GIGABYTE AORUS Z270 Overclocking Guide

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I have seen a lot of overclocking guides in my time, but I really like this one that GIGABYTE has put together for its new AORUS Z270 motherboards. If you are unfamiliar with navigating the AORUS UEFI, it clearly shows you settings you need and where those are located in the UEFI. While overclocking these new Kaby Lake processors is not incredibly intricate, there are a few things to know along the way particular to the AORUS motherboards. I would highly suggest using manual vCore voltages instead of adaptive while setting CPU Load Line Calibration to "Turbo." That helped us assuredly in GIGABYTE Z270X Gaming 7 LGA 1151 Motherboard Review. Also worth mentioning is that GIGABYTE even discusses processor de-lidding in its guide.

Last edited:
They de-lid only to change the thermal interface? It looks like they just put the heat spreader back on with the new paste and call it delidded. Also, a THIRTY degree Celsius improvement from this process? I'll believe it when I see it.

That's stock idle temps. They only showed a decrease of 12.5°C or less.

That's stock idle temps. They only showed a decrease of 12.5°C or less.
And they went back with a "normal" thermal paste. Most of what you likely have been seeing around here is folks using Liquid Metal TIMs which seem to work a lot better in that application.

They de-lid only to change the thermal interface? It looks like they just put the heat spreader back on with the new paste and call it delidded. Also, a THIRTY degree Celsius improvement from this process? I'll believe it when I see it.
We will be doing an article on this in the next week or two.

What is this delidding tool they're talking about? I've only seen someone use a razor blade to do it.
Are the liquid metal TIMs safe to put on the cpu directly? A lot of them are conductive so that would be my apprehension in using them specifically on the cpu itself.

I've also heard that some of them dry out and flake a bit after a long time which could affect their usefulness a year or two down the line (the liquid metal ones).

I recently delided my 6600k and replaced the compound on the die and on top of the heat spreader with Liquid Ultra. Idle temps only dropped 8c, load temps at 4.8ghz 1.4v dropped from scary 80c to a wonderful 55c. Mind Blowen!!!

Last edited:
What is this delidding tool they're talking about? I've only seen someone use a razor blade to do it.
Are the liquid metal TIMs safe to put on the cpu directly? A lot of them are conductive so that would be my apprehension in using them specifically on the cpu itself.

I've also heard that some of them dry out and flake a bit after a long time which could affect their usefulness a year or two down the line (the liquid metal ones).
You could always use a ceramic based one as well. Though people have been putting artic silver on exposed dies for years. The old Athlon chips were exposed from the factory and I never had any issues with any of those builds back in the day. (Speaking of that, remember when you could unlock those chips with a pencil???)

I used ceramic paste to paint the parts of the CPU package that were not the Die.... Just in case.

Anyone find a PDF version of this?

WTF would they use flash of all things.

It literally says their "delidding" process reduce load temps by 15-30C. Like you said, they only got around a 13C improvement. Which is

Awesome, I've been reading this site for 12 years and you guys are still the only one I really trust on these matters.
You're right, I didn't see the text above that. They must be talking about the potential drop in temps from delidding, using both CLU/CLP and an upgraded cooling solution, or mounting on the bare die to get 30C.

Back