Gigabit Speeds

Hey guys. Man am I stumped. I thought I had all of this mumbo jumbo crap down, but I guess I do not. Networking and software has been my biggest weakness in my computer hobby. I understand the very basics, and I can set keys for wireless, port forward and so on and so on. But man am I stumped. I need your guys help. I appreciate your guys time. On to my problem.

I use this program called teracopy. It's alot better then windows program. If anything goes wrong with the copying, you can pick up where you left off, instead of doing all over again. It tells me my speeds during tranfer. I have mostly green drives and a Raptor drive. I get speeds of 58-62 Mb/s during transfer between drives in eSata/Sata 3 connection. Seems like its the drives bottleneck. If I transfer between my usb 2.0 drives, USB/USB or Sata/USB, its transfers around 28/32 Mb/s. Okay, thats maxing out the connection, so both esata/usb maxes out the bandwidth.

I had a TP Link router which is 10/100 Mbits. I also have a Synology DS 409 which is 100/1000 Mbits. Transfer between this is around 9.8 Mb/s. This is between my computer, connect to router, to NAS. I know 9.8 Mb/s is maxing out my router connection as it says in the manual. I cant really transfer things at that slow of speed, it would take forever. So upgrade to a Gigabit router makes sense.

I just bought a WD N750 Gigabit router. And boy, I cant set this thing straight. I am not sure where the problem lies. I have been through disabling jumbo frames, TCP Checksum, Flow Control, Speed and Duplex. Almost all combinations of settings and I get speeds faster then my old router, but not where I am expecting. I get speeds of USB 2.0. I get between 28-32 Mb/s. I was told gigabit infrastructure is as fast as esata. So I was expecting atleast 58-62 Mb/s on green drives. I am getting half that speed. I do not know where the problem lies. I have cat 5e cables. Is 28-32 Mb/s reasonable speeds connected on a gigabit network? Or should it be faster, to me it just seems I waisted a buck for speeds not as fast as I was expecting.

Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks.

I had a TP Link router which is 10/100 Mbits.
Transfer between this is around 9.8 Mb/s.
Problem #1. 10/100 can only support a theoretical maximum throughput of 12.5 MB per second. So at 9.8 MB (call it 10MB), you've hit the real-world maximum throughput out that connection. So we know what is what is creating the bottleneck.

Mb= Megabit
MB=Megabyte
1 MB = 8 Mb

I also have a Synology DS 409 which is 100/1000 Mbits.
I just bought a WD N750 Gigabit router.
That's great, as it'll suport a theoretical 125 MB per second. The one last piece of this puzzle is, what sort of NIC does your desktop have? Particularly, who makes it and is it built into the MoBo? Intel nics are usually a tad bit more expensive, but they are usually worth the extra cost as they usually perform better. So you may want to try getting a PCI-e Intel Gigabit NIC, and see if your speeds improve. I've picked up a number of them off eBay for < $20.

Is 28-32 Mb/s reasonable speeds connected on a gigabit network?
That isn't a terrible figure by any means, especially without knowing what sort of network traffic you have. Remember, eSATA has a dedicated conduit between the disk and the MoBo. Transferring data to a NAS across your network requires using a shared conduit (your network), and the processing power of multiple devices. If 1 of those devices is busy with another task, it'll slow down the entire process. (IE: router is busy handling internet traffic for other devices.)

Another thing you may want to try, is connect your PC and NAS to a gigabit switch, and then uplink the switch to the router.

I would guess your NAS is the bottleneck. ~30 MB/s is pretty normal for a lot of NAS devices.

Not sure what I did, but I am getting speeds alittle faster now. Reading, as in getting data from NAS to my computer is faster then putting data on my NAS. Writing. Reading speeds is now around 34-44 KB/s. Not sure what setting I did. Writing to NAS is around 25-32 KB/s. Hmm. Still doing more transfers. But it seems I can get any faster....

I have a Realtek RTL8168C PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

I have always thought synology were the top of the line NAS. It has good applications, a good dashboard, very easy user interface. Seems I am down about 3 generations in. The current is the DS-412+. Thats a really nice NAS server. Looks real fast. I am currently waiting for the DS-413 though, but no word on that. I kind of just want to run plex server on that. It wont work with my cpu in this older model.

Yeah sorry for getting the Mb/s, and MB/s. Wasnt sure which figure I was talking about, but thanks for your help.

Reading the review. It seems the numbers are about right. Certain things can get to around 50 MB/s. Reading is alway's faster then writing. So I think I should be happy. Was going to change router, but meh, well see. Thanks

I have Synology NAS at home ,a 712+ and I can hit ~ 100 MB/s which is where it maxes out at. The higher-end Synologys can max out gigabit.

I love my Synology to death. Best purchase ever.

Back