Been digging through this - seen lots of folks with this problem, but no real "solution" yet that seems to make sense or make anything possible. I just picked up a new 990FXA + M550 + 2x WD Black to build a new workstation out of. I want to boot from the single M550, and then use the two spinning disks for actual mass data-storage (in RAID1).
The motherboard has 6 SATA ports - 1-4 are grouped, 5-6 are separate, but all controlled by the SB950 controller.
I can set 1-4 as IDE, AHCI, or RAID.
5-6 can be set to IDE, or "same as 1-4"
I've got the two WD Blacks hooked up to ports 1-2, a DVD to port 5, and the M550 to 6.
If I then set 1-4 as RAID, and 5-6 as "same", I can then create a RAID1 on the two spinning disks, leave the DVD/M550 as default (which should be AHCI), and then I boot from installation media, I'm able to select the RAID to install to, but the M550 doesn't appear as an option. Same if I install the "native" drivers from the MB dvd (still can't see the single drive).
If I set everything to AHCI, all 3 disks are visible, but installing in this configuration results in a BSOD when I set it back to RAID afterwards, even with the right drivers installed post-fact.
Anyone else worked with the SB950 controllers and know how to get single drives on the RAID controller working properly? I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing, but I'm not entirely sure ~what~, and almost all the posts are 2+ years old on this type of configuration (although they all mention "problems" getting it to work).
I'd rather not have to buy a separate SATA controller just to do this, or use software raid - am I insane?
The motherboard has 6 SATA ports - 1-4 are grouped, 5-6 are separate, but all controlled by the SB950 controller.
I can set 1-4 as IDE, AHCI, or RAID.
5-6 can be set to IDE, or "same as 1-4"
I've got the two WD Blacks hooked up to ports 1-2, a DVD to port 5, and the M550 to 6.
If I then set 1-4 as RAID, and 5-6 as "same", I can then create a RAID1 on the two spinning disks, leave the DVD/M550 as default (which should be AHCI), and then I boot from installation media, I'm able to select the RAID to install to, but the M550 doesn't appear as an option. Same if I install the "native" drivers from the MB dvd (still can't see the single drive).
If I set everything to AHCI, all 3 disks are visible, but installing in this configuration results in a BSOD when I set it back to RAID afterwards, even with the right drivers installed post-fact.
Anyone else worked with the SB950 controllers and know how to get single drives on the RAID controller working properly? I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing, but I'm not entirely sure ~what~, and almost all the posts are 2+ years old on this type of configuration (although they all mention "problems" getting it to work).
I'd rather not have to buy a separate SATA controller just to do this, or use software raid - am I insane?