Ghetto Crypto-Currency Mining Rigs

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at ThinkComputers has posted an article today that showcases some really ghetto crypto-currency mining rigs. How ghetto? Here's an example:

Last month we featured a post on some of the most insane Crypto-Currency Mining Rigs out there. While these are extremely impressive not everyone has the money, time or even space to build such setups. After seeing some really bad mining setups we wanted to show you the opposite end of the spectrum so we present to you some of the most ghetto Crypto-Currency Mining Rigs out there!

Some of those are super food stamp worthy. I wonder why there's so much GPU and not as much ASIC though. You need like a bajillion jigglewatts and some PCI-E when you could just get some USB dongles and...you know, mine with your dongle power.

Honestly, it reminds me of seeing pictures of people's grow rooms for weed.

Some of those are super food stamp worthy. I wonder why there's so much GPU and not as much ASIC though. You need like a bajillion jigglewatts and some PCI-E when you could just get some USB dongles and...you know, mine with your dongle power.

It's because the crypto economy is similar to any other economy, it requires investment to conjure the currency. The more you invest, the faster you can create your crypto coins, the rich get richer, etc. etc.

It's because the crypto economy is similar to any other economy, it requires investment to conjure the currency. The more you invest, the faster you can create your crypto coins, the rich get richer, etc. etc.

USB Antminers look generally faster, are about the size of a thumb drive, and cost like $50 USD.

http://www.amazon.com/Bitmain-Antmi...IGDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394548676&sr=8-1

Disclaimer: I admit I don't _know_ if they're faster, but one of them is rated at like 1.6 - 2.0 GH/s and only uses like 2.5 watts. That seems a lot more betterer than anything the a bunch of GPUs can do for the same number of dollars and power budget.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
USB Antminers look generally faster, are about the size of a thumb drive, and cost like $50 USD.

http://www.amazon.com/Bitmain-Antmi...IGDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394548676&sr=8-1

Disclaimer: I admit I don't _know_ if they're faster, but one of them is rated at like 1.6 - 2.0 GH/s and only uses like 2.5 watts. That seems a lot more betterer than anything the a bunch of GPUs can do for the same number of dollars and power budget.

Now imagine you could buy 50,000 of them instead of your neighbour who can only buy six.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

GPU miners mine scrypt based coins (Litecoin and associated altcoins) whereas ASICs really only currently mine the SHA-256 based coins (Bitcoins and associated altcoins).

Now imagine you could buy 50,000 of them instead of your neighbour who can only buy six.

That's a lot of dongles! :eek: But okay, I get your point.

GPU miners mine scrypt based coins (Litecoin and associated altcoins) whereas ASICs really only currently mine the SHA-256 based coins (Bitcoins and associated altcoins).

Ah hah! Those are apparently for sale too, but more expensive/uses more power/slower but also mine BTC at the same time at a pretty high speed:

http://www.dualminer.com/
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014...-in-the-wild-introducing-dualminer-usb-miner/

Ah hah! Those are apparently for sale too, but more expensive/uses more power/slower but also mine BTC at the same time at a pretty high speed:

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014...-in-the-wild-introducing-dualminer-usb-miner/

There's a lot of talk about scammy bitcoin asics out there. I would recommend looking for some reviews of off-the-shelf units before investing in them.

The ASIC available for Litecoin isn't *that* bad of a deal in comparison to a similar spec'd GPU rig. For the same amount of money invested, you get 1 less MH/s (1000 kH/s) but save around 1000w of power. I have around 9 cards on backorder .. I didn't cancel those (eh..I can always sell them), but I'm going to start doing ASIC's.

The advantage being that because of the low power usage, you can run them longer even when the difficulty grows, so they'll stay profitable longer because of less power used.

Flipside ... There's also already coins using spinoffs of Scrypt. So as coins switch to those, the ASIC's become worthless to mine those particular coins.

Here is my entry. Ghetto enough for ya?

14nzcc0.jpg

2uemd1u.jpg

What is connected on the output of the cards?
Looks like a DVI to VGA and a grey thingy...

Lets see, open milk container case used as case, check
multiple parts not directly attached to the motherboard, check
non conventional ways of "mounting" to your case, check
Oversized desk fan that has the power to cool room, fail. Sorry not ghetto enough, while I do see a computer fan at some odd angle in the corner, it's not ghettofabulous enough unless you have big fan laying on top of the whole thing.

I do not think all of these are quite so bad.

I mean, there are a lot of video cards and motherboards to wire and we all can't afford a warehouse to setup like a datacenter.

What is connected on the output of the cards?
Looks like a DVI to VGA and a grey thingy...

Those are dummy plugs. They fool the card into thinking there is an old analog monitor attached, because some cards will not mine without a monitor connected.

These are old pictures from when GPU mining for BTC was viable,even the usb miners are pointless now.

So how much money can someone realistically generate per day from various cryptocurrencies at current rates with a $1000 investment into the ideal available setup? Not how much profit, but how much money generated?

These are old pictures from when GPU mining for BTC was viable,even the usb miners are pointless now.

So in like 5 years or so, CPUs, GPUs, and ASICs are all pointless. What do you mine with now, a sonic toothbrush that has a bunch of razor blades attached? Maybe that's why there's so much scamming and stealing happening now, because that takes less effort and cost than mining.

So in like 5 years or so, CPUs, GPUs, and ASICs are all pointless. What do you mine with now, a sonic toothbrush that has a bunch of razor blades attached? Maybe that's why there's so much scamming and stealing happening now, because that takes less effort and cost than mining.

Jesus christ you are an idiot.

So how much money can someone realistically generate per day from various cryptocurrencies at current rates with a $1000 investment into the ideal available setup? Not how much profit, but how much money generated?

Completely from scratch, that would comfortably get you a machine with 3 R9 270s (~$100+ left over). That would get you a total hashrate of about 1.44 Mh/s. Coin hopping pools are netting about 0.006 BTC per Mh/s per day, so about 0.0086 BTC/day. At current BTC prices (~$640/BTC), you're looking at about $5.50 a day in revenue.

Going up to about a $1300 investment total, you could do the same setup with 5 R9 270s for a total of about 2.4 Mh/s, so about $9.20 a day.

Completely from scratch, that would comfortably get you a machine with 3 R9 270s (~$100+ left over). That would get you a total hashrate of about 1.44 Mh/s. Coin hopping pools are netting about 0.006 BTC per Mh/s per day, so about 0.0086 BTC/day. At current BTC prices (~$640/BTC), you're looking at about $5.50 a day in revenue.

Going up to about a $1300 investment total, you could do the same setup with 5 R9 270s for a total of about 2.4 Mh/s, so about $9.20 a day.

Conservatively, ~500W power draw on the first machine, ~800W on the second.

Just a question is most of the power draw for these cards for processing or trying to keep them cool? Sorry if its stupid just generally curious.

Just a question is most of the power draw for these cards for processing or trying to keep them cool? Sorry if its stupid just generally curious.

Processing. The fans only draw a few Watts, at most.

Hmmm, it seems to me, and this is a guesstimate, that more money is being spent on electricity than the value of the generated coins themselves. I have a suspicion a lot of the profit realized from mining comes from miners who don't have to pay an electricity bill... :)

Back