Gigabyte DS3 slower when OCed !!

NerdAlert

Weaksauce
I have owned the rig in my sig for about nine months now, and when I tried updating to the latest BIOS (F12), I found that my system actually runs measurably slower in games when overclocked. I hadn't thought to much of it for a while, as I just flashed back to F7 BIOS and everything has been great since.

Last week I built a E4300 / DS3 rig for my son, and his system is having the same problem. His is a Rev 3.3 (mine is 1.0) and came with F10 BIOS, which we flashed to F12 but still the same problem.

To describe the problem better, the default flight in FSX at stock BIOS settings gets 30-40 FPS, but when we crank his settings up to 3GHz (375 x 8, mem at 2:1, stock volts, 100MHz PCI-E), which has previously passed the 4 hr Orthos test, he sometimes gets only 5-8 FPS :eek: Sometimes a warm reboot will bring in back to the expected 50-60 FPS, other times a cold boot, and sometimes like this afternoon, it won't play ball at all and has low FPS at any OC setting.

Has anyone else seen this issue before with the DS3? If so, what did you do to fix it? Should I flash his board back to F7 like mine, or will the E4300 not be detected correctly?

check what your PCI-E is being configured as - there is a known problem on the Gigabytes & the Asus P5Bs where it can drop down to x1.
The usual cures if it is that iirc are to take the PCI-E clock off 100 & set it to something like 105 & also to increase the nb voltage.

check what your PCI-E is being configured as - there is a known problem on the Gigabytes & the Asus P5Bs where it can drop down to x1.
The usual cures if it is that iirc are to take the PCI-E clock off 100 & set it to something like 105 & also to increase the nb voltage.

Thanks for the help. How do I find out that the PCI-E speed is being set correctly?

Back