Ghost imaging performance

crispyb

Magical Crispyness
I recently changed the way we do imaging with my company. Before I used to use a Desktop with Win2K pro and share out the image drive. Then boot up another PC with a network bootdisk to map to the drive and image. This worked really well, but data tolerance remained to be an issue.

I purchased a Lacie 1TB Ethernet Disk RAID and thought it would be remarkable upgrade. I don't know if this is a piece of crap, but this is slow as hell. I have set it up with RAID 5, but imaging is slower than my previous setup(both Gigabit connections). I'm ready to return this crap for a different NAS, but was wondering if anyone can help with increasing the performance or recommend another NAS.

there are know speed issues with those nas devices, a lot of them have really crappy network throughput. You would prob be better off building your own nas server.

thanks axan. I was doing a lot of research on the crappy NAS and that's only conclusion I can come to. I'm actually thinking of buying a raid controller, individual hard drives, and slapping them into a desktop. Sorta like a cheap cheap file server.

Back