Gigabyte 1080 Extreme

Raendor

Gawd
So, I've just snagged this first batch premium package from Newegg. Coming by Wednesday. Will post a quick review once it's here. Selling G1 1070 for MSRP (which arrives on Tuesday lol) to valve1138 instead of just sending it back.

My searching for a card is over for a few years.

I missed one by a few seconds it seemed like. I'll be looking forward to your review!

Congrats on the new card (y)

It appears that the official boost clock speed for this card is 1936 MHz (OC). Do let us know if you're able to sustain above this clock speed at all times.
And how the fan design performs if possible (good cooling performance, silent)

I'm thinking of getting either this or the Asus Strix OC

Congrats on the new card (y)

It appears that the official boost clock speed for this card is 1936 MHz (OC). Do let us know if you're able to sustain above this clock speed at all times.
And how the fan design performs if possible (good cooling performance, silent)

I'm thinking of getting either this or the Asus Strix OC

Will do cause that's what I'm interested in as well and that card promised to be very fast, cool and silent. Hope it's the case!

$700 for premium pack. No doubt there will be $679 non-premium version. I totally fell in love with that beefy cooler.

At first I thought there was no way I was going to spend $700 on a video card but this one changed my mind. I like that it comes with a nicer SLI bridge, too.

I wonder how cool/quiet this card is, the middle pushed back fan is interesting.

I had been refreshing that page all night and still missed it! Lol but yea I'm in for 700. I just bought an Xtreme 970 a few months ago, my first Gigabyte card and am pretty happy with the build quality.

I had been refreshing that page all night and still missed it! Lol but yea I'm in for 700. I just bought an Xtreme 970 a few months ago, my first Gigabyte card and am pretty happy with the build quality.

All night? Man it was released at 9 EST and by 9:01 it was sold out. The stock was just around 100 or so cards.

All night? Man it was released at 9 EST and by 9:01 it was sold out. The stock was just around 100 or so cards.

Ah I didn't know that! I only refreshed the page every so often while gaming. I'm always thinking maybe, just maybe there will be something different shown on the page. Insanity I tell you.

How fast did you go through the purchasing process? I was refreshing right at 6pm pst so i could add to cart, but I think I fucked up, because once aIhit add to cart I took precious seconds to read shipping costs and other small print....I should have just instantly clicked secure checkout...

I have a $2600 dead paper weight sitting on my desk waiting for the xtreme to be installed....hurting really bad for this gpu...and I have a ton of projects to work on...ugghh..

How fast did you go through the purchasing process? I was refreshing right at 6pm pst so i could add to cart, but I think I fucked up, because once aIhit add to cart I took precious seconds to read shipping costs and other small print....I should have just instantly clicked secure checkout...

I have a $2600 dead paper weight sitting on my desk waiting for the xtreme to be installed....hurting really bad for this gpu...and I have a ton of projects to work on...ugghh..

I was logged in, card data entered and I knew from the start which shipping I should chose. I also used the link for automatic addition of the card into your basket. So it was a matter of 3-4 clicks once the clock showed 9:00 (Est).

Last edited:
hmmm, thanks for the advice....How.much was shipping for thenstandard?

I've heard using the newegg application on your cellphone is quick as well. I need to get me one of these...

So, it has finally arrived today.
I just had some quick testing but out of the box my card goes up to 2063 at 68-70 degree (it's quite warm in my apartment as well because it's summer :D).

Anyways, card is sooo quiet. Incomparable to evga's loud acx 2.0 I had before with 900 series.

Will need more tests to run and to play with OC, but it will take some time.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 13
hmmm...Like it you do not, sell you decide. $750 you accept from me, ship overnight to me you do. :) ;).

Thanks, great doing business with you.

Haha, no way! Btw I saw some people complaining that their middle fan is touching this X because the frame is a bit mis-positioned. My card doesn't have any issues with that. Looks like a rare QC issue that can be fixed with a small screwdriver manually.

If I end up with a 1080 I think this one will be it. Looks like one the best non FE/reference models. I bet the eVGA classified will be nice also but that ACX cooler fan gets too loud imho.

If I end up with a 1080 I think this one will be it. Looks like one the best non FE/reference models. I bet the eVGA classified will be nice also but that ACX cooler fan gets too loud imho.

Yeah, AcX 2.0 was loud. Don't think 3.0 is any different. This card however is so cool and silent! Very happy with the cooling solution Gigabyte developed for xtreme. With power, temp and voltage sliders all the way up and +100 core OC applied it never goes above 70-72 in Witcher 3, which is very heavy game. Core clock in W3 hovers around 2100 but usually stays at 2088 (I can try to add +15 more later) and bever goes beliw. In GTA V I'm around 64. Maybe will apply some memory OC later too, but honestly, I might even lower the Core clock just to be over 2 GHz as it won't really give me more than few fps. Card is already such a beast. Very happy with the purchase.

I think this card might indeed make me break my "ti" train upgrade route. ;)

I guess it's time to start using NowInStock.. or bribe someone at my local Frys.

Nice price!! Take that MSI!

Nothing to do with MSI I think? Or at least I don't think so.

MSI here costs the same as EVGA SC, and Taiwanese companies are known to price gouge their compatriots, not their foreign customers.

Have occasionzl driver crash and restore in witcher 3. Don't know whetwer its crappy driver or +100 MHz on core that causes it. Will try ddu first.

Let me preface this by yes I fell off my planned upgrade path with the "ti" and got a 1080 FE from Fry's.. the power of see now have now I guess. ;)

I kind of doubt your card can't handle +100 on the core. I am guessing this driver is still a little new. Just my gut feeling. I had TW3 drop to the desktop on my once with my 1080 and doom just freeze up (with windows running in the background) once but no issues since then using the 368.39 driver (I haven't applied the hotfix for high refresh displays). Knocking on wood things have been stable since. Be sure to check the 'perform clean install' box when you reinstall drivers with a new card if you didn't..

Let me preface this by yes I fell off my planned upgrade path with the "ti" and got a 1080 FE from Fry's.. the power of see now have now I guess. ;)

I kind of doubt your card can't handle +100 on the core. I am guessing this driver is still a little new. Just my gut feeling. I had TW3 drop to the desktop on my once with my 1080 and doom just freeze up (with windows running in the background) once but no issues since then using the 368.39 driver (I haven't applied the hotfix for high refresh displays). Knocking on wood things have been stable since. Be sure to check the 'perform clean install' box when you reinstall drivers with a new card if you didn't..

Probably it was driver after all. played a long session after DDU with reinstalled driver and same OC - no troubles so far and actually temps became even better.

Minor updtae. Still get driver restore in W3 sometimes. Only happens when I'm in the menu, i.e. trading, browsin inventory, etc. Don't know if that has something to do with 60 fps limit on and boost technology.

Last edited:
Back