Gibabyte DS3 - Slow POST

RadXge

2[H]4U
I built this PC one month ago and everything was stable. My problem first started when Windows Explorer stops responding earlier today. I kept having the following problem since then:
0) I start the PC
1) PC beeps
2) CPU is correctly detected. The POST screen displays my CPU and its characteristics.
3) Now, the POST freezes for 15 seconds at the memory detection step. Usually, I should see "Memory runs in Dual Channel" or something like that but the POST screen displays the incomplete word "Memor". This is abnormal.
4) My hard-drives and DVD are detected correctly without any lag.
5) The PCI Devices listing is displayed as expected.
6) A black screen is displayed for 30 seconds. This is abnormal.
7) Windows XP screen appear with the progress bar
8) Another black screen is displayed but it takes 2 minutes to disappear. This is abnormal.
9) The Windows welcome screen finally appears (blue background). It stays like that for 30 seconds . This is abnormal.
10) My wallpaper is displayed for 2 minutes. I have to wait because everything is frozen.
This is abnormal.
11) Windows has finally finished loading.
12) Oddly, Windows XP seems to run well. I can load any program without any lag. This is weird because I would expect Windows to be slow!!!

Those are the steps I have taken so far (without any success):
1) I reset and cleared the CMOS. My E6600 is usually set at 3.2GH (8*400) but now it is running at stock speed.
2) I have 2 sticks of OCZ DDR2-800. I removed each stick one by one and I moved the stick to different slots. I tried every possible combination.
3) Unplug all the unnecessary hardwares (sound card, second HD, DVD) and keep only one ram
4) Unplug the master HD: PC still freeze at the memory detection step.
5) I ran MemTest with one of the stick and no error was found.
6) I ran Othos without any issue.
7) My temps are all great!

I do not think the problem is with the Power supply.
Also, I doubt that the problem is with the master hard drive.
The memory could be culprit but how come MemTest is successful?
The CPU should be fine since I doubt that I would be able to run Windows with a deffective CPU.
My theory is that there is some kind of hardware failure with the motherboard.
Note that I did not change any BIOS settings nor added hardware before the problem first occurred.

Any suggestion?

BTW, All my drives (2 HD + DVD) are SATA.
My specs are listed in my sig.

Why did you run memtest with only one stick (if you have two)? If it delays during memory detectiion, it could very well be a memory problem. Try new memory.

I have two sticks but I physically removed one for testing.
I still have the post problem with one of any of my memory stick.
Anyway, I tried the sticks at work and they work flawlessly.

The culprit is either the motherboard or the CPU.
I have also an E6400 and I will install it in my PC. This should confirm which piece of hardware is defective.

i bet its the processor, i remember a question on the a+ test, it was like what is wrong with your computer when it freezes during the ram count, and the answer was its the processor

Hm. I've been having similar problems, but I think it's my hard drive. Recently it hasn't taken as long as a couple weeks ago (20 mins+), now it's down to about 3 or 4. The only other problem I have is loading Steam which lags but when in ANY game I have no lag.

i bet its the processor, i remember a question on the a+ test, it was like what is wrong with your computer when it freezes during the ram count, and the answer was its the processor

Thanks for the answer.
The PC only freezes for 10-15 seconds and I tested ORTHOS for 30 mins and it ran without issue. But it is possible that the CPU is slightly damaged.

Hm. I've been having similar problems, but I think it's my hard drive. Recently it hasn't taken as long as a couple weeks ago (20 mins+), now it's down to about 3 or 4. The only other problem I have is loading Steam which lags but when in ANY game I have no lag.
This does not explain why the PC temporarily freezes during the ram count without ANY Hard-drives nor DVD connected (I have unplugged everything except CPU + 1 RAM + video card).
Scandisk has not detected any errors with the main hard disk.

I have borrowed from work a stick of DDR2 and I still get the problem.
I am convinced that the problem lies with the CPU or the motherboard.
I should be able to test a different CPU tomorrow.

In the meantime, any comments would be welcome!

Dump the board. There's nothing wrong with your CPU.

I remember when I had similar problems. I overclocked my E6300 to 3.4Ghz, it wasn't stable so I backed it back to 2.8Ghz. Since then, Windows would take much longer to load once it got to the "Welcome" screen. I even backed it back to 1.8Ghz, still the same. Then my DS3 died and I RMAed it and got a new one. Windows boot like normal now.

FYI, I am still having problems with this stupid board. The DS3 is a great board but the problems it has is NOT worth the overclock capabilities.

SentToSchool, you are right!
I have tested a different CPU (E6400) and I still get the same problem.

There is no more doubt in my mind, the defective hardware is the motherboard.

BTW, how is NCIX RMA process?
I live in Montreal and I hope to get a replacement unit before the end of the next week.

I have heard that the onboard LAN adapter causes a conflict with the board. Try disabling it and see what happens.

NCIX has sent me a replacement board and I should get it tomorrow thanks to air shipping.:D

They provide cross-shipping when you are ready to pay up front for the replacement unit.
Of course, NCIX will reimburse me when they will get the defective unit.:cool:

Also, I am a VIP member and the shipping of the defective unit was free...:)

I also bought the Thermalright XP-120 Extreme cooler. I can't wait to see the temps improvement over my Zalman 9500.

I just installed the replacing unit and everything works!!! :D
Let's hope that its continues this way...
Kudos to NCIX. I received my new MB in less than 24 hours.
NCIX is easily the best computer e-seller in Canada.

BTW, Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme cooler seems to be a great cooler but I think have a compatibility problem.:mad: There is a smalll contact between the Thermaltake Armor 25cm side fan and the ULTRA-120. Man, I wonder how many cases are compatible if the Armor is too small! Note there would be no contact if the side fan size would be 12cm...

Back