Gigabyte EX58 UD3R Boots up, Black Screen (Video)

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
What does it mean if I turn on the computer but nothing shows up on the screen even though it turns on fine and I reset the CMOS? Dropped in a new 970 today and it was fine when I left it at stock. Decided to OC, put QPI to 1.35, RAM to 1.65 and CPU to 1.35. LLC on as well. Took out all the RAM and put 1 stick back in and took out the video cards, put the 780 in the second slot. Nothing happens after I turn it on and it looks normal but the motherboard is showing red and orange lights while it normally doesn't. Turned off the PSU, then back on, the system turns on the same time I turn the switch on the psu. Wondering if I have yo put the 950 back in. *sighs*
EDIT #1: Uploaded a video, it's in the album and you can tell me what is wrong with it.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c11ipohqy5edhcl/76GbBldSEU/VIDEO0018.mp4
EDIT #2: Put in my 950, exact same behavior. makes me think that it's the motherboard. *sigh* time to go mobo shopping. I can only hope that my 970 didn't just become a $300 paperweight.
EDIT #3: Could somebody please watch the short video in the album in my original post? I'm deaf and would like to know if there are any beeps which would help me loads.

ttt. Some one already told me that there weren't any beeps. So does that mean the board is fine or shot? I'm confused.

I'll need some second opinions before I go ahead, and buy a board off the FS section.

Used my GT 640 instead of the 780 to rule out the graphics, same thing, Put in a different stick of memory that I borrowed from a friend, same thing.

The fact that the behavior remains the same with two different CPUs, memory, and video cards strongly suggest that the motherboard is bad, but what gets to me is that it turns on fine while it shouldn't.

I have a brand new Coolermaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W 80 GOLD so that can't be. Took the whole system apart to see if there was anything shorting, and there was no sign of anything like that.

Have you looked at the socket closely, could be a pin out of place, this happened after a cpu swap ?
Try another long CMOS clear with battery out and psu unplugged
Then use the GT 640

I agree with Player.

A longtime with battery out should be 2+ hours to be sure, its amazing how often this tip works for a confused or stuck BIOS. Also remove power to PSU.

You mentioned you replaced the CPU, take everything out (disconnect) except 1 stick of memory and the GPU.

Build up from there, once you post.

Good luck

I've already inspected the pins. Looks perfect.

Had the CMOS battery out overnight so that's not the issue.

Besides I've already just paid for a brand new ASRock X58 Extreme.

I already took out all of the sticks and put in one stick of Corsair XMS3 which I know works fine; same thing. It still turns on like a zombie which worries me that my CPUs are 300 dollar paperweights but we will know once the new board gets here.

Last edited:
I remember my X58A UD3R being picky about which slots you put the memory in. If you have the version with six DDR3 slots you want to use the white slots first.

for single channel use DDR3_1 -or- DDR3_3
for dual use DDR3_1 and DDR3_3

If you have the version with four DDR3 slots it recommends using DDR3_1 slot for single module.

for dual use DDR3_1 and DDR3_4 -or- DDR3_1 and DDR3_2
triple use DDR3_1, DDR3_2, and DDR3_4

I know this may sound a little weird but I had a mb that quit working, and I had wondered if the same trick that worked on GPU's (baking) would work on mb's.
I took off all the heat sinks and prepared the board, (actually about 3 dead boards) after the oven run and cool down I reassembled the boards and tested, 2 out of 3 were working again

The lead free solder doesn't like to be stressed and doesn't take a lot to develop cracks and fractures after so many thermal cycles.
http://www4.uic.com/wcms/Images.nsf/%28GraphicLib%29/IPCNewOrleans.pdf/$file/IPCNewOrleans.pdf

Back