Gigabit Apartment Setup Help

S4NK

n00b
I recently got ATT fiber to my apartment. However, the modem has to sit on the opposite side of the room from where my computer is.

I want to get the most out of my money with fiber, and currently my ethernet speeds plugged in directly net about 900 Mbps+, while I am lucky to see 150 Mbps on my 5ghz wifi connection with a TPLink AC1750 (the wifi in the area is pretty congested).

My desktop computer has gigabit ethernet -- but I would like to avoid running ethernet across the room. Does anyone have any wireless or point-to-point or other means to get as close to running ethernet to my desktop, without actually running ethernet? :)

I wouldn't mind running ethernet from my desktop to a wireless hub or something similar... but really just looking for the best way to maximize my connection, as most wifi solutions seem to max-out around 400 Mbps in a perfect environment.

Thanks!

https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire
You should check your wifi bands brosef, max output on some bands is 150/300mbps, if you are on AC you can get gigabit, but 5ghz signals travel less distance.

Interesting, did not know that was a thing!

Alternatively, does your apartment have coax jacks near the modem and near your desktop? You could try MoCA since the ATT fiber isn't using the coax. Also, depending on how the aparment phone lines are wired up (I had an apartment where all lines when back to a central wiring cabinet off the kitchen for example), and if they used CAT5 or better you could rewire them for RJ45 jacks and get wired connections :).

https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire
You should check your wifi bands brosef, max output on some bands is 150/300mbps, if you are on AC you can get gigabit, but 5ghz signals travel less distance.

I've got an Archer C7 -- and there is no option in the firmware to select a specific band. I can only select "mixed." I updated the firmware -- but no change there. I have heard of running open-source firmware on a router -- would that be worth the time and effort to get better speeds from my Archer C7, or would I be better of buying a completely different one?

Interesting, did not know that was a thing!

Alternatively, does your apartment have coax jacks near the modem and near your desktop? You could try MoCA since the ATT fiber isn't using the coax. Also, depending on how the aparment phone lines are wired up (I had an apartment where all lines when back to a central wiring cabinet off the kitchen for example), and if they used CAT5 or better you could rewire them for RJ45 jacks and get wired connections :).

No coax. :( No phone lines. :(

10gb infiniband is cheap :)

Ha!

Your only other option is powerline.. But I would try moca first

Powerline might be an option... Will do some research here! Is power-line generally faster than Wifi for short distances? I'm maybe talking 40 feet, with clear line of sight.

Thanks all!

Just to set expectations your never going to see close to your 1Gbit speeds over wireless. I know its ghetto but run a long Ethernet cable from your router to your Desktop location... If you want to do wireless a better dedicated AP will probably be better then your current Wireless setup

I've got an Archer C7 -- and there is no option in the firmware to select a specific band. I can only select "mixed." I updated the firmware -- but no change there. I have heard of running open-source firmware on a router -- would that be worth the time and effort to get better speeds from my Archer C7, or would I be better of buying a completely different one
!
nah, you would be better off buying a seperate AP like a UP-AC-PRO from ubiquiti, which can pump about 1160mbps out the AC channel, or focus on getting a wire over there. No matter what though i think you are looking at 100 bucks, either for some cable, or for a beefy AP, your router can push the packets it needs fine, i wouldnt mess with the open source stuff yet, i mean i could tell you to get a mikrotik $60 router and it would let you control these things, but better to focus on, "Get a better WIFI Access point, or running a long wire, or using a direct ptp wireless solution (that mikrotik))

nah, you would be better off buying a seperate AP like a UP-AC-PRO from ubiquiti, which can pump about 1160mbps out the AC channel, or focus on getting a wire over there. No matter what though i think you are looking at 100 bucks, either for some cable, or for a beefy AP, your router can push the packets it needs fine, i wouldnt mess with the open source stuff yet, i mean i could tell you to get a mikrotik $60 router and it would let you control these things, but better to focus on, "Get a better WIFI Access point, or running a long wire, or using a direct ptp wireless solution (that mikrotik))

So you would recommend connecting a better AP to my modem (one that can pump more through the ac channel) and then using an AC wireless card(?) with my desktop?

though i didnt think to ask, OP might not have an AC enabled wifi adapter in his machine, and that could be why he is stuck on slow speeds. OP if you dont have an AC adapter in the PC, then i would probably start by buying one of those and seeing if your speeds do not increase. If your adapter is AC capable and the router cant pump the packets to you, get better AP that can push the packets, and like wire it somewhere in the middle somewhere. No guarantee youll hit 900+ all the time, but worth a shot. You can always return the AP if you buy from microcenter, just dont mount it and see what happens.

I ended up running a long wire along the white baseboards in our apartment. I then covered it in white gaffer's tape. It turned out really nice! From a distance you can't see it at all and up close you really have to be looking for it to notice.

though i didnt think to ask, OP might not have an AC enabled wifi adapter in his machine, and that could be why he is stuck on slow speeds. OP if you dont have an AC adapter in the PC, then i would probably start by buying one of those and seeing if your speeds do not increase. If your adapter is AC capable and the router cant pump the packets to you, get better AP that can push the packets, and like wire it somewhere in the middle somewhere. No guarantee youll hit 900+ all the time, but worth a shot. You can always return the AP if you buy from microcenter, just dont mount it and see what happens.

Yep, I checked this earlier. I've got an AC enabled wifi adapter... Definitely doing research on APs.

Just do the run. Use low-profile (slim or flat) CAT6A. If your place is carpeted, you should even be able to tuck it in under the baseboard. All you need is a plastic spreader tool.

https://www.amazon.com/kenable-Ethernet-Patch-Profile-GIGABIT/dp/B00HHCCB6U

https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=CAT6 slim&mode=list&length=30ft

Flat cables! This might actually work.... I didn't know flat cables existed.

Thanks all! I will report back with what I end-up doing.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is [H], man up and run CAT6.
Hell, that's the first thing I did in my apartment - run multiple CAT6 lines and speaker wires.

Flat cables work wonders, just find one that matches your baseboard and you are good to go. The cables I used came with little brackets w/ nails already in them. Mounting to the baseboard from the living room to the network stack took maybe 10 minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

$100 for CAT6 cable? Are you kidding me? What type of gold plated cable are you buying? 100ft Cat 6 for < $20, and I doubt 100 feet is needed. Run the cable(s)

Run Cat 6 in some PVC crown molding, and then use wire channel to drop it down to your computer/ router. Either do that, or punch the wall at the top and drop your cable down the wall into a jack. Can do same from baseboard

I was luckily able to fit normal round CAT6 inbetween the carpet and baseboard. Took a little work with a blunt plastic putty knife to wedge it in there but its completely hidden. No way I was going to be comfortable using wireless with my Gigabit FiOS connection. I leave that to my phone and tablets.

$100 for CAT6 cable? Are you kidding me? What type of gold plated cable are you buying? 100ft Cat 6 for < $20, and I doubt 100 feet is needed. Run the cable(s)
i buy bulk cable, good cat6 for 250ft spool can be up to 60 bucks, i just paid 160 for outdoor shielded cat6 (waterproof jacket) i dont buy premade cables, not when i have all the tools necessary to test and terminate my own.

Cable should be cheap and just work. Before going down the route of WiFi, better run a check of the number of APs your neighbors have. Too many and you will probably have crap bandwidth due to competing with possibly 20+ nearby full power APs.

If that modem is one of the AT&T Uverse modems, it likely came with a AT&T subscriber wifi radio in addition to the one the installer setup for your use. And so did all of your neighbors on AT&T service.

I've got an Archer C7 -- and there is no option in the firmware to select a specific band. I can only select "mixed." I updated the firmware -- but no change there. I have heard of running open-source firmware on a router -- would that be worth the time and effort to get better speeds from my Archer C7, or would I be better of buying a completely different one?

No coax. :( No phone lines. :(

Ha!

Powerline might be an option... Will do some research here! Is power-line generally faster than Wifi for short distances? I'm maybe talking 40 feet, with clear line of sight.

Thanks all!

Power line is horrible. Even with the best products out there on the same circuits won't net you over 80Megs a second. (640Mbps)

Only thing left is a very expensive Netgear nighthawk with 802.11ax gaming which uses a bit of the mobile spectrum 50GHz range. But it quickly drops off in range. As you are across the room this shouldn't matter much.

Otherwise you'll have to wait for 10ad or drop some fiber which is easy to hide.

Yep, I checked this earlier. I've got an AC enabled wifi adapter... Definitely doing research on APs.

I should ask to be sure but that ac adapter sits in a pcie slot right?

It should be a 3x3 if possible. And then you can by extension cable sets that allow you to mount the antennas on your desktop. Might be a cheaper way to go if you already have a 3x3 card.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16833320173

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses folks! I learned a ton!

I, ultimately, decided that running a flat cat6 cable would be my best bet... It's cheap, and I was able to hide it with some tape, and under a rug and couch. Clutch. Now I've got those sweet sweet gigabit speeds.

Thanks all!

The 5268AC from Uverse can do 2x2 on the 2.4GHz band(300mbps) and 4x4 on the 5GHz band(1.7gbps)

The BGW210 can do 3x3 on the 2.4GHz(450mbps) and 4x4 on the 5GHz band(1.7gbps)

they can do gigabit over wifi if your adapter can handle it. most cheap usb adapters are 1x1 or 2x2 if you're lucky

Back