices drop like a rock.

same, i was wanting to get a 680 to replace my 460s as well, but because of the price it just doesn't seem worth it.

Don't want to judge the 680 harshly, especially since no one has done any testing, but if these figures hold true then I'll probably look for a used 580 for SLI.. or get a 7970.

intel hd 3000

yeah.

This is no unheard of in conjunction with Lucids Virtu software. In fact, depending on the driver/benchmark version and the according (im)proper detection capabilities, it is quite normal.

The scepticism is strong in this one...

Last edited:

We don't know if it will be "massively more powerful". Nvidia might just add more memory, or pull 8800 Ultra - oc 680 a bit, and sell it as 680 Ultra for 50% more price tag :)

Also even if you wait for 680 Ultra, then in other 6 months you will get 780 and the cycle will continue. There is always another card coming in 6 months which will be more powerful then current offerings, so you might wait forever.

There is always another card coming in 6 months which will be more powerful then current offerings, so you might wait forever.

Put it at a year now. 6970 was released on 15dec2010 and 7970 hit 9jan2012. Nvidia was roughly the same gap between launches assuming the 680 comes out on friday. 6month product cycles are gone it seems.

Put it at a year now. 6970 was released on 15dec2010 and 7970 hit 9jan2012. Nvidia was roughly the same gap between launches assuming the 680 comes out on friday. 6month product cycles are gone it seems.

But... we get 7970 in Jan, 680 in APril (propably hard launch)... then possibly 680 Ultra in Fall and 8970 in Jan 2013. That means, taht you can upgrade to the current top card every few months. If you willing to change the stables, that is

Back