Ghetto bounce flash

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm a noobie photographer that just recently purchased a nikon d40. Upon reading about slr's and what not, I came across the concept of bounce flash and how it really makes in door pics look much nicer. I'm kinda cheap and poor, so I don't have the funds to buy some external flash, so I stumbled upon a site recommending a lightscoop for people who cant buy a flash. But being the cheap person I am, I thought the lightscoop didn't look like its worth $30, and I ghetto modded my own version, though it isn't refined as his. Basically a little compact mirror my mom had lying around taped to some cardboard which holds it in place. Not the most stable thing, but its all experimentation. Also looks like crap, but ahha, its the pics that count.

Works great so far. I'm pretty sure i'm not getting the full benefit of a new flash, but this works well for me with great results. I never knew a direct flash was so bad!

Ghetto mod (taken with cell phone):
678t95.jpg

Pics:

regular flash
14j2r14.jpg

ghetto bounce flash
2mf1b2h.jpg

regular flash
5nvwbc.jpg

ghetto bounce flash
1jmhhg.jpg

I just use bent foam board that I cut from a lumiquest template. Works great. There is always "a better bounce card" you can use for free too...

pics look great and I just got that same monitor. Seems nice enough and not bad at $209 from BB. Anyways, now lets seem some portraits with that thing!

At my brother's wedding, I used the white cardboard seating cards to the same function. It worked surprisingly well.

That's seriously all you did and it made that much difference? I'm not trying to sound skeptical but it really looks like you turned on an overhead light. Impressive results. Ghetto mods FTW :p

Ghetto works a lot of the time and those results are pretty impressive, good work :D (Sneaks away to break wife's makup mirror....)

Back