Ghosting Windows?

DeadlyAura

Supreme [H]ardness
I am having a problem with a laptop where it is not detecting the Wireless Lan card. I insert the card into another laptop without issue but htis one doesn't want to pick it up.

I am trying to figure out wheter or not its Window's or the PCI mini slot. Someone told me to ghost Windows to avoid a reformat.

How whould one go about doing this? Thanks.

Not sure about the wireless card problem your having i but can't see how making a ghost of the laptop would help resolve it.

Ghosting is creating a backup "image" of everything on your hard drive. So that if something were to happen to your current set up (virus, registry blunder, accidental reformat etc), you could just "ghost" your previous image onto your hard drive.

Norton Ghost and Acronis true image are the only programs i know of. Personally prefer norton ghost.

Ghost isn't going to help in this case, unfortunately. If you can't figure out the problem, and you don't think it's a hardware issue, hen a reformat is what you want to do.

Well, if I ghost it, I can do a windows reinstall without losing my data correct? If it doesn't solve my problem then I can resor the ghost.

Is this correct?

If you ghost the machine that isn't working, you will make a clone of the drive as it is right now. If you ghost the drive back it will be right back as it was. So if it is a software problem this will not help you solve the issue.

Now, what you should do, is back up your data (USB Hard drive, burn CDS of your file, etc). You don't want a back up of Windows, you want to back up only the files that you have created (Documents, Spreadsheets, music, Saved Games, pictures, etc). Then rebuild the laptop OS from scratch. Reload Windows, all Service Packs and patches, drivers, etc. Then install your applications.

By rebuilding the machine you will get rid of any software issues you were having due to conflicts, old software hanging out that you don't use, spyware, viri, etc.

I guess you could always ghost the drive to another drive or CD, then rebuild the laptop, then see if the card works. If it does, you don't bring back your old install of the drive. If it doesn't work you know it is hardware, and you can put back the drive the way it was.

Back