Gigabit broadband routers with Jumbo Frame support?

uzor

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I'm finally looking into replacing/consolidating my current network setup (cable modem > bb router > 100mb switch > comps/wap) and need a little advice. If possible, I really wanted to purchase one device to handle all/most of these tasks. The device that looks like it is coming the closest to what I am looking for is the D-Link DGL-4300. The one thing that is keeping me from getting this right now, is that it does not support jumbo frames. See here and here for more info. Now the Asus router in the second reference link there would be a decent wireless-less alternative, but the review makes a point to say that the routing options and interface are outdated, barren, and unfriendly, whereas the routing features on the 4300 are fairly highly regarded.

Question is, then, does anyone know of a gigabit broadband router (wireless pref., but not req'd.) with good routing features and support for jumbo frames? Price range for consideration probably needs to stay under $200.

Thanks.

<$200 for a gigabit router w/ jumbo frames support? Hard. Gigabit switch with jumbo frames + ipcop box w/ Intel PRO1000s under $200? Easier.

So maybe I should ask, or append rather:

"And what would be the next best thing/your implementation?"

And the reason I was hoping this was doable was because the Asus unit mentioned here would be what I'm looking for if the routing features were a bit stronger.

A decent P2, P3 class machine with an average-ish amount of RAM, at least two PCI slots for some highend gigabit NICs (like Intel PRO1000s), and then that hooked up to a switch, gigabit + jumob frames.

movax said:
A decent P2, P3 class machine with an average-ish amount of RAM, at least two PCI slots for some highend gigabit NICs (like Intel PRO1000s), and then that hooked up to a switch, gigabit + jumob frames.

Hell it doesn't even need to be a P2, I had it on a 486 with 16MB RAM for about a year. Worked fine, thouh i'm using an old Compaq Proliant P2-300 right now :p

Do I wonder why you need a router with jumbo frames in the first place? Mostly your dealing with high end web/ managed switches to get jumbo.

Nacho said:
Do I wonder why you need a router with jumbo frames in the first place? Mostly your dealing with high end web/ managed switches to get jumbo.

I was thinking something similar, what's the real purpose of this???

PHUNBALL said:
I was thinking something similar, what's the real purpose of this???

OP: "Ok, so I'm finally looking into replacing/consolidating my current network setup (cable modem > bb router > 100mb switch > comps/wap) ...I really wanted to purchase one device to handle all/most of these tasks."

It sounds like he's just trying to consolidate a bunch of separate devices, into one appliance that does it all....router/built in gig-switch for the LAN, and built in WAP.

Some people just prefer one unit doing it all, rather than 3 or 4 or 5 units in a pile of cables somewhere.

YeOldeStonecat said:
OP: "Ok, so I'm finally looking into replacing/consolidating my current network setup (cable modem > bb router > 100mb switch > comps/wap) ...I really wanted to purchase one device to handle all/most of these tasks."

It sounds like he's just trying to consolidate a bunch of separate devices, into one appliance that does it all....router/built in gig-switch for the LAN, and built in WAP.

Some people just prefer one unit doing it all, rather than 3 or 4 or 5 units in a pile of cables somewhere.

Ah hah, I guess I need to suppress my replies until I have my second cup of coffee...

YeOldeStonecat said:

Exactly....I've done the pile of cables thing for quite a few years now. As far as the jumbo frame support thing goes, if I'm looking at two nearly identical products, and one allows for, essentially, 30% more throughput than the other, why wouldn't I want to choose that faster product? As far as what an I going to be doing that I even care about jumbo frames, aside from the principle of the thing, I'm looking forward to that extra speed boost for managing my recorded TV shows and DVD rip (legit, though...2-year-old + DVD discs = borked media) library as I start consolidating my current media and rolling my HTPC up to full speed. I havent done my gigE purchases yet, so i figured I'd do some research and see what the best implementation would be...and yes, ideally cutting down my net shelf down from 4 or 5 devices down to 1 or 2.

PHUNBALL said:
Ah hah, I guess I need to suppress my replies until I have my second cup of coffee...

Heh, no worries...most of the rest of us suffer from that ourselves. :p <sip>

Nacho said:
Not at all. There are "commodity" switches that support jumbo.

You just have to make sure, primarily, that your client NICs can handle the larger MTU that comes with jumbo frames. There was a list floating around on google, but all Intel NICs seem to easily eat >10K MTUs, whereas your vanilla onboard Realteks can't handle much over 6K.

movax said:
You just have to make sure, primarily, that your client NICs can handle the larger MTU that comes with jumbo frames. There was a list floating around on google, but all Intel NICs seem to easily eat >10K MTUs, whereas your vanilla onboard Realteks can't handle much over 6K.
Yeah, in the looking I have done so far, it sounds like the ones that do support it in the "commodity" market advertise 9k but only do 4k really well. Even sticking to 4k, though, looks to be a sizable improvement transfer wise over not having any.

Just caught this in another thread. Seems like a fairly complete list. I guess that answers my question...modular or DIY for jumbo frames, DGL-4300 for ease and non-clutter.

Back