Gigabyte 7970 x8/x16 lane speed

Scooby22B

Limp Gawd
Hello, im curious if the problem is with the motherboard or videocard, first of all my MB is an AsRock z77 extreme4, now i just got a new Gigabyte 7970 Ghz edition card which is pcie 3.0 and 16x, prior to this card i had a radeon 5870 pcie 2.0 and 16x now that card shows as (PCI-E 2.0x16@x16 2.0) with the GPUZ program, now when i install my gigabyte 7970 card it only reads as (PCI-E3.0x16@x8 1.1) but 3.0 when running 3D application. My question is why is the motherboard only detecting it as an 8x card and not full 16x lane? how can that be changed to 16x like my old card detected?

you need to click on that "?" on the side and run the render test.

If you don't click there, it will show @x8 1.1

you need to click on that "?" on the side and run the render test.

If you don't click there, it will show @x8 1.1

i did all it does is go from x8 1.1 to x8 3.0 doesnt go to x16

Snap2.bmp

Snap3.bmp

You know my 7870xt(Tahiti le) does the same thing with gpuz says pcie 1.1 instead of 2.0:confused:

You know my 7870xt(Tahiti le) does the same thing with gpuz says pcie 1.1 instead of 2.0:confused:

1.1 is fine thats idle so it wont use more power but once u run a 3D application/game it will boost up to 3.0 if your board supports it because u mention 2.0 not 3.0, but im still running at x8 not x16

Hello, im curious if the problem is with the motherboard or videocard, first of all my MB is an AsRock z77 extreme4, now i just got a new Gigabyte 7970 Ghz edition card which is pcie 3.0 and 16x, prior to this card i had a radeon 5870 pcie 2.0 and 16x now that card shows as (PCI-E 2.0x16@x16 2.0) with the GPUZ program, now when i install my gigabyte 7970 card it only reads as (PCI-E3.0x16@x8 1.1) but 3.0 when running 3D application. My question is why is the motherboard only detecting it as an 8x card and not full 16x lane? how can that be changed to 16x like my old card detected?

Do you have any hardware installed on PCI Express 3.0 slot #2? If so, it's down clocking to X8 because of that device. I had this issue also :)

Do you have any hardware installed on PCI Express 3.0 slot #2? If so, it's down clocking to X8 because of that device. I had this issue also :)

Negative, just have two pcie slots and only using one the top one so i dont get it :mad:

Firstly you're not going to get any speed differences between 8x and 16x PCI-E, especially in a single GPU configuration.

But most importantly, it's because the cards are not at full load so they are in a power saving state. I'm not sure if GPU-Z can correctly detect the actual PCI-E speed even with a loaded GPU. You could always try looking for the hardware information within the AMD CCC panel.

Back