GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 and AMD X6 CPU

roninblade

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello I have a question that I hope somebody will be able to answer. I just bought the new AMD 1055T X6 CPU and I bought the GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 Motherboard to go along with it. My question is does this motherboard need a BIOS update to work with the new cpu? If it does need an update will this machine even bootup with the new CPU? The problem Im in is that I do not have another CPU that I could just drop in until I get the BIOS update.

Update: Here http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_List.aspx?ProductID=3263 It says its supported but on the left does that mean it only works with F3G BIOS?

Thanks

Last edited:
Well I called gigabyte and their tech support told me that it would still boot even without the update. I guess well find out how well their tech support is this weekend when I get the motherboard

Yes, since it is a beta bios version, I am willing to bet that you will need to update your motherboard. Bios version F3G is a beta version and according to Gigabyte's cpu support list, it only supports the 1035T and 1055T at this time. Let us know how things work out as I am seriously considering going with a Thuban for my GA-790XTA-UD4 as well in my gaming rig. I'm just waiting since it would only benefit folding as games really don't need that many cores yet. I also want you early adopters to work the bugs out before I jump in.

yeah it will support the processor but will show up as an unknown processor.. as long as the board supports the x4 phenom II's it should have no problem running the x6's even though it doesnt know what processor it is.. the only problem you might run into is that it will set the multiplier to the slowest setting.. so in this case either 4x or 5x then you can just go into amd overdrive and set it correctly.. so once you get it running with the x6 if you dont have an older processor just update the bios and reboot..

yeah it will support the processor but will show up as an unknown processor.. as long as the board supports the x4 phenom II's it should have no problem running the x6's even though it doesnt know what processor it is.. the only problem you might run into is that it will set the multiplier to the slowest setting.. so in this case either 4x or 5x then you can just go into amd overdrive and set it correctly.. so once you get it running with the x6 if you dont have an older processor just update the bios and reboot..

Thats good to know. This is my first build in 4+ years so last time that I updated a BIOS I had to do it with a floppy disk. What is it like now?

Thats good to know. This is my first build in 4+ years so last time that I updated a BIOS I had to do it with a floppy disk. What is it like now?

Most of the higher end boards allow you to update the BIOS from Windows. Some people don't trust that option and use either a floppy or USB drive. I've updated through Windows at least a dozen times and haven't had any problems.

Most of the higher end boards allow you to update the BIOS from Windows. Some people don't trust that option and use either a floppy or USB drive. I've updated through Windows at least a dozen times and haven't had any problems.

Ok Well I got everything done yesterday. I put the eseentials together first and booted it up. Worked fine, then I put everything else together and tried to boot up with no picture. Kept trying everything and it would not work. I finally reset the CMOS. Booted up fine, unkown processor. Downloaded the BIOS update from the website, put it on the USB drive, updated. Works like a champ. Im so relieved that I didn't have to buy a second CPU just to update the BIOS.

i am currently running the 1090T on the Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 board and am getting some really weird results. With stock CPU clock settings in bios, I am seeing 1.475V under load with the CPU clocking itself at 3.6ghz. I have disabled Cool and Quiet and Turbo but the cores are still boosting... Emailed Gigglebit this afternoon about when we will see and actual (non-beta) bios with support for hexacore...

i am currently running the 1090T on the Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 board and am getting some really weird results. With stock CPU clock settings in bios, I am seeing 1.475V under load with the CPU clocking itself at 3.6ghz. I have disabled Cool and Quiet and Turbo but the cores are still boosting... Emailed Gigglebit this afternoon about when we will see and actual (non-beta) bios with support for hexacore...

Download AMD Overdrive to disable Turbo Core. Most AM2+ motherboards don't have a BIOS control for it, so it's the only way for now that shows consistent results. Hopefully we'll get fully working BIOS in the next week or so.

Download AMD Overdrive to disable Turbo Core. Most AM2+ motherboards don't have a BIOS control for it, so it's the only way for now that shows consistent results. Hopefully we'll get fully working BIOS in the next week or so.

the 790XTA-UD4 is an AM3 board...

Thats strange, my 1055T seems to be staying at the stock speeds. Ill let you know if I start encountering the same problems that you do.

Hi, I'm new here.

I have this same setup..
-gigabyte 790xta ud4 (am3)
-phenom ii x6 1055t

I have built a new rig from new parts!
I am having a problem though accessing BIOS from first boot..

I can sometimes view 'post screen' and it shows processor, RAM,
not HDD though
I understand I need to get in BIOS mnenu to switch IDE to ACHI..?

anyone who can help I will appreciate?

thanks

(I may post a new thread for this!)

Back