Gigabyte 970A-DS3P v2.0 unable to set up raid0

Mike_Hawk

Weaksauce
Everythings working. I'm new to the UEFI BIOS & had some trouble getting the raid setup initially. After some playing I got it.
Now Windows 7 64bit doesn't see the raid array? Really? Haven't had that issue since WinXP.
Reading in the manual it says to put driver on flash drive & install. On the website all it has is a driver for a floppy disc. A FLOPPY DISC? IN 2016? ROFL, not sure why I bought this board.
Unable to get it to work, or have the wrong file in any case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, had setting in BIOS for a Win8 OS & then turn CSM off ... so I've done all that as well. I'm going to recreate the array & start over.
Again, any pointers would be helpful. Haven't built an AMD system in years.

Ok, well I have all the correct BIOS settings. Now all I need is a driver that works. Cause the one off the gigabyte website isn't working. I've done 3 google searches for it. If I could get a link to one that works ...

Just noticed the USB flash drive the actually has an LED & flashes when it's being used is not flashing when I goto install raid driver on win7 install. So I'm wondering if motherboard is faulty.

Ok well 20 views means either no one knows what the problem is, or no one gives a fuck enough and try to point someone in the right direction. I'm just about positive it's a BIOS setting. Went through the UEFI to setup the RAID array and Win8 CMS off in BIOS. Then I see I have to turn the CMS back on & set some other settings. Not sure which ones. Since not getting any pointers here, no sense in coming back then.

Ok well 20 views means either no one knows what the problem is, or no one gives a fuck enough and try to point someone in the right direction. I'm just about positive it's a BIOS setting. Went through the UEFI to setup the RAID array and Win8 CMS off in BIOS. Then I see I have to turn the CMS back on & set some other settings. Not sure which ones. Since not getting any pointers here, no sense in coming back then.
Hello Mike,
Have you check the process of configure Raid for AMD 970 on Gigabyte manual?
This is for Window 8 with OS support UEFI mode.
http://download.gigabyte.asia/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ds3p_v.2.x_e.pdf

Note1: a. The first things for you to create a bootable EFI shell USB using UEFI RAID utility from your bootable USB. (Very Important!!!) You can check Gigabyte on how to get EFI shell files.
b. Then boot to EFI shell command not DOS command by Press F12 for boot menu and select EFI shell.
c. Follow the instruction on the manual as attached pictures.
Type on efi shell command prompt: drvcfg --> this is to show your DVD drive letter.
then type : drvcfg -s xx xx --> this is to enter UEFI DVD.
Note2: For Window 7 it does not support UEFI RAID but legacy Raid.
Only on Window 8 or 10 support UEFI Raid.

Attachments

• 970ADS3P raid.jpg
    970ADS3P raid.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 62
  • UEFI shell.jpg
    UEFI shell.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Yea I only did the raid thru the Ctrl-F raid controller. You are correct, Win7 does not support UEFI. I have RMA'd the board & will wait for another one. I turned all the UEFI options off in BIOS & set everything to legacy as well as set the port 4/5 to IDE & plugged my sata DVD into port 5. Once array was created you could see it in BIOS, just not during windows install.
So I went back to my Intel setup & now Windows Update for Win7 isn't working.
I did try as a trouble shooting process to do a UEFI raid array & same outcome.
FYI, I could get win7 to install AHCI on a single drive.

I was on the phone with gigabyte tech support for a few hours the other day. But we couldn't get it to work. I must admit it's been almost 10 years since I built an AMD system. So I feel like I did something wrong e.g. BIOS setting etc...

Thanks for the 1 & only reply too lol

On AMDs website they have raid drivers in a .exe file that can be installed AFTER windows is installed. I even talked to a tech support associate for AMD & he suggested I make the raid array after I install windows lol

I tried to explain to him that 99% of motherboard makers have an embedded driver in most windows versions so all you have to do is update the driver after install, or even before install like this one. But making an array after installing isn't optimal for performance. It's something so simple that I can't believe I had to make a support ticket to get this question answered.
I have to say this is turning me off to AMD products or suggesting other people buy them.

Yea I only did the raid thru the Ctrl-F raid controller. You are correct, Win7 does not support UEFI. I have RMA'd the board & will wait for another one. I turned all the UEFI options off in BIOS & set everything to legacy as well as set the port 4/5 to IDE & plugged my sata DVD into port 5. Once array was created you could see it in BIOS, just not during windows install.
So I went back to my Intel setup & now Windows Update for Win7 isn't working.
I did try as a trouble shooting process to do a UEFI raid array & same outcome.
FYI, I could get win7 to install AHCI on a single drive.

I was on the phone with gigabyte tech support for a few hours the other day. But we couldn't get it to work. I must admit it's been almost 10 years since I built an AMD system. So I feel like I did something wrong e.g. BIOS setting etc...

Thanks for the 1 & only reply too lol
Hello Mike,
If you want to install Raid for Window 7 under legacy, my suggesttion is to set under bios setup\bios features\under OS type\Storage Boot Option Control\set is as Legacy only.
You will see your DVD drive or else you cannot found your DVD. Please do attached your DVD on SATA port 4 or 5 and set it as IDE.

Thanks for reply. I actually didn't have it all set to legacy. I'm guessing that was some of the problem. I did finally use those settings in BIOS before I sent it back for RMA.
My issue is with the raid driver for the AMD southbridge. The flash drive I use has a tiny LED on it & flashes when accessed. It was not lighting up. I have a Gigabyte F2A68HM-H that when you install Win7 on it. Has same issue. Only the flash drive lights up for a sec while the system takes the drive file. I've read the raid driver is not WHQL. If that is the case, that's why it acts like it's installing, it but actually doesn't. I have found the driver I believe is the correct one, & when the new board returns I will give it a try.
I did have the raid drives on Ports 0/1 & the dvd on port 5. It says in manual to use 5.

Now Gigabytes support contacted me to tell me the Samsung Evo 850s cannot be configured to be seen on that raid controller. As I laugh as I type this, their support is very much a joke.

Now Gigabytes support contacted me to tell me the Samsung Evo 850s cannot be configured to be seen on that raid controller. As I laugh as I type this, their support is very much a joke.
Hello Mike,
I think Gigabyte Technical support is right, this is due to AMD Software driver Raid limitation.
Promise chipset is already ended since 2013.

By the way, correction on my previous mailm sata port 4 and 5 should be set as SATA Type not IDE.

Last edited:
The person at Gigabyte did say to put SATA type to IDE ... I will try again when it shows up.

I thought it was a marvell raid controller for the SB950?
Yea I wish I had known it was a promise controller on this board. For sure wouldn't have gotten it. So ALL SB950s have a promise built into them?

Well finally found a driver to get the raid working. Thanks to Win Raid forums.

Back