Ghetto Mods

CBR

I Show Old Ladies My Dick Wrappers
Some of us cram them into closets never to be seen again, others deny their existence, but there is something we've all got, ghetto mods. When there just isn't the time to pull the tools out and create a master piece of engineering, or when you dont have the tools at all, you're forced to create something ghetto fabulous. Post pics of your ghetto mods. I'm sure you've all got one or two lying around, post pics here.

I'll go first. The beginning of summer meant increased time on my pc, so I knew the heat would rise, and being in the desert with 100+ temps all summer I knew that would make the temps rise even further. I've got a 600MHz Celeron, a case with no fans, a cheap mother, and no tools. So what did I do to ensure the safety of my computer from heat? I built a fan adapter. The stock fan on a 370 socket is just a small 50mm fan, I upped it to a 80mm Panaflow from an old computer. Old fan had 17cfm, 80mm fan pushes out 36cfm. Not a bad increase. Also had to get rid of the factory AC that had been on there since the day I bought the computer, 5 years ago. Before all the changes my computer ran about 56C load with the side panel off and a box fan blowing in. Now with the side panel on with no fan, just the one on the heat sink, it runs about 49C under load. Before changes, 47C idle with side panel off and box fan blowing in. Now it runs anywhere from 39-42C idle with sidle panel on with no fan. What did I use to create the adapter? Since I had no tools I was forced to go back to my childhood and use k'nex. Now without further a'do pics. Since these pics were taken I've redesigned it for more airflow. Note, my case has no fans and I cant mod any into it. There are 3 fans in all my system, CPU, GPU, and PSU. That wide gap next to the socket is where the PSU sits. Its really a tight fit. Anyone who says I need some cable management gets castrated.;) There is NO room for it.

http://kaosu.multigl.net/epic/Ben's Heatsink/

Ghetto? I think so. :p

Post pics of your own so I dont feel like a complete idiot. :D

You probably blocked off so much airflow with the K'Nex there that you didn't get the results you should have. That, and it looks like your thermal paste stuff expired a few years ago. Replace that, cut away some excess of the K'Nex and then get back with us.

ness1469 said:
You probably blocked off so much airflow with the K'Nex there that you didn't get the results you should have. That, and it looks like your thermal paste stuff expired a few years ago. Replace that, cut away some excess of the K'Nex and then get back with us.

I realised the blockage of airflow soon after running it for a while. I've since redesigned it so that there is a very little to no airflow blocked. The thermal paste that you see in the pics is old, its the original layer from the factory. About 5 minutes after the laughter had subsided when I showed it to a friend the heatsink was cleaned off and a new layer applied.

KoZLop said:
Nice idea, Now i know away to fix broken cpu clip holders. :)

Thats the result of hours of boredom and necessity. I've really wanted to cut into my case as its the ugliest case I've seen, premods aside. But Considering this is a family computer and my mom is rather particular and she does not trust my skills as a handy man, so modding it at the moment is not an option.

Anyone else have a ghetto mod they'd like to show off? Come on, save my dignity...please. :(

I've have two of my very own ghetto mods:

This one is my ghetto CPU HSF duct I made for a friend. 80mm panaflow sucking from outside case and blowing right into the HSF. Works like a dream and since the case doesn't have a window you don't know it's ghetto. :)
SidepanelintakeghettoductmodMedium.jpg

This is my other ghetto mod that I'm quite proud of. The fan on my GPU died so I rummaged through my ever-growing pile of pc crap and found an unused intel retail HSF from a 2.8 prescott. I tore the fan off the HSF and zip-tied the mofo to my card. It is awesome. I can OC my card to the maximum settings available in powerstrip now.
Guts03Small.jpg

Well, those are my current ghetto mods. Hope you all enjoyed them as much as I did. :D
Cap'n

This isnt Poatree, this asstacular mod belongs to his friend:

Last year while attending university, I underwent a project to build a server at the utmost minimum cost. The result was the ghetto server:

Its built with a Abit BP6, dual P2 Celeron @ 400MHz each, at the time of these pics it had a little shy of 300 MB of ram, and it has a pair of salvaged hard drives 16GB and 8GB.

It has an old ATI Rage3D vid card, and its powered off some oldass compaq PSU I scavanged from my brothers old comp.

Unfortunately, I couldnt get a hold of a case, so I cut some holes in an old motherboard box, and glued in some mobo standoffs, and the ghetto server was born!

GhettoServer-Open.jpg

GhettoServer-Closed.jpg

I wish I had taken more pics of this monstrosity, but last spring, I found an old ATX case sitting on the side of the street, which has become its new home, and the ghetto server was no more :(

please resize those pictures. Come on now, i am on a 15in monitor here at work and cant even see half the pic at a 1024x768 resolution. the only thing i can see is that it is a mobo in a box of some sort.

JEEVES

zalman2.jpe

now here we see 2 "mods"

1. my dremel-less modding of my zalman HSF to fit my abit nf7-s "unique" figure :p

2. my "built in" fanmate for my zalman HSF into the psu (really just duct tape)

also, there is a twisty-tie holding some wires up, and all of those molex's looking sexy in a line like that(they are all my fans) :D

I hacksawed my Zalman to fit my NF7-S board but it doesnt look too ghetto.

Afroman is a little place about 100 miles past ghetto. Luv that stuff.

Quite a popular thread this has turned into.

awdark said:
that afrotechmods site is scary.

I at least tried to make my ghetto mod not look ghetto haha
http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v181/awdark/forums/Box/Buitbox.jpg[img]

[url]http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=771685[/url] (since then I have changed the heatsink, hard drive, ram, and a few sheets of cardboard I did end up running into it.)[/QUOTE]

I remember that worklog. Brings back memories of yestermonth. :rolleyes:

Is that on all day/night? As long as its just sitting there idling waiting for something to do, make some real use for it and help science in the process, running Folding at Home on it. Check these links, if you dont run folding already.

[url]http://folding.stanford.edu/[/url]
[url]http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=759399[/url]
[url]http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=759393[/url]

Don't be bashful about your specs either. I'm running an 800MHz P3 as my main rig and its folding 24/7.:)

/shameless plug for folding

Captain Colonoscopy said:
This is my other ghetto mod that I'm quite proud of. The fan on my GPU died so I rummaged through my ever-growing pile of pc crap and found an unused intel retail HSF from a 2.8 prescott. I tore the fan off the HSF and zip-tied the mofo to my card. It is awesome. I can OC my card to the maximum settings available in powerstrip now.
http://img31.exs.cx/img31/1083/Guts03Small.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I just did the exact same thing on my video card. The fan I replaced with that big 80mm fan in my first post went onto the card. I didnt have any zip-ties available, so I used rubber bands. I never realised how much of a screamer that fan is, 17CFM @ 27DBA. Keep the GPU cool though, haven't tried over clocking it yet.

Poatree said:
This isnt Poatree, this asstacular mod belongs to his friend:

Last year while attending university, I underwent a project to build a server at the utmost minimum cost. The result was the ghetto server:

Its built with a Abit BP6, dual P2 Celeron @ 400MHz each, at the time of these pics it had a little shy of 300 MB of ram, and it has a pair of salvaged hard drives 16GB and 8GB.

It has an old ATI Rage3D vid card, and its powered off some oldass compaq PSU I scavanged from my brothers old comp.

Unfortunately, I couldnt get a hold of a case, so I cut some holes in an old motherboard box, and glued in some mobo standoffs, and the ghetto server was born!

http://img45.exs.cx/img45/8721/GhettoServer-Open.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img20.exs.cx/img20/5473/GhettoServer-Closed.jpg[IMG]

I wish I had taken more pics of this monstrosity, but last spring, I found an old ATX case sitting on the side of the street, which has become its new home, and the ghetto server was no more :([/QUOTE]

I'm getting ready to do that myself with my soon-to-be router. Just waiting on the PSU, then I'll have all the pieces to the puzzle. I think I've found a box suitable enough to hold it all quite well, just so happens to be from Newegg.

Captain Colonoscopy said:
-snip-

Guts03Small.jpg

-snip-

well whaddaya know... I did the same thing to my card... together with ine of these zalman heatpipe cooler things, O/Cing is fun again... :p

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
please resize those pictures. Come on now, i am on a 15in monitor here at work and cant even see half the pic at a 1024x768 resolution. the only thing i can see is that it is a mobo in a box of some sort.

JEEVES
Technology doesn't pitty the weak, get a new monitor

Aaaah Ghetto mods... Some history there...

The first one was with my HOT old K6-2 400... that thing ran about 60C on load, and not much cooler on idle, maybe 40 or so. Now, in the computer room, my PC was located right below the air conditioner... Some cardboard tubes and duct tape later, I had a nice tube going from the aircond exhaust, through the back of the PC, and directly onto the CPU heatsink... Idle temps 19C!!!! On load though it still went up to the same temps... No pics of that, though, was quite a while ago...

2nd, more duct tape and cardboard madness, as you can see on http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/diner/diner10.html, just scroll down a bit, you ought to recognise it.... Basically ducts to feed air from outside of the case onto the CPU, and a 120-60mm fandapter :eek: That was wish a celeron 600 on those slotket adapters.... I miss those, they made this kind of mod so much easier... You can also see the top of my old case, ghetto stripes on the paint job, just electrical tape across the yellow painted surface...

Since then, not much else, really... and I bow down to afrotech ;)

Ghetto mods are awesome. Its just engineering on a budget, with the finished products being damn funny at times.

Wow, those mods are ghetto as hell. I like the one with a pocketknife headphone holder, and the q-tip mod the most. Thats amazing. :p

I think that air duct might me at too sharp of an angle to do any good... but who knows :p

After 'borrowing' the case off my old Pentium 2 when I was waiting for my Ttake Tsunami to arrive, that old comp was running out of a cardboard box. Seeing as that case had no fans at all on it (in fact even the cpu was passively cooled) I thought it would be more healthy for my athlon 64 to selotape some old fans I could find onto some vents in it. Then I ran it with the side panel off and a desk fan blowing air into it at a 45 degree angle, until I realised that it may not be too good for the components so I just let my processor cook a bit (it was running at 65 load - so better than some Prescotts :p). Unfortunately I never got a chance ot take some pics and my mum threw the old pc out, along with the box :(

I want to put a computer in a rubbermaid container now. The perfect el-cheapo case. And to think I spent $80 on a super lanboy.

i made a video card cooler from an old cpu fan, and a few of those metal things that cover the pci slot things and some duct tape.

Mysticcal said:
Technology doesn't pitty the weak, get a new monitor

Ok, I have a laptop with 15.7" viewable screen at 1280x1024 and i have to scroll. Technology pities the stupid. Pics sized 1984x1488 are stupid.

Just when I think this thread is dead, some one brings it back.:)

This thread needs more pics.

sorry putting a comp in a box is not a mod anyone can build a comp. in a box. it requires zero skill. threads like this are just rediculous. not trying to be an @$$ but honestly. :rolleyes:

i've ziptied a retail amd hsf to my video card, and mounted a retail p4 hsf on my computer. with a tornado on it.

*did i mention i have an amd machine? a drill press and some screws was all it took, but it still looked like crap.

Back