Gigabyte EP45 DQ6 no post and beeping

garhof

Weaksauce
I finally got my system up and going the way I wanted it, new build for christmas

Gigabyte EP45 DQ6
Q9400 processor
4gb ocz reaper pc 8500
4gb ocz reaper pc 6400
PC Power and Cooling 750w Scilencer
1.5 tb seagate hdd
Saphire 4870 512mb vid card

I had to flash the MB to the newest verison for it to see the video cards. Once I got everything installed I tried the 2nd set of ram on vista 64. I had to lower the settings to the lower set of ram and up the voltage to the reccommended 2.1 v before vista would boot. Ran great all that day. I left to go out that night and when I came back, everything was dead. System would not even post. If I try hte faster ram I get a somewhere around 25 short beeps and then a long one an the system restarts. I've tried it with a different video card with no luck. system doesnt even beep if i try and run the slower ram.
I've also reset the bios multiple times.

My guess is that i've got a dead MB, but i've not had a chance to test the ram out in anohter pc.

Any other ideas for me to try?

Thanks!

Could be a dead board, or it could be dead RAM, or even a dead PSU. Grab the manual that came with your motherboard and see if it says anything about the POST code you were getting. If not, try each of your memory sticks individually and see if the board will boot with any of them.

Sorry, forgot to say that i've checked the post codes, nothing like what i've got, or at least not that many beeps.

I've tried each stick by itself too. thats why im not sure about the ram or MB. I didnt figure i could fry all four sticks at the same time. I'm waiting till I can get to another PC to pull out a stick of DDR2 to test, or test mine in the other computer.

Yeah, I would hold off on making an assessment until you can really rule one of those components out. It is theoretically possible that all four RAM sticks were killed since you were pumping 2.1V through them, which is why I made my suggestion in the first place. Technically, 2.1V is safe, but it is still quite a high voltage for DDR2, and it can result in damage to the sticks if the motherboard overvolts them.

A lot of people with GA-EP45's have been having trouble with the OCZ Reapers. But since you're not able to post, it is probably a power supply issue. If you can test both and find that they are functioning correctly, then it could just be a bad board.

oh, you guys have so not made my night. I think that the power supply is the last thing that I could be able to check. I'll check out the post codes again, but shit, this could suck if its a PSU issue. I just sent a 3 year old PSU back to OCZ that they are checking out. Thanks for that advise so far.

I've not built a system since a 2500 barton core, so im new at the voltages and power requrements. any suggestions welcome. If the ram is set for 2.1 shouldnt it be gold up till a few points over? i've never really delt with ddr2 other than in laptops and other dell like builds so i've never dealt with voltages. what is a constant good voltage for the long haul? MB stock would be good i'd guess but what are you guys running at?

So far this would give me both a bad video card and a bad PSU on this build. I was hoping more from a PSU. never had a bad one before now. figured a new one from PCP&C would be good forever.

Garett

If the ram is set for 2.1 shouldnt it be gold up till a few points over? i've never really delt with ddr2 other than in laptops and other dell like builds so i've never dealt with voltages.

The official DDR2 spec mandates a voltage of 1.8V IIRC. 2.1V is pretty much the upper limit, and although it isn't likely to kill memory, it is possible. Notable cases include the Crucial Ballistix fiasco which is still going on to some extent, and is supposedly related to running high voltages, but not higher than the sticks are rated for.

Anyway, there's no way to know if it's the RAM or not without testing some other components, so like I said before, I wouldn't start singling out components until you can really test them.

tested the PSU on an old p4 mb and it powered up fine. I dont have another psu that i can test on the gigabyte motherboard due it it needing the 8pin power connector. pulled a 512mb stick of ram to test out of a dell and the motherboard did the same thing, no post. I havent been able to try my ram in another system yet, so im down to the MB being bad and/or all four sticks of ram.

Thanks for the advice on the top voltages, i'll have to make sure i keep them down next time.

I dont have another psu that i can test on the gigabyte motherboard due it it needing the 8pin power connector.

It doesn't need the 8-pin connector; the board will work fine with only a 4-pin connector.

still get beeps with teh other psu with just the 4pin plugged into the 8 pin connector. no post.

Thermaltake tr2 430np

i plugged the 4 pin lead into the top 4 of the 8 pin connector. i also threw in a ati 2400 pro instead of the 4870. Figured it would be easier to power up than the big guy.

thanks for the help so far.

Can you get into the BIOS with only one stick of ram? Try all slots, you should then try clearing your CMOS after that if you have no luck and then try again.

See here for my method of clearing the CMOS, of course there are many views on how to get that done. This is just my method for those who have issues with trying other ways, and should for sure get it cleared. >>>
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide-27576/

I find during testing Many multiple continues beeps to often mean incorrect Ram settings, tRD to tight or other timings/voltages off dealing with the ram. And since you are trying two types I think this may be the cause. Do you know what you had the Perf. Enhance set to and the tRD?

i've tried all the ram individually in probably all the slots, or at lest 3 of the slots. I've rest the CMOS, and still nothing but fast beeps. Going to RMA back today.

Back