Gigabit network speed in Win8.1 vs Win7

ChineseStunna

Limp Gawd
Just updated my workstation to Windows 8.1 and noticed an annoying issue: transferring large files from my NAS server over gigabit seems much slower than under Windows 7.
There was no hardware change overall between the server, workstation or network but for some reason, while Windows 7 can max out the gigabit connection moving files at about 105-108MBps over the network, Windows 8.1 is hovering around 85MBps. Task Manager shows about 750-780Mbps utilization on the network port

The NAS array is good for 600MBps reads and workstation HDD array is good for 400MBps writes, I've also tried copying to the workstation SSD array that's good for 700MBps writes.

I have tried lowering Windows 8.1 QoS reserve bandwidth down to 0, updated the drivers for the RealTek NICs to the latest, tried both ports on the motherboard, changed cables etc.

I'm really lost, any insights would be appreciated! Thanks!

Just updated my workstation to Windows 8.1 and noticed an annoying issue: transferring large files from my NAS server over gigabit seems much slower than under Windows 7.
There was no hardware change overall between the server, workstation or network but for some reason, while Windows 7 can max out the gigabit connection moving files at about 105-108MBps over the network, Windows 8.1 is hovering around 85MBps. Task Manager shows about 750-780Mbps utilization on the network port

The NAS array is good for 600MBps reads and workstation HDD array is good for 400MBps writes, I've also tried copying to the workstation SSD array that's good for 700MBps writes.

I have tried lowering Windows 8.1 QoS reserve bandwidth down to 0, updated the drivers for the RealTek NICs to the latest, tried both ports on the motherboard, changed cables etc.

I'm really lost, any insights would be appreciated! Thanks!

Could it be this? http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-for...your-bandwidth-and-prevent-bandwidth-limiting At least it would match conveniently with the 20% performance loss.

That's what someone else suggested as well but I've already made that adjustment, it got me to 89-90MBps but still a ways off from 100+

Really these are shots in the dark because of not much in the hardware info for me. Just Realtek, OS's, on a GbE.

Curious, check and see if NIC has 4 Receive Queues. Then how many cores do you have? Set the queue to the amount of cores.

Turn off write buffer cache flushing for the drives on 8.1 (not toggled on by default after install) [q.v. https://social.technet.microsoft.co...write-cache-buffer-flushing?forum=w7itproperf]. What about storage drivers too; are they recent? What about drivers in general for the system (is every PCI device, bus, host, root complex, et al installed)? You can run WireShark and see if there are any pause frames.

The QoS reserved is only if it is being implement, as in real time communication at the time

Secondly, 20% of your bandwidth is reserved only when QoS tasks are running. When no QoS task is running, by default you have access to 100% of your bandwidth. So by going forward with removing the 20% reserve, essentially you wouldn’t be recovering all 20% of your bandwidth; you would be recovering the piece of the 20% that is wasted and unused when a QoS task is running.

Thanks but all drivers are up to date. Also as I've stated in the OP, issue isn't with the disk arrays in NAS or workstation, they are all good enough to saturate a gigabit connection. I was pulling down data at ~105MBps last week with exact setup, only thing changed is workstation OS is now Windows 8.1

they are all good enough to saturate a gigabit connection. I was pulling down data at ~105MBps last week with exact setup, only thing changed is workstation OS is now Windows 8.1

As in why I asked the question and noted particular things that are not done after completing installation; and default installation drivers do not always = performance; you noted only changing Ethernet driver.

So, the lacking information, is that the system is completely up-to-date and is configure properly and optimally-Even though you do not mention that at all. Note: my post is nothing but about your 8.1 system.

Back