Gigabit ethernet wireless router with DD-WRT?

Not to be TOO specific... :D

But I currently have a Linksys E3200 I bought in a moment of weakness after an evening of being pissed off at bricking my old WRT610N. (soft bricked, but I'm beyond screwing with it)

There's nothing *wrong* with it, but I am interested in something that either comes preinstalled with DD-WRT, or is well supported (ie easy to install on) by DD-WRT. I plan on selling the E3200 once I find something to replace it.

My requirements:
-Gigabit
-5 GHz (I have a file server/HTPC; I don't want to be limited to gigabit ethernet)
-$150 or less (I know $150 is high, but I figure I'll get close to that for the E3200)

Those are my only hard and fast requirements. Anything specific I should start looking at?

Thanks!

Look at an Atheros based like WNDR3700v1, WNDR3700v2 (not v3) or WNDR3800.
Have in mind that 5 Ghz might be a bit tricky to get running on a 3rd party firmware.
I would highly recommend you to have a look at OpenWRT if you're going to run a 3rd party firmware as its much more flexible and is updated much more frequently which really helps the wireless performance. You also have a few Buffalo modems that are very suitable for OpenWRT/DD-WRT and I think a few models comes with a modified version of DD-WRT ootb.
//Danne

E3200 is listed as dd-wrt supported. I have E3000 working fine with DD-WRT. I think Atheros doesn't support VLAN, personally I would go with Broadcom.

VLANs work fine (at least with Realtek switches as far as I can tell) and Broadcoms WLAN drivers are binary blobs which is bad in terms of getting updated software but oh well, you can read up on it yourself.
//Danne

Back