Gibson Shows New Self-Tuning Guitar

HardOCP News

[H] News
Check this out…a new Les Paul from Gibson that can tune itself in two seconds thanks to new technology developed by German company Tronical Gmbh.

For users who purchase the add-on technology, the guitar recognizes pitch. Then, its processor directs motors on its six tuning pegs to tighten or loosen the strings accordingly. Tronical has offered its "Powertune System" online and through retailers in Germany since March, according to the company's Web site.

Lol. You won't see me withing 10 feet of one of those things. Next thing, Gibson will have the guitar that moves your hands on the strings for you. That way you can focus on the things that really matter in music.......getting that cool look with sunglasses, worn out jeans, a tight t-shirt and some over-stylized hair!

It's about time to tell the truth. I always hated tuning and something like this could definitely make my guitar life easier. I know some people will scoff at this because they may think or feel it devalues the eccentricities of guitar playing of tuning as being one of the things that make a musician a musician, but i don't see it that way. I've been playing the guitar since I was 8 and I always hated tuning because I didn't have just the right ear for it.

I can't wait until these auto-tuning guitars will give you the ability to tune to certain music profiles or to actually tune to specific songs.

I've been playing the guitar since I was 8 and I always hated tuning because I didn't have just the right ear for it.

I'm sorry, but I can't see how being a good player and not being able to tune well (or more specifically know when you're out of tune and by how much) could possibly go hand in hand. Tuning isn't just about turning the pegs, it's about being able to bend and vibrato accurately, knowing when the guitar's intonation needs adjusting etc... I don't think I'd play very well if I didn't understand those things and they all go back to tuning at the core.

Nothing wrong with automatic tuners. There's a lot of automation done in music these days like sound filters and computer controlled boards.

If electric guitarist wants to complain about automation, they should stick with box guitars :p

I don't see why everyone hates this.

I'm a guitar, and songs in different tunings (drop D, down 1/2 step, down 1 step, open A, open E, etc.) end up being a pain in the ass to play because I have to stop and tune. While I dislike that they're targeting this to novice players, it's a VERY useful tool for people who gig with only 1 or 2 guitars and have to retune a lot.

And in related news....

Thousands of unemployed Guitar Techs sign up for unemployment benefits.

Umm...

There have been digital tuners since I was born.

You pluck the string, the digital tuner registers the octave and then you tune the string until the meter reads properly.

Now the guitar does it for you.

Big deal.

KISS Keep it Simple Stupid

It's just another thing to break on a guitar.
If you don't have the ear to tune your guitar on your own without a tuner, then you probably aren't a serious guitar player anyways.

So this thing will be perfect for the average picker.

For any real guitar aficionado this is just another thing to roll one's eyes at.

I think this would be awesome for a guitarist who actually does gigs...imagine being able to change the tuning quickly, easily and perfectly between songs without having to haul around another pedal/cable combo. This is very important for some bands, who would need 2 to three guitars tuned to different tunings to do a gig or have that 20 seconds of dead silence as the guy re-tunes his stuff...less stuff to take with you, and less stuff to buy...it's a win/win situation.

While I dislike that they're targeting this to novice players...
I don't really see this as something within the average novice's budget.

The Les Paul Silverburst model is to cost about $2,780 in Japan and $2,499 in the U.S., with self-tuning offered for $900 extra.

Powertune is also listed online for 899 euros, about $600, and Tronical says it can be installed on many different models of electric guitars without leaving a mark.
Their currency rate is way off. I'm seeing 899.00 EUR = 1,318.33 USD.

I think I've save the $3500 dollars and just put-up with manually tuning my Charvel model 6 like I have been for the last 20 years.

Cool tech yes, but hardly within the budget of the novice.

Well, Race car drivers don't tune their own cars :)

That said, I'd just as soon tune it myself, and have them put the money into the quality of the instrument instead. And Gibson REALLY needs to do that.

I'm sorry, but I can't see how being a good player and not being able to tune well (or more specifically know when you're out of tune and by how much) could possibly go hand in hand. Tuning isn't just about turning the pegs, it's about being able to bend and vibrato accurately, knowing when the guitar's intonation needs adjusting etc... I don't think I'd play very well if I didn't understand those things and they all go back to tuning at the core.

I'm sitting here looking at the iAXE electric Guitar I bough a few months ago, to learn how to play (USB/Headphone for Apt living) and thinking how neat that would be.

The price though needs about 5-6 y of work/development to were I could even THINK about it.

BTWY: Still have not touched it yet, does anyone know of a good teaching program that allows for inputs (so it can show where you are off?)
That is what I thought was in the package.

Absolutely a guitar Newbie here

I don't really see this as something within the average novice's budget.

Their currency rate is way off. I'm seeing 899.00 EUR = 1,318.33 USD.

I remember seeing this on Digg a couple months ago, and their press release said that it was targeted towards novice players, though I agree it's obviously out of the budget of the average novice.

I'm sitting here looking at the iAXE electric Guitar I bough a few months ago, to learn how to play (USB/Headphone for Apt living) and thinking how neat that would be.

The price though needs about 5-6 y of work/development to were I could even THINK about it.

BTWY: Still have not touched it yet, does anyone know of a good teaching program that allows for inputs (so it can show where you are off?)
That is what I thought was in the package.

Absolutely a guitar Newbie here

Just hit up guitar center and get a normal how-to play DVD/book set and go with it. It's more important to learn the notes than it is to match a song at this point in your learning.

If you lack a guitar amp (not familiar with the iAxe), hit up ebay for a used pignose portable (new they are about $75)...they aren't metal monsters, but they offer a pleasing sound, battery powered (for those days when you spend all day on the can...might as well get some practice in)....and are really just kickass units.

Dangit, can't edit.....well now I see the iAxe plays through the PC, so you already have an amp of sorts....just stick with that, play on the clean channel (so you can easily hear when your technique is off, etc)...that way you learn to develop your own tone, that's what separates a good player from a great one. Don't worry about gear, matching the sound of player_x or any of that stuff, just play.

Wonder how the electronics handle it when you break a string? Is there are CTRL ALT DEL when you get a BSOD with no screen? :D

Since there is a pickup system of some kind in effect (maybe one of those piezo tune-o-matic bridges?), I'd assume it would detect the lack of vibration from that string and stop tuning that string.

Who cares about any of this stuff when we have "Guitar Hero" to make us all PROS! :D

Just kidding, neat piece of equipment though. Will stick with my ears for the time being.

Lol. You won't see me withing 10 feet of one of those things. Next thing, Gibson will have the guitar that moves your hands on the strings for you. That way you can focus on the things that really matter in music.......getting that cool look with sunglasses, worn out jeans, a tight t-shirt and some over-stylized hair!
Or you can focus on things that really matter in music........

..... Like playing it.

You treat learning how to tune like it's some cool thing. Like tuning your guitar is paying your proper dues to the guitar gods.

Lame. I'm damn happy when I find my guitar is still in tune when I pick it up. I sure as hell wouldn't mind discovering that every day.

Or you can focus on things that really matter in music........

..... Like playing it.

You treat learning how to tune like it's some cool thing. Like tuning your guitar is paying your proper dues to the guitar gods.

Lame. I'm damn happy when I find my guitar is still in tune when I pick it up. I sure as hell wouldn't mind discovering that every day.

Yep. I hope you realize I was being sarcastic ;)

Funny thing is, tuning isn't hard if you take the time to do it right and actually listen to the guitar. People good at tuning realize that almost no guitar has absolutely perfect intonation across the whole fretboard. So unless you have Eddie Van Halen's guitar tech setting up your guitar for you every few days, you're not always going to be spot on. So you tune accordingly--not necessarily tuning by open strings. I stopped using hand tuners years ago, unless I was trying to get exact measurements for doing intonation adjustments.

IMO every guitar has it's own personality, and you just gotta learn to tune it how it likes to be tuned. Been that way with every one I've ever touched. And every so often, adjusting the intonation will give you a lot more consistent results for your tuning efforts.

Back