Gigabyte 280x Problems

thefordmccord

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, I just received my 280x and I am already having problems.

I removed my Nvidia drivers using DDU 9.6 from safe mode. shut the computer down, installed the new card and then installed the latest AMD beta driver.

Right off the bat, I am get artifacts on the windows desktop.

I then used DDU and ATIMan to remove the beta driver in safe mode and then installed the latest whql driver. Still the same problems.

I ran FurMark and temps never got over 70c. I then fired up OCCT and enabled error checking. This is what I got:

gigabyte280xerrors.jpg

At this time, I decided to to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on an extra hard drive. Same results.

So, I'm guessing that I got a DOA card. Should I send it back, or is there something else I should be doing? This is the first ATI/AMD card I have owned in 10 years and so far it has not been a great experience. Thanks for any help!

Try to down clock it to reference level with afterburner. You'll see if you got a bad chip.those pre oc cards can do that from time to time

Also furmark probably wouldn't be the best bet for burn testing cards as it has a tendancy to put too much stress on cards. Try a diff benchmark in the furture like unigine heaven 4.0 or something. Try to stay clear of furmark. But I would agree that of its even happening after a fresh install then either its a crap chip and just needa more volts, or its bad in general and to RMA. Gl either way though.

If it won't run at the speeds that Gigabyte set at the factory, then I consider it defective. I guess I'll be doing a RMA.

Also furmark probably wouldn't be the best bet for burn testing cards as it has a tendancy to put too much stress on cards. Try a diff benchmark in the furture like unigine heaven 4.0 or something. Try to stay clear of furmark. But I would agree that of its even happening after a fresh install then either its a crap chip and just needa more volts, or its bad in general and to RMA. Gl either way though.

I tried both of these benchmarks. In both I get artifacts.

I understand that juat giving you a heads up that furmark can and has to others burn your gpu up. It pushes cards alittle too much.

Any recent card should be fine with Furmark. OP's card sounds defective with artifacts on desktop. The OCCT vram test has been buggy in the past.

Try to down clock it to reference level with afterburner. You'll see if you got a bad chip.those pre oc cards can do that from time to time

Yeah, first thing to do. My Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 boards won't really function at the "stock" 1650 memory speed (or the 280X version's 1600) using 13.11 9.2 beta drivers, I need to drop them down to 1500. Throwing extra voltage at the VRAM doesn't seem to help.

Core runs fine at 1100 (locked, not boost), even when I drop it down to 1.20v from the default 1.256v, and it never throttles, even after hours of BF4 at 1440p mostly Ultra, so there's that, plus there's headroom on the core (did a few runs at 1300 that seemed stable at 1.3V)

But I'm still considering an RMA, it's the high Matrix stock RAM timings that sold me on the card, and when it can't do what's printed on the tin, I'm a little miffed. And I think Asus knew there was a problem since they lowered speeds a bit on the 280X version.

Then again, I got these cards during the post-280X blowout period for damn near high-end non-reference 7950 prices (€205 each shipped VAT incl), they look cool as shit and the noise profile is even decent. At the very least they run at full 7970GE stock speeds with no issues, so it's not a total bust.

I'd say RMA. Don't think it's an AMD thing, getting a bad card is just the luck of the draw.

Well, I just got my card back from RMA and it is still a pile of shit. I don't think they did anything to it. I guess i'm going to chuck this hunk of crap into the recycling bin and buy something else.

I'll never buy Gigabyte again.

Back