Gigabit only getting 100Mb? (vista x64, 780i)

deaddawg

Weaksauce
I have an EVGA 780i board. It is connected to a gigabit switch which also has a raid5 fileserver. My HTPC can hit 54MB/s when copying files from the HTPC to the Fileserver. However, my 780i peaks at 9.5 - 10% useage (only 100Mbit, or 10 - 11 MB/s)

I have tried using each of the two ports separately, and also with the nvidia combined mode. Same issues.

I am running Vista x64. I am running two WD 640gb drives in Raid0 as well on this desktop.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem? Any fix? This is a huge bottleneck for me!

What are you using to copy? FTP? Windows Sharing?

Is the NIC syncing at Gigabit speeds (look in the network connections area and look at the adapter properties to see if it is linked at 1gb or 100mbps)

There is no known fix, its some really odd bug with vista, both 32 and 64.. Ive uploaded at 111MB/s to my server and never past 10 from it.

Yeah it is connected at 1Gbit/s, hence the 10% network utilization.

I thought I remembered something about a bug like this during Beta, but it is still around? My HTPC is running Vista x32 and it runs fine, as I said.

Ugh!

My Vista x64 machine does 50-60MB/s from my server via FTP...

But that is still rare, usually you get around 10-15 on even Gigabit as there is lots of overhead, plus disk speed determines a lot as well (remember that other things can be using the disk as well, so even if you have really fast disks, if other things are using them at the same time it can hurt the speed).

It isn't hardware or anything, it is a Vista problem.

Fileserver has 10 drive Raid 5 array on a PCI-e controller. Also has a PCIx 1000BaseT Intel NIC.

Switch is a Cisco 3750G-24PS-S

Desktop is EVGA 780i, q6600, 4GB Ram and two WD 640GB in Raid0.

I would love to install Windows XP to test my theory, but I don't own a Floppy Drive or a Floppy Disk to install XP onto this raid array.

I would love to install Windows XP to test my theory, but I don't own a Floppy Drive or a Floppy Disk to install XP onto this raid array.

Integrate the drivers into the XP cd using nlite.

Have you enable jumbo frames?

No, I was thinking of doing that though. But still, with jumbo frames off, my HTPC is still getting 50MB/s running Vista doign the same transfer, and it is a much slower computer. It isn't running and nVidia chipset though...

ya i had huge network speed issues with my vista ultimate x64 machine (and my x86 HP system too) then i started to play around with flow control and turning it off on both the system and server helped with that, usage went from 5-11% up to 50-80% on my gig network at home.

Not a good idea to turn off flow control!

Just be happy with 100 meg, its probs a smb error or a error in ur network cards ssettings

If it aint broken then nothing needs fixing, just think about it like that!

Just be happy with 100 meg, its probs a smb error or a error in ur network cards ssettings

If it aint broken then nothing needs fixing, just think about it like that!

That's terrible advice, clearly it is broke (since it's not functioning as it's supposed to) which is why the OP posted here. That's like saying "my car won't go 60mph, but since it runs and I can hit 15mph, no biggie" :rolleyes:

To the OP: Do you have a different discrete NIC you could try? It could be something goofy with either the nVidia NICs or drivers. It may also pay to try a different port and cable as well.

Tried different cables and ports. I am thinking to buy a 1 port PCIe Intel NIC, but I hate to spend money when I have two integrated gigabit ports.

This might sound weird, but make sure both ports (NIC and switch) are at 1000 full. I've seen NICs set on auto-negotiate set themselves to 10 half and 100 half, when the switch has the port hard-set to 100 full. Causes all sorts of packet collisions and weird issues.

Back