GIGABYTE AORUS AX370-Gaming 5 Motherboard Review @ [H]

>>M.2 is a stupid form factor

We will eventually see those moved to the back (Biostar already does this).
Case and motherboard makers need to agree where to put access holes.
Can't even get at backplate of CPU as it is now, is kind of rediculous...

It doesn't matter. I think the trace path layout is going to have to be spread further across the board than U.2 would be. You still have to contend with heat issues as actively cooling an M.2 drive in almost any location is potentially problematic. M.2 is great because it's flat. It's nice for mobile applications but makes very little sense on the desktop. U.2 is a superior form factor in my opinon.

However, that's straying off topic a bit.

Im using the K7 which I believe is similar if not the same bar being able to adjust BCLK

My corsair LPX memory has ran @ 3200 using the XMP profile, super stable from day 1.
3.9GHz @1.35v on a 1600X
Bumped it up to 4.0GHz @ 1.4v BIOS 1.392 CPU-Z
DRAM Voltage stock XMP setting of 1.35
SOC Volatge stock setting is 1.1v I believe

Waiting for more stable BIOS release before pushing further as on every crash I get a ROM Image not loaded error and have to flash BIOS to an older revision and then back to the latest before I can adjust clock freq. again.

Apart from that super stable and happy. My only gripe is that the 1600x is advertised as 4.0GHz and I got exicited before reading reviews. It should say 3.7!! Also alot of work for AMD to do with power saving options as the Ryzen power plan (90% minimum processor power state) doesnt allow down volting and downclocking on my chip. Also seems to hamper XFR, doesnt boost to 4.0 or 4.1 when stock settings are loaded, just sits at 3.7 all the time.

But back to the MOBO, seems good :)

Excellent report from the first wave of the AM4 platform. I especially liked how the conclusion had both Dan's and Kyle's opinions thus far.

What I got from this was what I was planning on doing, wait for Vega release to build an AM4 PC. Hopefully by then we'll have the 2nd wave of AM4 mobo's and the code will be cleaned up.

Excellent report from the first wave of the AM4 platform. I especially liked how the conclusion had both Dan's and Kyle's opinions thus far.

What I got from this was what I was planning on doing, wait for Vega release to build an AM4 PC. Hopefully by then we'll have the 2nd wave of AM4 mobo's and the code will be cleaned up.

There shouldn't be that many new motherboards this generation. Perhaps a few, but what we have is generally what will be available until a refreshed version or a totally new product comes out. Existing designs will certainly get updated AGESA code and a UEFI BIOS updates from each manufacturer. The platform won't be the same, or shouldn't be the same 60 days from now. It should be a lot better.

I don't know why you had the problems with memory that you did. I just bought one of these, popped in G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C15D-16GTZSW from Newegg (NOT Amazon as everyone is shilling for it seems lately), which is not on the QVL list, set the memory at XMP Profile 1 at 3200 Mhz with 15-15-15-35 timings in the BIOS and started playing games. I had NO problem with it at all. And that was first with the F4 BIOS, which I upgraded shortly after to F5 and went back into the BIOS, reset it back to XMP Profile 1 at 3200 Mhz with 15-15-15-35 timings in the BIOS and went back to Windows and started playing games again. Worked perfectly fine. GREAT board! Although I am a bit concerned that it seems you can't use the U.2 and the M.2 slots at the same time.

You used different memory than what we have on hand. As for the M.2 and U.2 slots not working simultaneously, that's a result of the fixed x4 lanes allocated to M.2/U.2 off the CPU. Unless these are split out, they can't be used simultaneously without coming off the PCH of the chipset, which has a limited number of lanes. As it stands, PCIe switches are employed to allow you to use M.2 or U.2, but with only x4 lanes off the CPU allocated to them, you can only use one interface at a time.

Where in the bios is the setting for spread spectrum ? I want to disable that option.

Back