Ghosting to a DVD?

The Chosen One

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, just a quick question that im pretty sure i know the answer to, but just want to confirm before i jump in and do it...

You can make a Ghost image of a HDD and burn it to a DVD, then when you re-format, you can load it back onto the HDD straight from the DVD without doing any reinstalling can't you? Like, you can load Ghost from a boot disc and restore the image direct from DVD? I know you can do it from another HDD, but i just wanted to make sure the same was possible from a DVD as i havent used Ghost in ages.

Thanks in advance guys,

sry, noobie crossing.

How is that any different than recreating all the exact same folders on your backup DVD and manually copying all of the files on your HDD over to it? Wouldn't this also be an exact copy of your HDD?

If so, then ghosting should be a fairly straight forward and simple process.

cos Ghost also compresses the files, and from memory you can boot the comp from the Ghost disc and just hit Restore or something, and walk away. Id need to install windows to copy all the files back from teh DVD (assuming using XP).

GVX said:
sry, noobie crossing.

How is that any different than recreating all the exact same folders on your backup DVD and manually copying all of the files on your HDD over to it? Wouldn't this also be an exact copy of your HDD?

If so, then ghosting should be a fairly straight forward and simple process.

No - beause you dont get the registry files or any files in use - and no registry = no windows :)

Ghost gets everything!

Back