Giga4850+ Vistax64 = Intermittent Atixxx.sys BSOD's

newdamage1

Limp Gawd
It looks like quite a few people are having issues with the 4850's, Just wanted to check to see if anyone has seen any tweaks/trick to getting this working (stably) until Ati gets their crap together.

This is a new build:
Antec EW650
EP45-DS3R
Q9450
Gigabyte 4850
4G PC8400
Vista64 (no SP1, as autoupdate refuses to grab it and I'm downloading the 5Lang now)
New Cat8.6+"hotfix"

Problems:
Sporadic BSOD, usually on bootup.
WoW (24b 4xaa) has a little studder when turning, but just for a second, also intermittent, not just in Shat when it's busy.

the hotfix drivers are actually standalone drivers you dont need to install them over the top of the orig 8.6s. you should remove all cat drivers and just install the hotfix ones. you should also install sp1. im running vista x64 with the hotfix drivers and a 4850 and its been nothing but stable for me.

the hotfix drivers are actually standalone drivers you dont need to install them over the top of the orig 8.6s. you should remove all cat drivers and just install the hotfix ones. you should also install sp1. im running vista x64 with the hotfix drivers and a 4850 and its been nothing but stable for me.

Ahh I didn't realize that, I was under the impression that it was a patch, that's what I get for not RTFM'ing. Thanks.

I just returned an HD4850 to newegg, they gave me free return shipping and waived the restocking fee! I'm going to be getting an 8800GTS or a 9800GTX instead.
Excellent service, but I digress. I was getting the ATIKMDAG.SYS BSOD.. There seems to be no fix to it, I've tried the hotfix and all that, nothing but intermittent BSOD's along with random restarts before running windows. When Windows loads the card runs fine... I did have a Sapphire HD4850, ran way too hot, another reason I returned. I'm building this for somebody and they aren't that savvy in computers, so I need something easier to work with.

The odd thing though is I'm looking at everybody's configs who encounter this and see that they have a gigabyte 4 series mobo.

The computer I put the HD4850 into was the follow:
Mobo: EP43-DS3L
RAM: 4gb G.Skill

If you google around.. you'll notice it's for the most part with the P43/P45 chipsets and mostly gigabyte motherboards... worth a thought.. I just hope that nVidia along with the P43/P45 chipsets don't cause problems, then it's something else.

I just returned an HD4850 to newegg, they gave me free return shipping and waived the restocking fee! I'm going to be getting an 8800GTS or a 9800GTX instead.
Excellent service, but I digress. I was getting the ATIKMDAG.SYS BSOD.. There seems to be no fix to it, I've tried the hotfix and all that, nothing but intermittent BSOD's along with random restarts before running windows. When Windows loads the card runs fine... I did have a Sapphire HD4850, ran way too hot, another reason I returned. I'm building this for somebody and they aren't that savvy in computers, so I need something easier to work with.

The odd thing though is I'm looking at everybody's configs who encounter this and see that they have a gigabyte 4 series mobo.

The computer I put the HD4850 into was the follow:
Mobo: EP43-DS3L
RAM: 4gb G.Skill

If you google around.. you'll notice it's for the most part with the P43/P45 chipsets and mostly gigabyte motherboards... worth a thought.. I just hope that nVidia along with the P43/P45 chipsets don't cause problems, then it's something else.

You'll have the same problems with nvidias drivers in Vista, it's not the driver per se but Vista.

here is a 53 page thread on Nvidia doing the same thing in Vista lol
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86550&page=53

What the hell? So.. what am I to do? Also probably the original poster has this? I'm just going over the thread and yeah...

I already have SP1 - it came on the disk. Before I purchase the 8800GTS or 9800GTX - I'm going to test with a x300 and see if the computer works.

If not.. I'll take the loss of building this for free and purchase XP, then sell Vista on eBay or something...

Oh my bad you were talking to the OP. Sorry about that. Bit late here,

What the hell? So.. what am I to do? Also probably the original poster has this? I'm just going over the thread and yeah...

Unfortunately Vista is the problem, its the worst OS ever - think WinME, this is version 2 of Windows ME. I've never had this driver stop error with ATI or NV in Windows XP, ONLY happens in Vista. The only way to fix it 100% - don't use Vista. I dual boot with 2 separate hard drives Vista on one, XP on the other. Vista is just not stable enough to make my 24/7 OS so I bounce back and forth. I dunno if Vista will ever make it to SP2 or SP3, MS plans to push Windows 7 out next year and hopefully remove Vista from the market ASAP.

Just a note for the thread, I was in the middle of SP1'ing my Vista64 install lastnight and it blew up. 0x00000034 or something. I was a little rash and poped in my Vista32 disc and reinstalled without a reboot to see if it was fixable. :mad:

So far no BSOD's or any problems (yet.)

What I did:
Install OS (32), installed drivers, except Video
Installed all SP's from MS.
Then install the hotfix from ATI.

I have a lot going on, as I'm trickling down my old parts to the HTPC and then to the server, etc.. So I only got to play a few rounds in the WoW BG's. But it ran better and no problems yet.

I also went and got the new P4 drivers straight from Intel, they are newer than the ones on the Gigabyte site for you giga owners.

For what it's worth...

I'm running Vista x64 SP1 with a 4850 and it's rock solid. I'm running Catalyst 8.7 ever since I got the card, so the new driver might fix this problem for a lot of you. Where did I get Catalyst 8.7? Don't ask. It'll be released on Monday so just wait till then.

Back