Gigabit Ethernet Slow - Can't Find the Bottleneck

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
Drag/Drop transfer rate between any of the Windows 7 Pro machines = 11MB/s.

I assume its the residential gateway, but hope not, as its the only way I could get my WiFi cams motion alerts to actually email the images.

Setup:
1) AT&T Uverse Residential Gateway
(wifi disabled / handles all routing / port forwarding / firewall rules)

2) Cisco E3000 Wireless N router #1 DNS disabled, port1 connected to Uverse Gateway
(computerA hardwired, computerB hardwired, wifi cams)

3) Cisco E3000 Wireless N Router #2 DNS disabled, port1 connected to Uverse Gateway
(computerC hardwired, computerD hardwired, wifi cams)

Notes:
-- All cabling except the ethernet to the internet in on the Uverse gateway is CAT6.
-- Second E3000 Router is connected via 100ft long CAT6 cable (opposite corner of house)
-- All computers register 1Gbps under LAN status speed
-- All machines have SSD boot drives, and transfers are from SSD to SSD desktop (large movie)

Last edited:
I always run a core switch, then AP's just run as AP's. That's just me though.

Are computer a>b transfers and computer c>d transfers jacked up?

if the PC's are on the same switch (and subnet) and it's gbit you should be fine.

Are computer a>b transfers and computer c>d transfers jacked up?

if the PC's are on the same switch (and subnet) and it's gbit you should be fine.
They all talk fine, I hadn't tested transfer speed between computers on the same router though.

So if I buy the UNMANAGED switch I linked to, I'll have:

V -- AT&T U-Verse Gateway modem/router
V -- Cisco E3000 Router #1 and Router #2
V -- 8 port switch
V -- Four hardwired computers

And that should then give the 40-60MB/s I'm expecting, right? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Depending on how your cables need to be run, you shouldn't need to buy anything.

A-B and C-D transfers should be okay, but anything between E3000-1 and E3000-2 is going to be limited by the interconnect between them, which I would hazard a guess at and say that is only 10/100 (the Uverse ports).

Is it possible in your case to run all four hard-wired computers off the same E3000? I don't know if you have the E3000's right next to each other or one is in one room and the other is in the other, etc.

If you can connect all four to the same E3000, you would then use the modem/WAN port on the E3000 to connect to the Uverse router. You may or may not have to disable the router/firewall on the E3000... I guess that becomes a personal preference.

You can still use that one as a WAP, and then also use the other E3000 as a WAP.

If the two E3000's are split up a bit and it would be too difficult to connect all computers to the same switch, you could always unplug one of the E3000's from the Uverse router and plug that E3000 directly into the other E3000. That way the computers would still be gigabit-connected (though depending on your simultaneous usage, this may be slower than them all on the same switch, but FAR faster than the setup right now..), and they would all have internet access.

Map the route the computers take to talk to each other. If Computer A and Computer B are on separate switches, and they're each connected only to the Gateway, then the travel will probably look something like this | A > E3000(1000mbs) > Gateway(100mbs) > E3000(1000mbs) > B |, which will be limited to 100mbs. Note also that this 100mbs limit is shared between all ports on each E3000.

You could join only one E3000 to the Gateway and have the other E3000 connected to the first, which would then result in a shared 1000mbs connection between both sides of the house.

Edit: Beaten to the punch :)

Alrighty, well with E3000 #2 connected to E3000 #1, performance is awesome again!!!

But my WiFi IP cam motion detect stopped working... ugh.

So I just ran another 100ft cat6 cable I had already wired up to the attic for future expansion directly to the main computer I needed instead, so they'd be on the same E3000 #1, great performance. But my Wifi IP cams still aren't emailing images, even though its right back to how it was! ;)

Well one problem solved, new problem to diagnose. Thanks guys!

Back