Gigabyte 8800GT RMA replacement offer

My GV-NX88T512HPV1 8800GT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125088 (factory clocked to 700 core, 920 mem, 1700 shader) burnt a mosfet and went off to RMA. I am being offered a GV-N98TOC-1GI 9800GT (700, 900, 1700) http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=VGA&ProductID=3055&ProductName=GV-N98TOC-1GI as a replacement.

Not sure if I should be thrilled or not, yes it is 1gig vs 512mb, but slower clocked. (yea only 20 mhz) but still, my 8800GT cost me $260!. Now if it was this model - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125286 (740, 900, 1850) Sure, but they linked to the older, lower clocked model, so I am assuming its the one they are offering.

So what do ya think? Accept it or see if anything else is offered?

I'd accept it and be happy with it. :D comparable in spec, runs cooler, and has more vram LOL

I think with Company's being pretty generous with rma/replacments people are just getting a bit greedy. IMO

It's newer tech and will run slightly cooler than your 8800GT ... I'd take it.

Overclock it 20mhz and be thankful they are giving you a 1gb card with a better cooler, not that you'll see ANY difference with a 20mhz overclock.

...I think with Company's being pretty generous with rma/replacments people are just getting a bit greedy. IMO

Maybe I am, as this is the 2nd rma replacement for this card, I want some compensation for my hassles. Having just gotten finished dealing with a 2 month and 3 RMA, Asus 4870 nightmare, I'm just a bit RMA weary... Give me a good replacement dammit!

9800gt 1gb is a better card than a 8800gt 512. the end.

Wow, you know maybe your right, I should just be thankful, It really is a better card. Lets see; 55nm process - so a bit cooler than my 8800GT that never got above 70c, 512MB more vram and 15 mhz higher shader clock. By golly I think I'll take it, thanks for the help good sir and have a nice day.

9800gt 1gb is a better card than a 8800gt 512. the end.

lol actually its not.. because the card cant use the extra 512mb of ram.. its shader limited to hell.. also the memory wont overclock as high as the 512mb.. essentially the 9800GT 1GB is just the 8800GT 1GB that came out a few months after the 512 version.. and the card didnt sell for shit.. but either way id take the 9800GT over the 8800GT for the pure fact of knowing i could hit 736/1836 on the gpu and shaders without having to do a bios voltage mod which i had to do my evga 8800GT..

Wow, you know maybe your right, I should just be thankful, It really is a better card. Lets see; 55nm process - so a bit cooler than my 8800GT that never got above 70c, 512MB more vram and 15 mhz higher shader clock. By golly I think I'll take it, thanks for the help good sir and have a nice day.

um where did you get the idea that the 9800GT 1GB was a 55nm process? its a 65nm g92 gpu with the voltage set at 1.1v instead of 1.05v like the 8800GT.. the 9800GTX+ was the only 9 series card that used a 55nm gpu.. and the 9400GT used a g94 gpu for a short time til it was replaced with the g92 because it was cheaper to produce even though the g94 was a better chip..

Last edited:
...um where did you get the idea that the 9800GT 1GB was a 55nm process? its a 65nm g92 gpu with the voltage set at 1.1v instead of 1.05v like the 8800GT.. the 9800GTX+ was the only 9 series card that used a 55nm gpu.. and the 9400GT used a g94 gpu for a short time til it was replaced with the g92 because it was cheaper to produce even though the g94 was a better chip..

Well I figured this is probably the same board being used in the 9800GT 1GB they offered. - http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15374/40/1/0/ I doubt they made a different 9800GT 1GB board just for the "Silent Cell" model.

"Although GPU-Z reports the GV-N98TSL-1GI to come with a 65nm graphics core, we took the cooler off and found out this is indeed the new 55nm G92 GPU (G92-283-B1) core which is more efficient and runs much cooler. "

Also - http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/9791-geforce-9800-gt-roundup-evga-asus-gigabyte-palit.html

Damn, I remember you OP from the thread 2 years ago about the Gigabyte 8800GT. Mine is still running strong at 740/1000/1850.

I thought Gigabyte only had a 1 year warranty on their cards.

Either way I think you got a decent replacement for your old ass 8800GT.

Your right, storm Gigabyte's HQ and demand a box full of new GTX 295s. You deserve it.

Last edited:
Damn, I remember you OP from the thread 2 years ago about the Gigabyte 8800GT. Mine is still running strong at 740/1000/1850.

I thought Gigabyte only had a 1 year warranty on their cards.

Either way I think you got a decent replacement for your old ass 8800GT.

It was actually still running fine for the most part, I had some texture corruption in L4D, but that might have been beta driver related. I noticed the burnt mosfet (so that's what that smell was months ago...), when swapping it to my gaming pc when I sent my 4870 off to Asus for RMA. Not sure how long it would have lasted like that of if it was causing the texture issue. Talked to tech support and they said send it in. The Gigabyte warrenty is 3 yrs. by the way and goes by the date of manufacture not purchase. The date is in the S/N.

I'm waiting on a reply concerning the 8800GT replacement. Will report back as to how it goes.

Your right, storm Gigabyte's HQ and demand a box full of new GTX 295s. You deserve it.

Hey, thanks for chiming in again, oh and be sure to have ya a nice fucking day!

Your welcome. If you want something better, buy it cheapass! So many whiners and tightwads......they wont give me a gtx 285 for my old crappy 8800GT....BoooooHooooo......

Your welcome. If you want something better, buy it cheapass! So many whiners and tightwads......they wont give me a gtx 285 for my old crappy 8800GT....BoooooHooooo......

I don't think you understand the severity of what we went through with these cards. Gigabyte went through 3 versions of the card to get it right. First was crappy cooling overheated the card, then shitty memory that needed to be downclocked to keep from getting artifacts then they swapped both cooler and RAM for a card that was, and it can be argued, stable. So, yes, we went through months of hell getting a card that worked as advertised.

Not that he or anyone else deserves a 295 for their troubles, but they could have bumped him up to a 9800GTX+ to save face.

So here's the deal, it seems there's some wiggle room with Gigabyte's RMA's, they base the replacement on similar performance first, hoping to get away with giving the cheapest card as a replacement, but when pressed a little, what was originally paid for the RMA'd card is also considered. I paid $265 for the 8800GT, I asked about the GV-N250OC-1GI (Rev. 2.0) Here - http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=VGA&ProductID=3113&ProductName=GV-N250OC-1GI

He said he would need a copy of my invoice, which I promptly pulled up from Newegg and sent him and his reply was -

"On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM, GIGABYTE Customer Services <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Customer,

The GV-N250OC-1GI will be a free direct upgrade to your GV-NX88T512HPV1, if you are willing to take the GV-N250OC-1GI as replacement for your RMA#USA-xxxxxxx please reply back to this email and we will process the replacement and have it shipped as soon as possible. Thank You"

And I said "Hell yes!!!" Were talking 128 sp's, 765 core, 2200 mem and 1912 shader clocks. Nice upgrade indeed.

And as for you

You can kiss my cheapass!

Last edited:
Nobody cares how much you paid for it. Are you trying to say you deserve a card worth $265 right now? That's ridiculous.

Nobody cares how much you paid for it. Are you trying to say you deserve a card worth $265 right now? That's ridiculous.

Did you bother to read at all, they asked for my invoice to see what I paid for my card, if I thought I deserved a $265 card, I wouldn't have asked about the $150 GTS250. Now bug off...

Yawn.............still lots of whining for a shitty card.....o well, maybe someday your mommy will buy you a better one.

So here's the deal, it seems there's some wiggle room with Gigabyte's RMA's, they base the replacement on similar performance first, hoping to get away with giving the cheapest card as a replacement, but when pressed a little, what was originally paid for the RMA'd card is also considered. I paid $265 for the 8800GT, I asked about the GV-N250OC-1GI (Rev. 2.0) Here - http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...=VGA&ProductID=3113&ProductName=GV-N250OC-1GI

He said he would need a copy of my invoice, which I promptly pulled up from Newegg and sent him and his reply was -

"On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM, GIGABYTE Customer Services <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Customer,

The GV-N250OC-1GI will be a free direct upgrade to your GV-NX88T512HPV1, if you are willing to take the GV-N250OC-1GI as replacement for your RMA#USA-1011396 please reply back to this email and we will process the replacement and have it shipped as soon as possible. Thank You"

And I said "Hell yes!!!" Were talking 128 sp's, 765 core, 2200 mem and 1912 shader clocks. Nice upgrade indeed.

And as for you

You can kiss my cheapass!

and this is exactly why we all pay higher prices for cards with lifetime warranties.. because douche bags try to take advantage of this shit instead of using common sense..

and this is exactly why we all pay higher prices for cards with lifetime warranties.. because douche bags try to take advantage of this shit instead of using common sense..

+1 the whine threads on this forum are really getting outa hand. Its looking more like wtf gimmie free top of the line upgrade for my shitty card forum instead of videocard forums.

give it a couple years all videocards be back to 2-3 year warranties max or only lifetime of card warranties. Abuse always comes back around.

+1 the whine threads on this forum are really getting outa hand. Its looking more like wtf gimmie free top of the line upgrade for my shitty card forum instead of videocard forums.

give it a couple years all videocards be back to 2-3 year warranties max or only lifetime of card warranties. Abuse always comes back around.
Sounds about right.

WTF is with you all? I even had the option of paying out of pocket the price difference (not sure how that's calculated) if I wanted to go for an even higher performance replacement.

What the fuck is wrong with playing them at their game a bit, you know their going to try to get by with giving out the cheapest replacement possible with comparable performance, so if allowed to get an upgraded replacement at no additional cost, why wouldn't you be interested? No, because your all just fucking saints right. Give it a rest already.

Oh, looks like my 8800GT replacement, the GV-N250OC-1GI shipped out today, looking forward to see how it runs.

Last edited:
WTF is with you all? I even had the option of paying out of pocket the price difference (not sure how that's calculated) if I wanted to go for an even higher performance replacement.

What the fuck is wrong with playing them at their game a bit, you know their going to try to get by with giving out the cheapest replacement possible with comparable performance, so if allowed to get an upgraded replacement at no additional cost, why wouldn't you be interested? No, because your all just fucking saints right. Give it a rest already.

Oh, looks like my 8800GT replacement, the GV-N250OC-1GI shipped out today, looking forward to see how it runs.

Because they were already giving you an upgrade.

you know their going to try to get by with giving out the cheapest replacement possible with comparable performance

Yeah... cause that's all you deserve. You don't deserve a better card. The 9800 GT would have been faster than what you had, you should have said thank you and taken it as a gift.

You're attempt at rationalizing what you did shows everyone even you know what you did was wrong. People don't have to rationalize when they are right.

And to some of us, our morals are worth more to us than the 20$ difference between a 9800GT and a GTS 250. Sorry yours aren't worth as much to you.

Back