Ghost In The Shell Official Trailer

I just thought of a good way to solve the issue of her being white with a simple throw-away line: just say her body was made by the Americans. Problem solved. Of course then they would throw in a joke asking why she's not blonde with huge boobs, but you know...

Going to watch it regardless. I normally hate remakes but I want to see how they do this live action.

I just thought of a good way to solve the issue of her being white with a simple throw-away line: just say her body was made by the Americans. Problem solved. Of course then they would throw in a joke asking why she's not blonde with huge boobs, but you know...
Are you implying America is a white country? *triggering intensifies*

They could argue she got another body in order to stay undercover, but a caucasian body sticks out in Japan. A generic mixed body type would blend in better, but one of mixed asian ancestry, not the Jewish/Nordic-caucasian mix of Johansson. Something like Kristen Kreuk (half white/asian).

But one of the reasons for picking a Japanese actress is that she's likely to be more familiar with Japanese mannerisms. Japanese women don't show as much facial expression in public for example, and particularly not the Major, which will be hard for a Westerner to reproduce without forcing a resting bitch-face.

Scarlett Johansson isn't even Japnese she is still a looker though.....

Only with lots of makeup and nice lighting. It's all smoke and mirrors. And the movie looks boring too.

Scarlett-Johansson:-Without-makeup-for-Vanity-Fair-2014-01-720x889.jpg

The Tom Cruise teeth always bothers the hell out of me. You know where all the teeth are shifted over, so that they have a tooth centered in their face. I'm not super picky, but facial symmetry is a #1 issue for me.

enhanced-buzz-32493-1366924066-0.jpg

Just watched it again... looks PG-13 to me by todays standards.

Remember, Robocop remake, the Expendables 3, World War Z, and Dark Knight were all PG-13.
Yeah but those movies had pretty tame violence. There weren't gobs of red corn syrup flying out the backs of peoples shirts when they got shot. Hell the "directors cut R rated" version of WWZ was just an extra 2 seconds of that soldier getting her arm amputated.

They don't seem to mind gun violence lately, but sex is different, and the lack of nipples tells me PG-13
I imagine the lack of nipples has more to do with SJ just not doing nudity in that kind of light. I think there's some prostitute serial killer movie she did recently where she shows a little boob, but by and large she's too A-list to do the kind of nudity this movie expects given her "suit". So now they can properly show off the cloaking skin she has without regards to her sensitivity towards full frontal nudity and have a lot of interesting action scenes.

And while gun violence itself is totally fine in PG-13 movies, the biggest difference is if they show blood or not. I mean Die Hard levels of blood, spray, mist, blobs of is slinging from a hole in their shirt. None of those movies you mentioned show any of that at all. At best you might see a puff of smoke from a squib going off on some guys body from a distance that shows no detail.

As a long time GITS fan I am actually pretty excited, I got exposed to the series in the early 90s when I was young, every time I go back and watch the movies and shows over again I get something more from it. Also one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

I am ok with the casting, more thrown off by the voice than her appearance. Everyone talking about her being white does not bother me at all, if you knew the series you should not have a problem. Yes the Major's name and family heritage MAY be of Japanese decent, so her brain may be Japanese of that's even a thing... But in the world this is set "she" is a cyborg, and can have pretty much any body style she wants, in the series she actually changes bodies multiple time, at one point it is even debated why she chose a female model. So the major could be in a black dude model for all I care.

Its sad that they had to PG the film a little but to be able to play it in the US they likely have to tone it down "for the children" but its amazing we are at least getting this much. From what I see they are at least following some of the source material.

This material was so far ahead of its time and is even more relevant today than it was 20+ years ago. There is such a deep physiological, philosophical, political, and spiritual undertone in the movie that makes you contemplate the definitions and understanding of life, self and the role technology play in our lives. I hope that is not lost in the new movie but most of the zombie public can't give a thought to that. That's why you see so comments about "shes hot" "where are the nipples" "she's not Asian"

My main concern was the director, but he may be able to redeem himself.

And the future you see in the original film had a ton of style influence from Hong Kong (Kowloon Walled City, RIP) and he modern series reflects the Kobe Japan area.

I'm off to Japan and Hong Kong to get some more first person perspective!

To get an idea of just how amazing and revolutionary this film actually is

Last edited:
Needed to be asian actors. I mean come the fuck on... And does she have to be practically naked for every fight?
The Major doesn't need to look asian, her exterior is fully synthetic. She's essentially a robocop with only scraps of organic material left, and her bodies are purpose-built. As for the lack of clothing, as her body is her weapon and fully artificial, she has little reason to encumber herself with additional stuff in battle. As her body also has the cloaking effect, wearing additional clothing would sort of ruin that.

Batou did look kinda.. Keifer Sutherland in Lost Boys? It also looks like he has normal eyes in one scene, I hope we don't get some dopey origin story for his cybernetics wasting screen time. It looks like they are going to make the organization that built her be the bad guys or something, how completely new and original. I'm anxious for this movie tho.

Needed to be asian actors. I mean come the fuck on... And does she have to be practically naked for every fight?
Yes. If they are going to be true to the original source material, then yes she needs to be nearly naked. A skin tight flesh colored body suit is about as close as we're going to get without an X rating.

The major was a weapon. She knew it and used it to her advantage. In her original movie body, her optical camouflage was still in development and was embedded in her skin. They hadn't developed clothing that could be loose fitting and still pull off the effect. This required her to be naked to use it. The Major understood this, and exploited it. If a naked incredibly sexy woman pops up in front of you out of nowhere, what do you do? You die, because she already put a bullet in your skull when you were too busy gawking at her tits.

Later on in the TV shows, they improved upon the camo so she and her fellow troops could wear body armor too, but quite often she would still wear skimpy clothing to exploit this shock factor upon her victims.

The other reason she needs to be naked...well they have to sell this movie somehow.

Having been a fan of the show, I'm surprised they pulled quite a few scenes straight from the first movie as well as the first season of Stand Alone Complex. The Geisha's were in episode 1 IIRC. I'm also surprised they brought in the lesbianism.

For those of you that haven't seen the original, you absolutely MUST SEE IT. The other animated movies in the series aren't as good but fill in some of her story arc. The TV series Stand Alone Complex is also amazing. The show was WAY before it's time, and there is a lot about technology, the internet, cybernetics, and especially the politics that surround this stuff that this show has predicted and is slowly coming true in reality.

Off putting music, slow mo, and actress. Think I am gonna pass.
Seriously? Well you should avoid every movie that's come out in the last 10 years. Nearly every move nowadays has slow motion scenes. The music is more than likely trailer only and the movie will have something more close to the original soundtrack. If you don't like SJ well that's your call. Anyone who knows the source material will at least appreciate the work they put in to keep it close to home. I don't really care what the general public thinks or anyone that doesn't have any exposure to the series. It's like someone off the street walking up to the Mona Lisa and saying they don't like it because she has a stupid smile

Last edited:
How about we don't talk about it at all? There is no problem to be solved, only racist bigots see a problem where none exists.

How about we don't talk about it at all? There is no problem to be solved, only racist bigots see a problem where none exists.

Well the initial problem is Scarlett Johansson being a not so good representation of the Major. Primarily that she looks nothing like the Major (Japanese woman) and doesn't really act like the Major either, at least from what is seen in the trailers.

Unfortunately 20 years too late (most of it has been regurgitated in some way or another) and I bet 98% of it was shot in a green room 30ft by 40ft.

Must have been a hard slog for the actors making that. Making green screen room movies is not fun.

They should have used the music from the original movie intro. Redo the rest of the score, but the intro theme music was excellent. I liked the first movie, thought the second was too abstract and not very grounded. Tried to watch the new series but it has fallen victim to modern cliche anime. It was unwatchable for me.

Back to the trailer, looks like a lot of action scenes inspired by the original movie. My understanding is it will not be about the Puppet Master, so it will be interesting to see how they change the plot to suit the scenes. Seems like it can be decent enough.

Scarlett Johansson isn't even Japnese she is still a looker though.....
The character in the movie looked nothing like a jpn person though. These animes are filled with aryan women with big eyes. Who then say they are asian by the creators. This movie is doing the same thing.

I'll watch it, but definitely not in theatres. I feel I probably won't like it either, considering I don't even like the trailers. I feel like I'm watching a mashup of Aeon Flux with Matrix and Equilibrium. Where Aeon Flux had the completely wrong actress for the role and also it was a sucky movie, while the other 2 were good movies. Guess time will tell, but I feel this movie is going to bomb. Just cause that's the way anime turned live-action has been.

Scarlett Johansson and her magically resizing bewbs. I know she's lost weight but jesus christ she's virtually flat chested now compared to what she was a few years ago.

As a fan of the anime, I'm going to give this a chance before I bag on it. So far, I'm pretty okay with what I've seen. The visuals / direction / production have a creepy vibe that I'm really digging.

While I enjoyed the original movie well enough, I think Ghost in the Shell is the most over rated flick since Akira. I will most likely see this in the theatre. I expect this movie could be one of those that's potentially well received by fans and ridiculed by critics who don't understand what this film is or what it is about. Either that or it will be terribly unwatchable. (Like Hitman: Agent 47 unwatchable.) Things like this generally go one of two ways on very far ends of the spectrum.

The second one. The first one is slow in places but I wouldn't call it unwatchable. The second one is closer to the source material but its ridiculously bad.

She is a beautiful woman, but I really don't like the costume (OK, most likely CGI generated). Yes she is a woman, yes she is beautiful, but no, I don't need to see every computer generated curve of an unrealistic CGI body.

This is the kind of stuff that just gives the feminists the excuse they need are looking for to throw shit at us guys.

Her body is so perfect that they didn't need to create a CGI body.

theyve kinda got it as good as its gonna get visualy to gits. i will prolly enjoy it none the less but it may turn out like Natrual City kinda thin on plot

but gits manga, anime series and ova etc heavily feature deep thought provoking religious/spritialist narrative this aspect will prolly not make it into the live action movie.
live action film that got close to the themes of gits is Mamoru Oshii's brilliant film Avolon http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267287/
Shirow should have had full control of the script with Oshi directing

While I enjoyed the original movie well enough, I think Ghost in the Shell is the most over rated flick since Akira. I will most likely see this in the theatre. I expect this movie could be one of those that's potentially well received by fans and ridiculed by critics who don't understand what this film is or what it is about. Either that or it will be terribly unwatchable. (Like Hitman: Agent 47 unwatchable.) Things like this generally go one of two ways on very far ends of the spectrum.

I strongly disagree. The themes and ideas explored in GITS is extremely relevant, as it asks questions not asked in any other medium, other than books. AI will be a reality, it's only a matter of time. We are also fairly close to mind machine interfaces. GITS explores what that might mean, and to me that makes it more than just relevant, it's groundbreaking.

Of course, you are free to disagree with me, but you'd still be wrong! ^-^ (Just kidding, your opinion is just as valid as anybodies).

I strongly disagree. The themes and ideas explored in GITS is extremely relevant, as it asks questions not asked in any other medium, other than books. AI will be a reality, it's only a matter of time. We are also fairly close to mind machine interfaces. GITS explores what that might mean, and to me that makes it more than just relevant, it's groundbreaking.

Of course, you are free to disagree with me, but you'd still be wrong! ^-^ (Just kidding, your opinion is just as valid as anybodies).

My belief that the film is overrated has nothing to do with the relevance of the subjects explored in that film. In terms of the film as entertainment, I think its overrated. Many people act like it or Akira are the greatest animated films of all time. Again, I strongly disagree despite having enjoyed the movie.

When I first heard they were making a live action GitS, I was worried, like most everyone. Then they came out and said SJ was going to be the major, and I lost hope, just figuring the movie was going to be complete shit. However, the trailer looked pretty good and I will most likely go see this when it comes out. I enjoyed the movie and series work, (and Akira as well Dan), and I think the trailer showed decent visuals of what the anime could not at the time. As far as the casting/whitewashing, I would argue that several of the anime that I have watched, series and/or movies, most of the characters are ambiguous at best unless they have a specific country of origin "sounding" name. Just because a show is an anime, is subbed and comes with the correct Japanese soundtrack, does not necessarily make the characters Japanese....

My belief that the film is overrated has nothing to do with the relevance of the subjects explored in that film. In terms of the film as entertainment, I think its overrated. Many people act like it or Akira are the greatest animated films of all time. Again, I strongly disagree despite having enjoyed the movie.

Gotcha. Your original post had me thinking that you thought of the entire premise to me "overrated." Glad to see that you agree that the relevance of the topics explored in the film are important. At least i hope i am right in reading that into your post.

GATTACCA is another film i think everyone should watch, not because it's a particularly good film, IMHO, but because of the ideas it explores.

In my opinion, that is kind of what sci-fi is supposed to do, question how science and technology are going to effect us as people.

When I first heard they were making a live action GitS, I was worried, like most everyone. Then they came out and said SJ was going to be the major, and I lost hope, just figuring the movie was going to be complete shit. However, the trailer looked pretty good and I will most likely go see this when it comes out. I enjoyed the movie and series work, (and Akira as well Dan), and I think the trailer showed decent visuals of what the anime could not at the time. As far as the casting/whitewashing, I would argue that several of the anime that I have watched, series and/or movies, most of the characters are ambiguous at best unless they have a specific country of origin "sounding" name. Just because a show is an anime, is subbed and comes with the correct Japanese soundtrack, does not necessarily make the characters Japanese....

Both Akira and GITS have very strong following, and while I like both, I really like the Appleseed series better. Then again you could argue all three share a lot of similarities

The anime that really got me into anime/manga was Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG. I would stay up late on Saturday nights to watch it on Adult Swim. Ghost in the Shell would always be special to me, for that reason and for introducing me to that genre.

Back