ghosting an O/S partition...

Jason711

Supreme [H]ardness
from pata to sata... will the O/S care if i dont have the sata driver installed? my rma will return soon and i am not going to do another install if i dont have to.

Norton's Ghost is a favorite way to do it. You need the program, of course. It comes in SystemworksPro, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Here is a good link on using it.
http://ghost.radified.com/

Want a TOTALLY easy way to do it? If you are using WinXP, use the built in back up feature.

Back up everything using the WinXP tool. The file will be large, mine was / is 19GB. Save that file.

Install new master hard drive, slave the old hard drive. Do a fresh WinXP install.

As soon as the new OS is installed, go back into the system back up tool...point it towards your backup file and it will now reinstall you old OS...right down to the files you left on your desktop. No other tools needed. :)

mosin said:
Norton's Ghost is a favorite way to do it. You need the program, of course. It comes in SystemworksPro, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Here is a good link on using it.
http://ghost.radified.com/

i was planning on using a util that came with the ultimate boot cd. my concern is if i do ghost that do the sata drive if it will even boot.

Steve said:
Want a TOTALLY easy way to do it? If you are using WinXP, use the built in back up feature.

Back up everything using the WinXP tool. The file will be large, mine was / is 19GB. Save that file.

Install new master hard drive, slave the old hard drive. Do a fresh WinXP install.

As soon as the new OS is installed, go back into the system back up tool...point it towards your backup file and it will now reinstall you old OS...right down to the files you left on your desktop. No other tools needed. :)

im really trying to get around doing another install... going that route i may aswell just keep the fresh install.

interesting method though, for sure.

ghost will use SATA just fine...however, windows will not work if there are no drivers for it.

if you install the drivers before switching HDDs, will windows know well enought to use them for booting?

ameoba said:
if you install the drivers before switching HDDs, will windows know well enought to use them for booting?

ive been wondering that myself... :confused:

1.) Install drive into current system
2.) Make sure windows enumerates it, i.e. it shows up in Disk Management
It can have a drive letter or not, doesn't matter either way.
3.) Ghost it

I do this sort of thing between SCSI and pATA drives periodically at work. Once windows sees a drive, it has what it needs to boot off of it. Even when the pATA is on an add-in controller that windows needs 3rd party drivers to see, the above steps work flawlessly.

Hope that helps.

Ubyr said:
1.) Install drive into current system
2.) Make sure windows enumerates it, i.e. it shows up in Disk Management
It can have a drive letter or not, doesn't matter either way.
3.) Ghost it

I do this sort of thing between SCSI and pATA drives periodically at work. Once windows sees a drive, it has what it needs to boot off of it. Even when the pATA is on an add-in controller that windows needs 3rd party drivers to see, the above steps work flawlessly.

Hope that helps.
Was about to say just about the same thing. I've done that in reverse before when I didn't have a floppy drive to load SATA/SCSI drivers, so I installed to a IDE drive and ghosted to the other. Works like a charm

ameoba said:

It "should" work...at least on Intel chipset boards. XP even has built in drivers for the SATA ports in non-RAID modes.

Back