Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Vs. MSI P35 Neo2-FR

tmbroe01

n00b
I'm looking into building my first computer and I need some advice on a motherboard. I was originally looking at the GA-P35-DS3L, because I saw good reviews for it and I heard it was easy to overclock with, all for under $100. I didn't like the fact though, that the North Bridge apparently runs pretty hot on it, so I settled instead on the MSI board, which I also saw good reviews for, easy to overclock and it runs cool with its big heatpipes. However, I would like to save the $30 with Gigabyte's board. I guess I want to know other's opinions between the two and if maybe I'm worrying too much about the Gigabyte's heat issues.

If you can find the Abit IP35-E for a much lower price than the DS3L, then go with that.
2 months ago I was undecided between the MSI P35 Neo2-FR (better connectivity and cooling) and the GA-P35-DS3L, but look at my sig. :)

Offtopic: @ BUFF - I swear if my DS3L dies unexpectedly in the near future, I will buy a IP35-E... LOL

Hmm, I'm liking that Abit IP35-E. How is the onboard audio on that board compared GA-P35-DS3L and the MSI PA35 Neo2-FR? I'm going to try and get away without using a sound card.

I'm not sure about the MSI but the IP35-E & the DS3L use the exact same Realtek HD codec.
In fact they are very similar spec. overall (I have a pet theory that the DS3L was brought out as a direct response to the IP35-E).

Seb1, as I said they are extremely similar (& Gigabyte currently are my 2nd fav mobo mfr) but when 1 is 2/3 the price of the other ...

I'm actually between this myself for a build. I've build on the DS3L before and have heard that OCing on the MSI is much better. Would like to hear more input.

I'm using a Gigabyte P35-DS3L in my rig. It cost me $82 CDN and was well worth it. My E6750 easily OC'd to 3.4ghz.

I'm also using the P35-DS3L. The bios update to support my e8400 was quick and easy. I also have it overclocked to a constant 4.0Ghz no problem... its been a great board all around so far.

P35-DS3L, I got my E4500 to 3 ghz without changing anything but the fsb

It can go higher but I don't want to overvolt nor add more cooling.

MSI Neo2-FR running my E6550 @ 3.5G using 500fsb right out of the box.

I am very happy with the MSI NEO2 FR. Not a hardcore user but have my E2160 at 3.0Ghz with 1.275Vcore and a Coolink U8 cooler. Can easily go higher but no need to for me. Everything runs nice and cool and got it for $79 after MIR. :)

I am very happy with the MSI NEO2 FR. Not a hardcore user but have my E2160 at 3.0Ghz with 1.275Vcore and a Coolink U8 cooler. Can easily go higher but no need to for me. Everything runs nice and cool and got it for $79 after MIR. :)

Zenshi: Could you tell me when and where you got that deal on the MSI? Personally, I'm leaning towards the MSI, but I can't find it anywhere for less than $115, so the lower priced offerings from Gigabyte and Abit look more attractive.

Zenshi: Could you tell me when and where you got that deal on the MSI?

It was back in January (sorry). I saw it in ClubIT and I had been hounding the motherboard for awhile. I didn't want to buy it until the New Year and just at the end of December, saw it go on sale with rebate for like $69. I waited until January only to see it go out of stock and had a fit. Then later in January it came back in stock and two of the three rebates still existed so that it still sold for $79 so I quickly got it. Seems I got one of the first V1.2 batches so I was happy. I have not seen it go down that far since that time but then I have not been watching it like before. It took like three months to get the rebates but they did come in.

It was back in January (sorry). I saw it in ClubIT and I had been hounding the motherboard for awhile. I didn't want to buy it until the New Year and just at the end of December, saw it go on sale with rebate for like $69. I waited until January only to see it go out of stock and had a fit. Then later in January it came back in stock and two of the three rebates still existed so that it still sold for $79 so I quickly got it. Seems I got one of the first V1.2 batches so I was happy. I have not seen it go down that far since that time but then I have not been watching it like before. It took like three months to get the rebates but they did come in.

Cool, thanks for the info. I won't be pulling the gun on my purchases for about two weeks so I'll just hope I get lucky between now and then.

Back