Gigabit Hardware Advice Needed

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I hope to upgrade my network soon to gigabit. I did some research and will be going with the NetGear GS108 The ones created after September 2005 support jumbo frames! People have been reporting to be getting the newer versions through Newegg reviews.

However, any recomendations on PCI gigabit NIC's? One PC will be the fileserver which I do ALOT of data transfers to and from. It's a P3 1GHZ with 768MB RAM. Then the other two machines are 3.2GHZ Athlon XP's.

I don't have too much money since i'm a college student so would want the best bang for the buck. Would I need those crazy $50-60 NIC's from Intel/3Com for the fileserver, since it will be using the network the most? It's on Windows 2003 Server if that helps any.

I got 3 Intel PRO1000s from the FS/FT forum for ~$40, one of the best deals ever, and some of the best NICs ever. The two in my ipcop box never, ever choke, and I'm about to put the 3rd in my desktop to replace the onboard Realtek. Pricey, yes, but Intel NICs are truly pwn. Not to mention they run on damn near any OS, and support iirc, >9KB MTU for jumbo frames.

Damn.. $40! That's a great deal.

Cheapest I found online is $21 shipped... which is not too bad. Maybe i'll buy 2 for now.

You got two AXP's to 3.2Ghz?

I need to get gigabit hardware now to. I've got onboard gigabit nics but I need to get a switch sometime so I can use them.

AssMan said:
I need to get gigabit hardware now to. I've got onboard gigabit nics but I need to get a switch sometime so I can use them.
Got a 16-port Belkin from CDW for $90. Jumbo frames support isn't official though, YMMV. I can push easy 40MB/s transfers on average when just transfering video files or whatnot. (40MB/s = 320Mbps).

Back