gigabit ethernet

HelpMe

n00b
my friend just bought a dell with integrated gigabit ethenet. how can he take advantage of this, he only has 4mbps cable line in his house.

HelpMe said:
my friend just bought a dell with integrated gigabit ethenet. how can he take advantage of this, he only has 4mbps cable line in his house.

Get Cat6 Gig Cable and a something can transfter at Gig speeds, as in a Gig siwtch

He can get a gigabit switch and have the other computers on the network have gigabit NICs and have a gigabit network. Doesnt matter for the actual Internet speeds. 4Gbps is pretty good speeds.

-(Xyphox)- said:
Get Cat6 Gig Cable and a something can transfter at Gig speeds, as in a Gig siwtch
All you need is CAT5e. Much cheaper, easier to find, and will transfer at 10/100/1000.

ISP has nothing to do with his cable. Whatever ISP is giving him whatever online speeds, the speed of your internal ethernet is irrelavent. You will need gigabit cat 5e or cat6 cabling along with gigabit NIC's and switches for it to be entirely gigabit.

HelpMe said:
so all he needs is a cat5e cable? dont need to switch isp's or anything?
Does he have a router, switch. . . ?

Router -> Modem you only get 10Mbps.

You should have this if you want a Gig Network:
Modem -> Router -> Gigabit Switch -> Systems with Gig NICs.

If you buddy has only 4Mbps cable then 10Mbps ethernet will do him just find. No need for 1Gbps.

Also you only need CAT5e for 1Gbps.

Good point, a gigabit network WILL NOT increase your internet speeds in any shape or form. Only if your doing major network file transfers will you benefit from gigabit ethernet.

Scheizekopf said:
He can get a gigabit switch and have the other computers on the network have gigabit NICs and have a gigabit network. Doesnt matter for the actual Internet speeds. 4Gbps is pretty good speeds.
Yea, I'de have to say 4Gpbs is pretty good speeds... :D
Bwaaahahaahwahahahaaa

Actually you only need a 4-pair Cat 5 cable for Gig over copper

:throwsfuelonfire:

There's no need for him to worry about it with only a 4 mbit cable line.

valve1138 said:
Actually you only need a 4-pair Cat 5 cable for Gig over copper

:throwsfuelonfire:

There's no need for him to worry about it with only a 4 mbit cable line.

i am with you no need what so ever... I run a smoothwall box that i have a 10mb eithernet card for my red card (external traffic/internet traffic) on the internal LAN side of things i have full 100mpbs cards on everything.

10/100/1000 card will just autonagotiate the speed he need going from his dsl/cable modem to his computer.

i see, makes more sense now. since he has this feature built in, just wondering if it was worth taking advantage of.

HelpMe said:
i see, makes more sense now. since he has this feature built in, just wondering if it was worth taking advantage of.
Only if all the other computers on his network have gigabit nics, he wants to spend the extra money on a gigabit switch, and you do big transfers and really care about transfer speeds.

Back