Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 crashes at boot randomly, getting error code 40

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I'm going crazy, every so often my computer will just crash when booting up from being off, it will show the Arouses logo and when it goes to load in to windows the screen just goes blank and I get a code of 40 on the MOBD and the mem and CPU LED just keep flashing:

The problem here is there is no error code 40 listed in the manual, this is very concerning and it is happening more frequently.

on the good side of things my system is rock solid when up it's just having this issue when i turn it on first thing and it has happen almost every time i have turn it on as of late.

any help on this would be very appreciated

EDIT: would like to add I'm using UEFI Rev F6 (The most recent UEFI) and the newest chip set driver from AMD, i initially was waiting to see if new UEFI and chip set drivers would help with problem but it seems to be only getting worse

Last edited:

Hmm it looks like it might be something to do with windows 10 not actually shutting down but instead going in to a hybrid sleep mode and it is failing to resume form that mode with out crashing, this would make a lot of sense, i will look in to this further and see if it helps

also i did some searching of my own on error code 40 and it looks like it can also be a issue with quick boot, i checked my setting in the UEFI and quick boot was disabled by default, i enabled it just to see if it would help but my system still froze on a start up after being off for a bit

Try a reflash...? That helped me once or twice on my K7 :)

if all else fails i will try a re-flash of the F6 BIOS, i have read that re-flashing troublesome gigabyte boards has worked wonders in the past might help me too

Quick Edit: I have turned off fast startup in windows (this is the hybrid boot) and will do the same in the UEFI hopefully this is the answer

Last edited:
Back